Why don't guys do Zumba?

Options

Replies

• craigster123
    craigster123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As a man, I sometime feel weird when everyone else in the class is a woman. However, that also means that when it comes to dancing - the romantic side of life - there isn't much competition. Even in high school, I took dance and had lots of girls around because many women like a guy who can dance. I'm a one woman man now (married for 25 years), but Zumba is a great way for us to get lean together and have fun.

MUCH better than a spinning class both in calories burned and whole body strengthening. After Zumba, I found that my racquetball game radically improved because of the pounding Zumba gives to my calves. Much more explosive.

Weights have a purpose, and hat is to define, strengthen, and bulk up. Zumba and dancing yields the easy grace of a Cary Grant.
  • zazieinedinburgh
    Options
    Because if you gyrate your hips as a man your testosterone privileges will be revoked. Then you will have your own jiggling boobs to watch.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken a class yet, but I do it on the wii. There are a few lady instructors and one lone dude. And the dude usually does the salsa type moves from what I've seen. He does one dance though, that is super feminine and showy and he just looks..weird. It throws me off my game to see him sashay around like he's at a burlesque night club.

But he's a soulless automaton. They all look weird and creepy to me.

Keep in mind, I looooove a guy with some moves. There's nothing wrong with a dude shaking his hips to the beat, especially if he's good at it. I just prefer to see them irl and not computer animated.

That being said, I would totally slam down on a Zumba game with Shrek as the instructor. Get on this, Dreamworks!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    To make a sweeping generalization... men seem to prefer competitive exercise, even if they're only competing against themselves. Lifting more, running faster, scoring points, etc.

There's no winner at Zumba. Except the guy in the back of the class watchin' all the booties bouncing around.

Hits the nail right on the head.
  • endlesswonderr
    endlesswonderr Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There are lots of guys doing the zumba/dance classes at my gym... most of them are regulars. I didn't know it was that uncommon haha
  • balladish
    Options
    I'm a guy who has been doing Zumba for over three years. My main motivation is the massive cardio/endurance training Zumba gives you. I also happen to love music and dancing.

When I first joined I was very, very intimidated. The classes are usually filled with women with the odd two or three men. I remember thinking how I was convinced that the women would think I'm a pervert who's just there to watch them dance. Eventually the intense workout and the fun took over and I just learned to be more self confident and focus on the workout. Losing 15 lbs in six weeks also helped. I've become a staple in the class, sometimes even stepping in for the instructor, and I've made some really good friends in the class. Even though I have plateaued as far as endurance/muscle/cardio is concerned, I have been able to stay within five pounds of my ideal weight throughout this time. I am now going for my zumba instructor license.

If you're looking to put on muscle, especially upper body, Zumba is not for you. But if you enjoy dancing and want a really challenging and fun cardio workout, I would definitely recommend it. It takes self confidence for a guy to do Zumba, there's not doubt about that. But if women can head into the weight room, and be welcomed there, why can't men join Zumba?

Edited to add: I agree with everyone who said that the quality of a Zumba class is very, very instructor-specific. I've been in classes where the energy was lacking and the difficulty a joke. The best classes are those where the instructor combines boot camp / interval moves into their moves. I have burned 700+ calories in a single 60 minute Zumba class. So look for a class that offers a level of difficulty in line with your skills.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    For the same reason that lots of females don't want to lift weights...................................it doesn't interest them.

My personal opinion of Zumba is that it's very popular right now because women that want to dance, get to dance. Their husbands and significant others won't take them out (really when was the last time you've went out dancing since being together) so this is a class where you don't have to dress up, don't have to be perfect and can just enjoy dance and music.

And the other...................................most guys have no rhythm or just can't follow choreography. Lifting weights basically has only 2 steps....................up and down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Generally because it makes you look like a plonker so only girls can get away with it
  • toddselle7
    Options
    I've avoided Zumba for two reasons - one with some legitimacy IMHO, and one that's a wrinkle in my psyche I plan to overcome

The substantive reason is timing. Like lots of people today I work more than an 8-hour day, and find it challenging - especially during the work week - to show up at a designated time to a social event scheduled on an evening. Too often work interferes, and I can't make it . . . but that's certainly not the case all the time.

The second - sillier- reason echos what some men here have expressed: the sense of awkwardness felt being a member of just one or two males in a class. A component of this is the "this is just too sissy" feeling, which strikes me as just a weakness of self-perception (my own included) - as if dancing is going to add or subtract from a guy's maleness a single whit. Years ago, when Jazzercize was more popular, lots of men participated in that different sort of dance-focused exercise class with no issues. Maybe we've been influenced by the steroid-enhanced images of strength in men's fitness magazines for too long since then. In any case, a tradition of dance for both men and women is ancient, and participating isn't strictly girly unless our mindset makes it so.

