Needing support from people struggling to maintain?

Options
Hey,
I'm Christina!
Over this year, I have lost 60+ pounds. (I went from 163.4 to maintaining around 103)
I didn't lose this weight in the healthiest of ways sometimes. I would fast and restrict on some days...But since September I have been eating 1000+ And since the beginning of this month I have been eating 1400+

I am struggling to maintain though...I know meeting my goal weight should make me feel accomplished but it makes me sort of sad...I miss having something to look forward to when I stepped on the scale..Now I just step on it and see..the same thing.

Also...I feel as though other people are allowed to eat more than me... MFP is telling me I maintain at 1510...is that a normal amount? Or is that lower than what most people eat?

I just need support right now >.<

Replies

• charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Pick a range weight that you are comfortable with and use that as a guide. Don't focus on a single number that you have to live with. Enjoy your food and live by the range goals. You will be much happier.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hiya.

I felt a bit aimless too! I'm old mind at 46 lol. I lost 28lbs with Biggest Loser - they say adjusting to the new game of maintenance can take 2 yrs!

I have found different obsessions and am now more focused on nutritional value of my foods and also trying different gym options and exercise techniques. It will be what you choose it to be so make a real effort to find a new interest (diet related or not) and you'll be fine I'm sure. I love my Fitbit for shifting my focus to activity as well as wt.

More importantly well done for the wt loss but more for now adopting sensible eating, feast/famine is the sure road to ruin, take from an old boiler!

Oh and I'm 5'2 and eat about 1500 to lose wt (with exercise) so unless you are shorter than me I would imagine you can up it but I tend to check on several internet resources to make such decisions.

Good luck :o)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    other people are 'allowed' to eat more?! what does that even mean... eating isnt something some people are 'allowed' to do, and some are not...

i find MFPs maintenance numbers are a little low, so you might find that 1500 is too little, or it might be enough... you'll just have to try it and see.
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Pick a range weight that you are comfortable with and use that as a guide. Don't focus on a single number that you have to live with. Enjoy your food and live by the range goals. You will be much happier.

This ^

I picked a number not to go over and focus on my fitness level. Right now, I noticed my fitness was slipping so I'm stepping up my game and making sure I eat really well this month. This was probably caused by the holidays, but I'm ok with it because I had fun :)

What you "can" eat without gaining is going to change with your activity level, age, and can be effected by things like your t.o.m and stress. Focusing on eating "well" (as in I feel well) and long term averages have worked for me.

Hope this helps!
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way at first. I dropped about thirty-five pounds (170--->135) and I noticed that I was getting disappointed that I wasn't losing any weight. I know it's a stupid thought and I know I really shouldn't lose additional weight but the thought it still there. I will tell you that the disappointment is slowly fading and I'm starting to feel happy that I am eating all kinds of stuff (junk/pizza/sliders/whatever) at a higher number of calories everyday and the weight is pretty much staying the same. As long as I am within my weekly calorie goals (because there are days when I'm at 4,000 calories and I just adjust my other days) I am fine.

How tall are you? Did you tell MFP that you are sedentary? (Are you?) These are two things that MFP seems to base your calories on from what I gather. If I were you, I'd up my calories to 1510 and always eat back calories. Not only that but you can always try upping your calories even more (1600, then 1700 if you want) and see if the weight stays off.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I am struggling to maintain though...I know meeting my goal weight should make me feel accomplished but it makes me sort of sad...I miss having something to look forward to when I stepped on the scale..Now I just step on it and see..the same thing.

Do you exercise? Having fitness related goals (not linked to weight loss) might help you fill in this void. It will also allow you to eat more calories :happy:
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hi Christina, welcome to maintenance & congrats on your weight loss. I wouldn't say Im struggling with maintenance but I am having some issues with it. Since begining maintenance I allowed myself an extra 300 calories (1500 total) but I never eat that much during the weekdays. I do however hit that if not more during the weekend. So far this has worked for me. I haven't gained any weight and have actually lost weight. But let me add that I am constatly worried about gaining weight & when I do eat extra on the weekend, I worry about it all the next week. Just wanted to let you know your not alone. :flowerforyou:
  • charleyreedto175
    Options
    Allowed to eat??? What the heck it that. I choose to eat and the choices I make affect my weight. I know my triggers and as long as I can live with the end result I eat what I want. So yes I get on the scale daily and yes that determines how I feel about eating and working out. But hey, I just like the challenge.
  • charleyreedto175
    Options
    If you want support you can friend me. Any way you slice it Good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    I struggle a bit with maintenance, too. I kinda cut calories during the day, and then over eat at night. I tend to lose weight if I eat under 1900-2000, so my husband is trying to get me to eat more. If I eat more during the day, I am less likely to binge at night. Its a mind game I struggle with. I think I'm going to gain, but haven't yet. Well, nothing significant, just the normal 2-4lb fluctuations. I am lifting, so gaining a little would be ok. I just don't want to out-gain my new clothes! Down to 0 from a 10.
  • Chop80
    Chop80 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow!!! All of you guys are doing amazing!!! Keep up the good work. I'm new at this so i was just wondering how do i write my own post on the Message Board?? Thanks
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options

Do you exercise? Having fitness related goals (not linked to weight loss) might help you fill in this void. It will also allow you to eat more calories :happy:

TRUE... think of it like getting a second job- and that money is for the little extras- any extra burn from exercise gives you room for the less nutritious stuff- which you don't have to *deny* yourself, but eat more nutritional stuff FIRST, and then , if you want *snacks*, do some type of exercise to *make room*
    My suggestion- if you aren't all that active-
    start out small, just walking around your place Inside or out and up and down stairs, jogging if you can from time to time.
    ANYthing that gets your heart rate up and works muscles you aren't accustomed to using.
    I started out by parking further and further away in parking lots, and instead of leaving the shopping carts in the parking lot corral- I decided I'd take them back into the store.
    It's the little things that add up.
  • pottsella
    Options
    Congratulations on meeting your goal to lose......you did great. You sound very much like a goal oriented person so I would suggest you find other goals with your interests or hobbies or take on something totally new and exciting. Also, you might seek out the possibility that there is a group on-line that supports maintenance. Rem, it is not fun to get on the scale when the number is going UP! lol
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    First of all CONGRATS
    Though I love MFO, i dont get the cal number
    When I forst came here...I lost weight eating 1800 (yes I did!!!!!)
    Maintain i ate around 2000

I do work out but not at the gym (home) and have 2 kids so am always on the run and dont like to sit down
    BUT I feel if you want or feel like u need more cals...try to increase slowly and see how it goes

You should be SUPER proud
    maybe try to set fitness goals or other goals outside weight to keep u inspired
    Good luck
    Kim
  • katsaysmeow241515
    Options
    Congrats on meeting your goal! Thats awesome! Now that you're their, maybe try setting another goal, no for weight but maybe for fitness ( Cardio, strength etc) or try something else non-body related. Try maybe yoga or something fun and new to keep your mind off it :) Hope this opens up some suggestions!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    First up, well done on reaching your goal! Awesome job :smile:

Your calorie goal is effected by how tall you are, how much you weigh etc.

Eg, for me, my MFP setting for maintenance is something like 1450 (yes, seriously lol) - keeping in mind that you would add exercise calories onto that.

I prefer the TDEE method. Exercise calories are counted in it so I don't have to worry about how many calories I burned or 'earning' more food etc etc. I have it set at 1700 and aim to reach or exceed that.

My goals have changed. It's all about staying fit and healthy now - strength and a bit of cardio for me - and leading an active lifestyle.

So maybe take the emphasis off the scale now and put it onto something else - a new challenge.