New Member and my story

Options
I am a 40 year old female. Mother of 2 pretty much grown girls (18 & 21) but really how grown are our kids to us. :) When I got married and got pregnant at 18 I weighed 125 pounds soaking wet and thought I was "fat". Wow was I in for a shocker. By the time I gave birth to my oldest daughter I was 220 pounds. Typical "I am eating for 2" First time pregnancy thinking. No one told me any different or if they did I didn't listen. When I was 22 I gave birth to my second daughter at a whopping 150 lbs. Now here I am 18 years later and I am 386 lbs (or at least I believe that is what the scale said last time I was at the Dr.). Very hard for me to write that as it makes it real to me. I am not fat I am morbidly obese. I have looked into bariatric surgery, but not sure it is for me. I have seen to many people fail with that and I don't think I would be a good candidate, I need to learn self control. I don't eat because I am hungry I eat because I like the taste, or I am bored, or i like the it feels in my mouth, Yes bad I know. I have to learn to not eat when I am bored or am mad or whenever. I have started to eat healthier.

I have a husband who has never struggled with his weight but he is now on the heavier side not obese but overweight. He supports me totally until it comes time to cook dinner, and he says you need to add this or you need to add that. Well finally Saturday I said I am cooking for ME. If you all do not like it then you will have to figure out your own meals.

Is this bad of me?

This is the first time I have ever put my journey "out there" for anyone to see.

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I never really cooked family meals, my daughter and I rarely ate the same thing . . . I guess from when she was small at that not like meat thing it carried over. Now she is a vegetarian and thought we live together and share food we cook and eat separately.

I sympathize with those who are trying to lose weight while still cooking for their family it is a delicate balancing act.

I totally understand how you feel about why you eat - it comforts you for a variety of reasons. I would offer to you to make changes slowly if your intention is to make a lifelong, lifestyle change. If you only intend to diet - I wish you well.

The slow changes allow your mind some time to catch up and I believe reason with yourself why you don't need or want to eat certain things and also allows you time to adjust to the changes in your diet, whether it be what food you are eating, why you are eating or portion size. You can do it, I started at 43 and I feel that I am giving myself the time so that I don't gain back the weight, it will be 2 years in July . . . but what is the rush!

Rejoice that you shared this, embrace MFP, it can be a great help!
  • DwnlvsJsn
    Options
    We have so much in common- I'm also 40. I gained weight with each of my 3 pregnancies & it continued to climb from there. I'm now at 322. =( This is the first time I've put my story "out there" and it's very hard! I'm looking for friends who are also morbidly obese and "in the same boat". I need all the support I can get, I know I have a long rough road ahead. Feel free to send me a friend request & we can help each other. :flowerforyou:
  • Gramm12345
    Gramm12345 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just signed up today! I am looking to loose some unhealthy pounds that just seemed to creep up on me. I have been very unhappy with myself for being over weight. I never had an issue with weight gain until I hit my 40's. It seemed that it was a gradual weight gain, but before I knew it, I was 25 pounds over weight and in menopause to boot. I'm so tired of reading so many conflicting articles.. eat this, work out like this, don't eat this it's so confusing and frustrating. Until today! I made a promise to myself for my children & grandchildren that I will loose these very unhealthy pounds around my middle for good! I am thinking positively and trying not to let the hormones and life stress redirect me. :smile: