Newlywed food advice

Options
2»

Replies

• strongwoman84
    strongwoman84 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Some of you had some great advice, and some of you were all out rude. If you actually read my post it stated that I didn't think it was fair to have him do without and that he shouldn't be penalized as well as knowing that this was my journey. I am rather shocked how some people can be so quick to cut someone down without knowing them. So much for myfitnessPAL. Here's some advice for some of you, if you don't have anything positive or constructive to say to someone looking for advice then shove off. For those of you that actually did offer some support/advice/understanding. I am going to have a conversation with my husband very soon about doing meal planning and suggest some of the other options that were presented. Learning to live with someone always takes some adjusting, I guess this is just one of those places. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.
  • rogerhartford
    Options
    In our home, if my wife wants a more caloric meal, I will have the same thing but in a smaller portion and add a salad or extra veggies. You really can have anything if you mind the portions. I know moderation is hard sometimes, but filling up with other low-cal foods plus water might be a good option.

Also, keep in mind that you are only responsible for yourself, not for everyone. You can only do this for you.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Some of you had some great advice, and some of you were all out rude. If you actually read my post it stated that I didn't think it was fair to have him do without and that he shouldn't be penalized as well as knowing that this was my journey. I am rather shocked how some people can be so quick to cut someone down without knowing them. So much for myfitnessPAL. Here's some advice for some of you, if you don't have anything positive or constructive to say to someone looking for advice then shove off. For those of you that actually did offer some support/advice/understanding. I am going to have a conversation with my husband very soon about doing meal planning and suggest some of the other options that were presented. Learning to live with someone always takes some adjusting, I guess this is just one of those places. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

sounds like you need a snickers.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Listen. If he's 100 pounds lighter and can eat two pieces of pizza and be satisfied... He's doing it right. Be like hubs. Absolutely not fair to expect him to change OR to "understand" you--this is on you. The two of you have a whole life coming up. Set up for health and wellness and fitness.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

The responses you got here are pretty mild compared to what you'll see in other forums or even on other MFP boards. Sometimes we need a wee spanking to make us think. I hope you at least consider what you've heard! Some of us have been living with Thin Man for a long, long time :)
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    I have a really similar issue with my fiance. What I've found works is having separate food, which might not be an option for you. I eat a lot more vegetables and salads, basically. That way, I can have the same food he's having if I want it--like if he gets a pizza, he'll have 4 slices of pizza as a meal, and I'll have 2 slices but also have a big salad or some light soup so I get full on fewer calories. If he makes a bunch of mozzarella sticks or jalapeno poppers, I'll have one or two if I want but supplement that with a lighter snack like fresh fruit, some chips and salsa, or something else with fewer calories and more bulk.
  • just__ducky
    Options
    I didn't read all the answers, so this might have already been posted, but put together a list of your husbands favorite munchies, from that list pick out things you don't care that much for. That way the munchies he has in the house won't temped you so much.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

sounds like you need a snickers.

maybe two ….or share one with hubby?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    divorce is always an option ...

If she takes away his pizza I think it's the only option
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Really? I thought you received rather thoughtful answers. Just because you didn't like hearing them doesn't mean they were rude or cruel or less valid.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    You need to ask yourself if you're willing to give up pizza the rest of your life? If not, then keeping it out of the house isn't the issue. It's learning how to not over eat it. And that happens to be the problem with 65% of overweight people in the US.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think it is unfair to decide to lose weight and ask a spouse, who has no problem with weight, to not have the foods they like to eat in their own home.

I do think that spouses should be supportive but this only extends so far. My husband tries to be mindful when cooking and shopping but, in the end, I think it is up to me to learn how to say no. So, if he makes something that I don't want to eat (for whatever reason) I make something for myself. Or, if it is calorie dense but I still want some I'll have a small portion and then supplement with extra veggies.

But, I think it is unfair to tell him that he can't save his nightly ice cream just because I don't think I can control myself.

^ All of that. If you can't control yourself, OP, then that is your problem and your issues that need resolving.

This.

Although my fiance and I aren't getting married until later this year, we are currently living together, and he too is much more fit than I. But because of his muscle weight (he's at 12% and I'm at 28%) he can get away with eating more 'unhealthy foods. Every week at the store, he buys his potato chips, and snack cakes. But we still eat dinner together. And yeah, I may occasionally tease him to put the 'nasty' food down because I don't want him to die of a heart attack, if I were to dare ever approach the subject of removing them from the house, I think it would be our biggest argument yet. I just control myself. He supports my diet, and well I support his. All of his junk food is separated from mine. And then, another example, I made him chocolate chip cookies tonight before he came home(which he loves), but he gave me the tiny last piece of steak and took the last of veggies because he knows my diet requires more protein than carbs. I mean, we're talking about a man giving up steak!...it probably helped that I had potatoes for him as well. :wink: (those were only for him because of the carbs, but he loves potatoes!). It's a matter of compromise, knowing each other's diet, needs, and weaknesses.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

oh hell no….you be getting smacked for dat up in dis house!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

oh hell no….you be getting smacked for dat up in dis house!

Abuse!

I mean, of course, for withholding pizza
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Listen. If he's 100 pounds lighter and can eat two pieces of pizza and be satisfied... He's doing it right. Be like hubs. Absolutely not fair to expect him to change OR to "understand" you--this is on you. The two of you have a whole life coming up. Set up for health and wellness and fitness.

Completely disagree with this statement. In a marriage you need to support each other. If wife is struggling, lend her a hand of support, not blindly expect her to "be like hubs." That's short sighted and ignorant.