How do you long shift workers handle your calorie "days"?

Options
Hey everyone. Sometimes I work long shifts and then have a strange sleep schedule, so I always feel like I'm going over my calories for the day--like if I can only catch a nap, then I have trouble believing it's actually the next day. How do you handle yours? Lately I've just been using a midnight cutoff for that day, even if it means not eating for a while. Anyone else?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It might be beneficial to look at your calories weekly rather than daily. If your total calories for the week work out to 7*1 day, you're on target.
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It might be beneficial to look at your calories weekly rather than daily. If your total calories for the week work out to 7*1 day, you're on target.

Interesting! Thanks for the suggestion--makes a lot of sense.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yeah, this works. For me, the way my schedule worked I didn't even have to spread it over a week. There was always one day I was over because of a long day, but the next day I was always short so it balanced out.

ETA - I logged midnight to midnight to keep it simple.
  • tpatti509
    Options
    I have to be SUPER prepared. I work three long days (12 hours) and usually 2 short days (6 hours) in a week. I pack a bag/cooler so I have veggies/hummus, hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, quinoa or a green smoothie ready to go. If everything is convenient and "ready to go" I stay with my goals.

Hope that helps......tpatti509
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a set schedule but also work 10-12 hour , active shifts. I have a really hard time not being hungry all the time at work. It helps when I make sure to pack a protein heavy lunch and snacks that are healthy but filling. I'll typically make a big pot of something the night before and take a portion as lunch, and I'm also a big fan of eggs, humus and veggies, etc.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    12 hour night shifts here. I count weekly to make it easier
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! Your suggestions are great--I'll definitely check my weekly intake. Keep going, all you weird-shifters out there!