Weight lifting belt?

Options
I have been working with a trainer for 3 years. About 6 months ago started focusing on heavy lifting (squat, DL, OHP, bench) with ancillary work to support the primary. Today, he suggested that I invest in a belt. To put this in context, I was deadlifting - 195# (please don't laugh), which was a 10# improvement over my previous PR. It was ugly, but I didn't hurt myself or drop anything.

If it matters, I am female, 52 Y/O, 5'6", 166 pounds.

For those of you who lift, what are your thoughts of the pros and cons of belts? I always thought they were for really big dudes who are lifting houses or throwing telephone poles. I am not adverse to taking his advice, but I like to do research prior to deciding. I have seen a lot of experienced lifters on this forum, so this was my first stop.

Thank you in advance for sharing! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a trainer for 3 years. About 6 months ago started focusing on heavy lifting (squat, DL, OHP, bench) with ancillary work to support the primary. Today, he suggested that I invest in a belt. To put this in context, I was deadlifting - 195# (please don't laugh), which was a 10# improvement over my previous PR. It was ugly, but I didn't hurt myself or drop anything.

For those of you who lift, what are your thoughts of the pros and cons of belts? I always thought they were for really big dudes who are lifting houses or throwing telephone poles. I am not adverse to taking his advice, but I like to do research prior to deciding. I have seen a lot of experienced lifters on this forum, so this was my first stop.

I can't help much, but why would we laugh at deadlifting 195lb??? I thought I was doing pretty well after a year hitting 90kg (198lb) and I have a 20+ year advantage on you!
  • Lozz68
    Lozz68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have started training for powerlifting and have been using a belt for the past month or so. Benefit of using a belt is obviously lifting more weight, but for me it does more than just that.

I can squat & deadlift more with a belt, and therefore put more load on the leg muscles than I could otherwise. But the belt also helps me learn how to keep my body tight - and pushing against it is actually strengthening my abs and allowing me to get stronger and lift more even when the belt comes off!

Only con for me is that sometimes I get bruised from the belt digging into me during training but for me it isnt really a problem.

I am current using (borrowing) a Titan Toro lever belt but am investing in an Inzer Forever lever belt as soon as the Australian rep is set up :)

(and for the record - i am only DLing 220lbs (100kgs)
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    They're good for forcing you to recruit your abs more, as you're supposed to push your gut out against the belt to create more tension in your core and stabilize it as well.
    There's a lot of boogie man myths about it, like it's going to make you not use your core as much (which is total crap if you're using the belt properly), or that it encourages bad form and doesn't allow the trainee to force himself to use good form. That's total crap as well. Your form can still be garbage with a belt as much as it can be without it, and since you don't really start using a belt after having learned the lifts properly anyway, you'll still know how to do the lift properly.
    The only downside to the belt is that it de-emphasizes use of the lower back, and if you don't engage your core properly they're going to teach you to not use your abs as you should either, but that's as simple as pushing out against the belt instead of sucking your stomach in or leaving it loose. The lower back thing can be solved by only using it for your highest lifts, and including things like hypertensions in your workout, a small price to pay to increase your lifts.

Another common myth is that the weight you can pull with the belt, you'll never be able to pull without, which is complete and utter garbage. I'm deadlifting close to 435 pounds and previously I couldn't lift 395 without a belt, now that my 1RM is up at 435 I can easily lift 395 without a belt. Your body isn't stupid, it will keep up as long as you pay attention.

I think he's right, a belt is a good investment and can give you bigger returns in your training if you're serious about it, and your deadlift is fantastic and nothing to be embarrassed about.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I just got a belt, and feel much better upping the weight on my DLs now. Plus it's pink, so that makes it extra helpful, right? :wink:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    work on your breathing techniques, mainly vasalvas as these will greatly help strengthen your core and provide support to your spine. at some point you might reach the stage where you need a belt but 195 DL should not be it

http://www.breathing.com/articles/valsalvas-maneuver.htm\
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3750086
    http://standontheshouldersofgiants.wordpress.com/tag/partial-valsalva/
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't set a specific DL or squat number to warrant a belt. I use mine at about 75% and up. I prefer beltless up to that point so that I am bracing my core as I should be anyway. The belt just gives me reassurance but it should not be crutch for bad technique.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Belts are great for supporting your abs while lifting, but even better is building a strong core so you don't need a belt. I am personally against using them because I think people should be well rounded and that means developing a strong core to support your lifts.
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    work on your breathing techniques, mainly vasalvas as these will greatly help strengthen your core and provide support to your spine. at some point you might reach the stage where you need a belt but 195 DL should not be it

http://www.breathing.com/articles/valsalvas-maneuver.htm\
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3750086
    http://standontheshouldersofgiants.wordpress.com/tag/partial-valsalva/

You can use a belt whenever you feel, even if your lifts are lighter than some people's (which her's isn't), the valsalva isn't a substitute for a belt. There's no point that you "need" a belt other than the point where you feel like you want to lift more than you're capable of without assistance, it's as simple as that, there isn't a magic number.
    Belts are great for supporting your abs while lifting, but even better is building a strong core so you don't need a belt. I am personally against using them because I think people should be well rounded and that means developing a strong core to support your lifts.

This is completely untrue, the belt doesn't replace your core as a source of intra-abdominal pressure, it only compliments it. If you've actually used a belt properly you'd realize that your abs hurt significantly more afterwards than they ever did without the belt. The belt forces you to recruit your anterior core muscles. You can always wear a belt and not push out against it, but then you might as well not be wearing a belt and never using your core without it, because that's basically what you're doing.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options

First off. There will be no laughing at 195! that is great! I personally chose to not use a belt. I figure I need to build the stability muscles in my core that allow me to stabilize lifting heavier weights as well. If you have had an injury to your back you may want to consider one, but if not I would for go the belt. Again, my personal opinion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I've used a belt since '83. Most of the time I just "wear" it just in case I may need it. It has a placebo effect on me I guess. I feel stronger with it on even if it's not tightened up. I'll tighten it when I start doing things like over head presses, heavy squats, deadlifts and rows.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I don't use a belt unless I feel really stiff.

For deadlifts, I deadlift 405 for 4 reps no belt no straps now. When I was lighter by 40 lbs(205 lbs) but stronger(more muscle/less fat) I could do 495lbs for 4 reps( no belt no straps). I am by no means a power lifter.

If I wanted to go 'heavier' and felt my bad rounding too much, I would have started using a belt and a strap, but I was fine at that point. But I trained for years so that I can strengthen my core/glutes/hamstring/grip so that I did not have to use a belt.

By using a belt, you are pushing OUT against the belt and creating intra abdominal pressure to stabilize your core. IF your glutes/hamstring/core is strong enough, you don't need a belt.

Think of it this way. It's like doing pullups with an elastic band or doing an assisted pullup. It'll still work all the necessary muscles, but eventually you will have to do the pullups on your own.

Just lifting the weight up and down isn't a PR imo. If your form breaks, move down on weight and train properly from scratch.

If your hip drive isn't as strong as it should be, work specifically on workouts that will improve your hip drive. It'll improve your deadlift a lot since most of the power comes from driving your hip forward/up.
  • jshort152
    Options
    Belts weaken lumbar, I don't use one, none of my clients use one, and none of my athletes use one either.

Jesse Short, ISSA-CFT, SSC
  • Lozz68
    Lozz68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This study was something i came across while researching belts for myself : -

http://gregnuckols.com/2013/12/04/should-you-wear-a-belt-or-not-study-write-up/

"Based on the variables assessed in this study, it seems like one could use it to argue for training with a belt. Wearing a belt allows you to lift more weight, and even with the same training weights it increases muscle activation in the quads and hamstrings without decreasing abdominal activation. An argument for beltless training either needs counter evidence or a rationale based on other variables."
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one, this is very helpful! I should have mentioned that my PT mentioned this at the end of the session, so I hadn't had a chance to ask why.

I have been doing core work since the beginning - (spent a lot of time on core work before doing any compound lifts at all), but over the past 6 months have realized that I need more. I will continue to work on this. Good info on how to use the belt, new info for me!

Along_Came_Molly - you provided the most critical information of all: you can get one in pink! I have pink lifting shoes and a pink jump rope. I also wear my hair in two pigtails like an 8 year old with pink holders. Now I have to get a pink belt.

Also, thank you for not laughing at me for my DL PR. I am proud of it because I have come so far, but I see so many on the forum talking about larger lift numbers by smaller women I wasn't sure if I was one of the cool kids yet. Maybe I am. :blushing:

edited to correct Molly's name
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Belts weaken lumbar, I don't use one, none of my clients use one, and none of my athletes use one either.

Do you have any proof of this?
  • evanick528
    evanick528 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use a Harbinger 4" belt on my PRs and sometimes working sets for deadlifts and squats. Ive had some lower back problems in the past and this give me some comfort. Ive been able to hit new PRs left and right when using the belt. I am also trying to strengthen my core too. I don't want to not work my legs to full potential just because my core isn't up to par.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

This would be true IF the belt was worn TIGHTENED all the time. With the exception of Hulk Hogan, I don't see too many lifters wearing belts outside of the gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Just lifting the weight up and down isn't a PR imo. If your form breaks, move down on weight and train properly from scratch.

I agree - and I am working with a trainer who also agrees, so I don't get credit unless form meets his minimum standards (which is less than perfect at 1RM). My least favorite thing is being "demoted" - reduction in weight because of poor form. But I appreciate that it is the right thing to do. I have already exceeded anything that I thought I would be capable of, and want to see where my limits are - as long as I am doing it the right way. I know poor form = increased risk of injury. I am risk adverse.

Thanks for your comments, and advice.