Loud people at the gym

I like watching the people on the Biggest Loser. They motivate me, because I feel like if they can do, I can definitely do it! That said, it's amusing to me to watch them smack talk each other to the cameras, as if they have it all figured out now.
Today two teams that have hitherto trained apart, both shared the gym. One team and their trainers were extremely loud and obnoxious with their motivation AND their workout (yelling, grunting, etc)

The loud team thinks they are intimidating the other team, The other team just seems to want some peace and quiet.

What do you all think is acceptable vs too much noise/disturbing to others at the gym???

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    if I can hear you CONSTANTLY... or across the gym- it's too much.

If you are grunting out EVERY rep- it's too much.

That being said- if they are doing some sort of thing- like the trainers put together a circuit thing out in the open- or there is a group of people getting trained- making some noise isn't an issue.

Making some positive or trash talking or motivating yelling/noise- isn't a huge issue.

I only get annoyed with loud- attention grabbing grunting on EVERY lift. That's annoying to me.

grunting happens- yelling happens- heavy breathing happens- whatever. some people make a thing of it though and that's gets annoying.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I guess it depends on the type of gym. If the gym is focused on heavy lifting/power lifting, I'd expect some noise. At Curves (or now Planet Fitness) not so much. In either case, I'm there to work out and could care less what someone else is doing.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Natural grunt from exertion is fine.
    Yelling is stupid and rude. So is not restacking weights, but sht happens.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    I get more annoyed by the "chatters"--you know, the ones who are on the treadmill, and wave their friends over to have a long convo about nothing. If I can hear you chatting over the music from my headphones, STFU.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    My gym had a Zumba class that would start right about in the middle of my normal workout time. There was this one lady (at least one, sometimes others would join) that would hoot and holler at the top-of-her-lungs randomly throughout the workout (like saying "woo!" "yeah!") every single class. She was so loud it was impossible to escape, even if I moved behind a wall in a corner of the gym, and even if I turned my headphones way up, I could still hear her over everything including their already loud music for the class. I understand it's Zumba and it's fun, you want to get people motivated, but tune down your hooting and hollering so I can focus and get my workout done! I would have to leave early every time because I couldn't handle it (luckily it was only twice a week).
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    if I can hear you CONSTANTLY... or across the gym- it's too much.

If you are grunting out EVERY rep- it's too much.

That being said- if they are doing some sort of thing- like the trainers put together a circuit thing out in the open- or there is a group of people getting trained- making some noise isn't an issue.

Making some positive or trash talking or motivating yelling/noise- isn't a huge issue.

I only get annoyed with loud- attention grabbing grunting on EVERY lift. That's annoying to me.

grunting happens- yelling happens- heavy breathing happens- whatever. some people make a thing of it though and that's gets annoying.

That's what I'm thinking...or in this case, it was so loud, one chick couldn't hear her OWN trainer over the noise.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    I get more annoyed by the "chatters"--you know, the ones who are on the treadmill, and wave their friends over to have a long convo about nothing. If I can hear you chatting over the music from my headphones, STFU.

EXACTLY! And have you noticed that it's the same people over and over...both men and women...who spend more time talking and less time working out?

And the PHONE kills me. I get it if you get a call from your kid and you have to answer, but seriously...if you can have a long conversation with your bestie about what your husband said last night and what you are cooking for dinner and what happened at work today then you aren't working out hard enough.
  • JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 682 Member

I agree.... I would much rather hear the heavy lifters grunting than listen to the chatters!
  • aliencheesecake

I agree.... I would much rather hear the heavy lifters grunting than listen to the chatters!

I agree with both of you, but none of this would bother me that much if it wasn't overly loud. It's the LOUD talkers, the one that think because the person on the phone is far away, they have to shout... And these people working out on TV...if you had seen them (and maybe you saw this episode) it was ridiculous sort of... LOL
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

Agreed...

It's like they don't realize they're basically yelling at each other over the sound of the treadmill.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

I agree with both of you, but none of this would bother me that much if it wasn't overly loud. It's the LOUD talkers, the one that think because the person on the phone is far away, they have to shout... And these people working out on TV...if you had seen them (and maybe you saw this episode) it was ridiculous sort of... LOL

people on the phone is a WHOLE 'nother issue. There was a guy who was going on and on about some business chit on the phone- he was prepping to squat and was taking up the rack- we were just there using another piece of equipment- but dear god- he was loud. And annoying. It was easily a 5+ minute conversation. A quick- I'm at the gym is this important- that's okay- but otherwise- reject the call- or go somewhere else. Don't hold your business or personal issues inside the squat rack or near any other equipment!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    The worst, imho, is in the pool area. The sound bounces off all the walls. I couldn't do my workouts in there any day they had a bunch of kids doing something, even though there was still plenty of room. Immediate migraine!
  • aliencheesecake
    I think people in general are a lot less courteous than they should be. Somehow all these new gadgets and conveniences have given some ppl the impression that because they CAN do something (like talk on the phone in a gym or theater) that they SHOULD.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    There was a guy at my gym who would screen talk to football games while on the treadmill. I'm jogging along and all of a sudden he shouts at the top of his lungs, "FUMBLE! FUMBLE!" I just about shot in to the wall behind me because he scared the crap out of me!

It got to where if he was on the treadmill, I'd switch to the elliptical. I could still hear him, but he startled me less.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    honestly these dont bug me at all. normally i wear headphones but even when i'm not i find the cacophony amusing.

if i wanted silence then i'd go to a library. otherwise it's hilarious listening to the guys who psych themselves out before every set, the people who grunt and grimace, the inappropriate conversation between the 2 people next to me, the mom on the phone with her kid trying to explain where the leftovers are in the fridge, etc :laugh:

i fond all that hilarious.

plus if i do want to tune them out, i'm really good with selective hearing
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    The worst, imho, is in the pool area. The sound bounces off all the walls. I couldn't do my workouts in there any day they had a bunch of kids doing something, even though there was still plenty of room. Immediate migraine!

This happened to me today. Parent & Me class had me practically sprinting off the deck. Dan the lifeguard (who I'm quite good friends with) has never laughed so hard since I knew him.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    I don't always grunt loudly at the gym, but when I do, it's because I have 400+ lbs on my back. lmao
  • transmute
    transmute Posts: 50 Member
    I don't always grunt loudly at the gym, but when I do, it's because I have 400+ lbs on my back. lmao

Yeah but you got 400+ lbs on your back. If you didn't grunt, we'd be calling the authorities about the escaped T-100.

It's those ****noses who pick up a 20kg plate to load the bar and sound like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally that are the problem.
  • cowgalsarah29
    cowgalsarah29 Posts: 15 Member
    Haha that made me laugh.
    Your in a zone and all of a sudden someone yells.... So you jump like 20 feet in the air
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    One day there was a guy at the gym wearing some sort of Hannibal Lecter gas mask contraption. I'll admit, i don't know what that thing was but it made him breathe like Darth Vader. I was on a bench and directly in front of me was the cables. He'd do his thing on the cables and then walk around me, heeee huuuuuuh. I wanted to ask him to please go back to the ship.