Calories PROS please HELP

Options
Hi All.

I am 33 years old. I had breast cancer, diagnosed this past July and after multiple months of treatment, a bi-lateral mastectomy and such I have packed on 30+ pounds. Please HELP. I have been faithfully eating my allotted calories and I'm not dropping anything. Please feel free to take a look at my diary. I drink between a gallon and 2 gallons of water a day so I don't track my water. Im 5'8 and weigh 240.

Unfortunately, since I am 10 weeks post surgery I have not gained permission to work out. I am not allowed to lift more than 5 pounds and any movement is limited due to the doctors thoughts that my first grade teaching job is physically demanding on my body right now. I have to get the calorie intake in control first.

Thank you everyone,

Replies

• charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    under normal circumstances you would be losing a little weight on that diet but your activity levels and metabolic hormones are off right now. you are eating 6 insulin releasing meals a day which means you are constantly secreting a fat storing hormone and theres a good chance you are either very insulin resistant or even partially t2 diabetic. you need to move some of the junky sugar to either the beginning or end of the day and fill the rest of the day with healthy fats and proteins.
  • mkam1980
    mkam1980 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    under normal circumstances you would be losing a little weight on that diet but your activity levels and metabolic hormones are off right now. you are eating 6 insulin releasing meals a day which means you are constantly secreting a fat storing hormone and theres a good chance you are either very insulin resistant or even partially t2 diabetic. you need to move some of the junky sugar to either the beginning or end of the day and fill the rest of the day with healthy fats and proteins.

I tend to agree with this. (Congratulations on the treatment, by the way--hope you're doing better now.) This past July was not that long ago; I think you're still in recovery, so don't rush it. But I do think you eat a fairly high number of sugars and carbs, and would agree with the quote here.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    another thing to consider is that all the treatments that you had may have had an impact on your BMR and your TDEE. I mean I don't know how you ate during all of this, but some people get very sick or lose their appetite, whereas some others are ravenous, so perhaps your body has not regained it's equilibrium just yet. I personally wouldn't stress. I would eat mostly healthy food that I like and stay within my calorie allowance. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • mkam1980
    Options
    Thank you
  • DancingOnCloud9
    DancingOnCloud9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your fight! My Aunt went through this last spring and it does take a lot of strength and energy to get through and your Dr. is right, your still recovering, so don't put too much thought into the scale yet. There is a lot of good advice hear and I would have to agree, that less processed sugary foods are going to be your friend. I would add sugar onto your food diary to track that as well as your protein, carbs, and fats. It will give you a good idea of what foods carry unexpectedly carry a lot of sugar. It's common for myself to go over my goal, but I don't worry as long as it's mostly due to fresh fruits and veggies. Good luck on both your recovery and goals! :flowerforyou:
  • mkam1980
    Options
    Thank you- I hope your aunt is doing well
  • DancingOnCloud9
    DancingOnCloud9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you- I hope your aunt is doing well

She is, thank you. She's a barrel racer, so she's anxious to ride again. :smile:
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would double check to make sure all the calorie/macronutrient info in the database entries you use adds up. There are some days (probably not enough to make a significant difference, but who am I to say?) where your macros are all maxed out, but your calories aren't. That doesn't click.

I don't know about the sugar thing; there's a lot of controversy 'round these parts (MFP forums) about the "demonization" of sugar. I honestly don't pay attention to mine all the much, and I seem to be doing all right. But that's me, and my health situation is obviously completely different from yours. I would talk to a healthcare professional before making a change to your diet that may be unnecessary/inconvenient.

Some people will suggest that you weigh all your food. Some people will say that they met their goal without doing so. Some people weigh only certain foods. I don't do any of that. But it's certainly an option and should help you to have the most accurate intake numbers that you possibly can.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating at a caloric deficit? Your diary does not go back very far. Also are you taking anything to stop the production of Estrogen, due to the cancer treatment? I agree with others, you could clean up your diet concerning all the packaged food. Most of that stuff is loaded with sodium.

Now this is where I hope I don't sound too harsh. I really don't mean to. I too am a double mastectomy, reconstruction patient. Don't let your experience, give you an excuse to not move your body. I am not saying you are, just keep aware. I think maybe another talk with your doctor about exercise, make him be specific. I understand you can lose weight without exercise, but for us who have bodies that have been put through the wringer, it helps us move forward, mentally and physically.

Good luck, you can do this, I lost 65 pounds post surgery. I feel so empowered, and back in control of my body.
  • mkam1980
    Options
    Thank you
  • mkam1980
    Options
    Congrats! I had several complications and ended up with suctures along my entire "breast" my implant has swung under my arm and things are literally stitched to "hold together" until i can get my levels back up for round 2 of surgery where fat will be placed to fill in the gaps and hopefully give something for my implant to attach to. I'm a mess but alive. Hence, the limited movement part.

No on the tamaxfin for now... the team knew we thought we were having baby 3 and got cancer. We all meet again in 2 weeks to decide if I have a moment (or a year) to expand our family or if I will start taking Taxmoxfin?