So my commitment is to try out one of the Zumba classes at my gym soon. If my aging joints don't complain too much and it's enough of a cardio workout, I'll keep including them in my fitness regimen. I'm glad this topic was raised here; gives me a chance to grow a bit.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    bethira wrote: »
    I attend an early morning Zumba class. It's typically about 10 - 12 ladies and one older gentleman with the worst rhythm I've ever seen in a human but his smile and energy are infectious. He's been a fixture in this class since before I joined the group and earlier this week another older gentleman who I've seen watching us through the glass door finally came in and joined us. He stayed to the back of the class but seemed to be enjoying himself. I hope to see him in future classes.

But why don't more men do Zumba? It's fun. The workout is intense. There are a lot of jiggling boobs to watch if nothing else. Or am I stereotyping based on my admittedly limited point of view? Guys, please weigh in. :happy:

I used to do Zumba with a certain teacher in Maine. I just didn't know of the extra services offered. I felt left out.

Switched to yoga.
  • hector60505
    hector60505 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have done it a couple times just to change things up yes its good cardio but hard to learn all the steps I hope to get better at it .
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Basketball is my cardio. Weights are my training. Zumba is cool and all, but I don't like dancing. I like competition. I can't get that from Zumba.
  • ZumbaDragon
    ZumbaDragon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba Instructor. I AM the guy in the class. From my perspective, most guys think it's too girly. But that's because most men can't dance or they choose not to see alternatives. I've been doing Zumba for 6 1/2 years and I've been an instructor for four of them. I've masculinized so many of the girl instructors' moves that very few people can tell the difference anymore. For the guys afraid to try it, it's simply about adapting whatever moves you see in front of you to your own body. One of the things I like about my class is that when guys see me doing what I love and then realize that I'm not gay, that I'm just like them and just move better, it makes them less afraid to try it. Having beautiful women who come to class on the regular and showing the guys how to partner some of these ladies helps as well. I don't just do the standard Zumba stuff that a lot of group fitness instructors do. I bring in EVERYTHING I ever learned. From basketball to martial arts to b-boy to partner dances (like bachata). The music also makes a HUGE difference for the class because not everyone can get down with Meghan Trainor, Justin Timberlake, Macklemore, Silento, or Li'l Jon. So I have a variety that I allows me to cater to many instead of just a few. Classic Latin, Latin House, Soca, Dembow, Axe, Samba, Salsa, Rock, Pop, R&B, Hip-Hop, K-Pop, etc. If it moves me, I can make it move someone else, no problem.
  • ZumbaDragon
    ZumbaDragon Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Also, there are different levels of Zumba, just like there different types of people. If you don't think you can get a good workout, come see me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    bethira wrote: »
    I attend an early morning Zumba class. It's typically about 10 - 12 ladies and one older gentleman with the worst rhythm I've ever seen in a human but his smile and energy are infectious. He's been a fixture in this class since before I joined the group and earlier this week another older gentleman who I've seen watching us through the glass door finally came in and joined us. He stayed to the back of the class but seemed to be enjoying himself. I hope to see him in future classes.

But why don't more men do Zumba? It's fun. The workout is intense. There are a lot of jiggling boobs to watch if nothing else. Or am I stereotyping based on my admittedly limited point of view? Guys, please weigh in. :happy:
    Same reason that they didn't join in step classes, aerobics classes, body pump classes in high numbers. Men usually don't like to work out for fun. They like to work out to improve their muscles. Which is why most men would rather hit the weights than an cardio class. Men will do cardio too, but like weight lifting, it seems they like to do it on their own.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy and I tried a zumba class once. Like Roadie, I didn't like it.

It's comprised mainly of women, which you'd think would be a plus for a guy, but it's like high school where all the girls just hang together and are suspicious of any guy in the class because they think he's there just to pick up chicks, so they keep their distance.

Also, like most men, I don't like to dance -- no natural rhythm -- and like most men, I don't like to look foolish, especially in front of a group of women. The routines are geared mainly to the kinds of movements that woman can do well -- a lot of hip action -- which aren't the same as those that men can do well and men simply look dumb trying to do them. Kinda like when a guy is pulled up on the hula stage in Hawaii and made to do the hula. It's hilarious because the men can't do it well but that's not how men like to been seen.

Lastly, I could see that the class would provide a good cardio workout for those who could keep up w/the instructor but MOST of the women there couldn't and didn't try, they were there mainly socialize and to just have "fun." Nothing wrong w/that but that's not why men would join.

So, these are the main reasons why I would never bother taking a zumba class again.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm a girl, tried Zumba didn't like it ..but then I generally don't like class activities

I love to dance

And I love to lift heavy stuff and put it down again
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Also, like most men, I don't like to dance -- no natural rhythm -- and like most men, I don't like to look foolish, .

Never tried it, but the above is true for me.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In general, guys tend to not do group fitness classes (possible exception of spinning). At our club, even the toughest boot camp and kickboxing classes are almost all female.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    As mentioned above - like many men I'm not that interested in exercise classes plus my work life is complicated so I don't have enough structure to allow regular class attendance. I'd be willing to give Zumba a try if I was there with my wife but I suspect I'd look a proper dork!