Best Socks for Running?

Options
Training for a half marathon....my feet are a wreck! Bought some Smartwool socks but they give me hot spots. Any recommendations for good socks? I am willing to invest in my feet.

Replies

• pps7
    pps7 Posts: 46
    Options
    Just bought a couple of pairs of Balega socks. OMG! So comfy.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Balega. Expensive but worth it.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I often run without socks, but when I use them, these are my favorite:

http://www.injinji.com/run.html
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I often run without socks, but when I use them, these are my favorite:

http://www.injinji.com/run.html

This^^^^
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Thorlos are my favorites. I love their cushioning and the silky, synthetic material they're made out of. I have very thin fat pads on my feet, high arches, and a suppination problem, but the cushioned socks definitely help keep my feet happy.

Balega socks are nice, too. But I only wear them when I have very cushiony shoes. They're a bit thinner, but the material is nice.
  • djfuller0
    Options
    Swiftwick Aspires. Accept no substitutes.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Seems like all the pairs I've bought in specialty running stores have been great
  • MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thorlo socks- The most comfortable socks that you will ever wear

Thorlo.com
  • stplatt
    stplatt Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I like drymax myself. Really, just go to your local running store and see what they have. I know a lot of people that swear by Injinji. Never tried them myself.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I love my Injinjis, but I just got a pair of Experias that are working out very well.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I have some Thorlo Experia socks and really like those but my favorites are the Injinji 5-toe socks. Never got a blister with the 5-toe socks.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Another Balega fan here.

I have had success using some of the Asics socks as well though.
  • EverythingIsTakenAgain
    Options
    Another vote for Balega. I just discovered them while training for my last marathon. I switched from wearing Thorlo Experias to Balega Hidden Comfort.
  • capricorn2721
    capricorn2721 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Balega socks are perfectly cushioned in just the right places. Yes they are a bit pricy but well worth it. Besides they will last quite a while.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You'll just need to try some and see what you like. I can't stand to have my feet get hot while running, so I like the thinnest socks possible and quite honestly the best sock that I've found was some no name generic sock from Target that worked amazing (for me). I also have drymax's that are okay, contains more heat around my foot than I would like.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those wonks that ran in good old tube socks for years without suffering unduly but for the last few years I've been using two layer wicking socks made by a Wright

http://www.socksaddict.com/Categories/275-Wrightsock.aspx/1?gclid=COixvaCDgbwCFeYWMgodRUQArg

Not terribly expensive and they seem to stand up to the miles.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've worn all the expensive running socks, but now I wear the cheap target Xhileration brand socks- they're like $2.00 (often cheaper), and they're poly/spandex......they're just as good as expensive running socks and they come in all kinds of funky colors and prints.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I run ultra/marathons and have tried several different ones. Wright socks works best for me and their life span is better than other brands. I do wear a pair of swift wicks 7 inch winter sock that comes up high and helps when it is raining, or cold. I also have Russell dry wick socks that that I got at Wal Mart. They work well for the elliptical, zumba, rpm, cobat class and body flow
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those wonks that ran in good old tube socks for years without suffering unduly...

When ever I use plain, every day socks, I get blisters.

However, any brand of running socks, I'm fine.

From my experience:
    Smartwool - wear out WAY too early for what they cost. They last me 1 pair of shoes! 300 miles. Thinned out at any rubbing spots, a few holes.
    REI running socks - Were quite nice, and decent price IIRC 50% of the smartwools. Lasted about 1000 miles before I put a hole in them, and that was just from pulling the cuffs to put them on lol.
    New Balance - I won a pair at a race. They felt just as good as the REIs, and I've but well over 1000 miles on them so far. I bought a 5 pack at Di. ck.'s for less than $20 after I put a hole in the next pair.
    Brooks - In a goodie bag at a race. Felt good. Lasted less than 200 miles till I put holes in with my toes :( . Bought more NB.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I swear by Balega. The Hidden Comforts are very nice but all the socks they make are high quality.