Get Losing

Options
Hi I'm new here and was just looking for some help/advice. I've been following everything for one week, and maintained the 1,200 calories it's requiring me to eat in order to lose 1.1 pound per week. Yet last week i saw no change, so this was kind of disheartening because I at least thought i would go down a little bit! I weigh 145 and am 5'3/5'4 so i feel like it's basically impossible! This week i have started working out, going on the bike for 45 mins and losing ~450 calories each time, and only eating a little more than previously about 1,300 calories. Im eating a lot more health, basically all fruits, vegetables and good meats in moderation. I really want to lose 20 pounds in 3 months, do you think it's possible? If not what do you think is reasonable and how can I improve? Thank you!

Replies

• wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and started at 155 lbs. Until the holidays I was down 15 lbs (put a couple back on via the cookies!), but I found that 1200 calories was just too low for me. Since I refuse to "diet", I follow a sensible eating plan and try to stay below my TDEE. As it stands, I lose about .5 lb every two weeks or so. Because I don't want to get frustrated and binge, I allow myself the slow weight loss plan. Also, I try to walk 3 miles as many days as I can get in because that affords me an extra 250-300 calories. I do some body-resistance exercises (pushups, yoga, and squats), also, and that's helped me gain muscle strength. I've noticed that a couple of days before I show a weight loss on the scale I see a 3-lb gain. Depressing, but it happens every time, so I don't get myself upset about it anymore. Best wishes!
  • MsSoFly
    MsSoFly Posts: 16
    Options
    bump~
  • SheFitWalks
    SheFitWalks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and topped on my home scales at 151.5. I'm now down to 139 after 3 months. (I started MFP after I had lost a couple of pounds.) I can't really speak to losing 20 pounds in 3 months, since I didn't do it, but what really helped me stick with it was my FitBit. I have a friend who has lost 75 pounds and she had been using a FitBit. It really encouraged me to get moving. I know for me, I don't see my weight come down unless I'm really exercising.

I joined MyFitnessPal shortly after starting on the FitBit due to being able to track what I'm eating easier. My daughter recommended MFP and I've really been happy doing this. Some weeks, my weight goes up (probably around my period) and then all of the sudden it will drop a pound or two. But I found that I need to walk around 4 or 5 miles at least a couple of days of the week, with the other days being around 2 miles or so. I think everyone is going to be different though. Stick with it and you will find what works for you.

I have been using the Leslie Sansone Walking DVDs. I bought a couple years ago and just started using them again. I like that she says to just do what you can and not do everything in her walk if you're just starting out. It has worked for me.

I wish you all the best in your weight loss journey! I know you can do it! Hang in there and keep at it. Your weight will move down!