Where can I buy red lentils? (USA)

Options
I know this may seem a weird question, but I am drawing a blank. I live in Tennessee, but I used to live in the UK, and it seemed like it was a snap to get my hands on red lentils. But here, I can't find them! I've looked in Wal Mart and Publix. Does anyone know where to get them? I saw you could order them on Amazon, but I didn't know if that would be reliable or not. I have gotten family members in England to send me lentils, but I kind of want to make some soup now, and not have to wait a week or two! I have a great recipe for lentil soup and I've had to resort to making it with green lentils, and it's just not the same - good, but not great.

Any ideas? Or do you know any good places to buy them online? I used to eat soup a lot when I was in England, but as someone pointed out on another thread, canned soup is so full of sodium. I just wanna make my soup!

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Is there a Whole Foods Market near you? They should have them.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i get them from an indian store. i've seen them in the bulk bin at whole foods, but not always. do you mean the kind to make masoor dal?

usually from the indian store they're about $7 for 4lbs.
  • avalonfloyd
    Options
    I'll have to see if there's an Indian store around. There's not one that I've ever seen. But of course, I only moved back a year ago, so I might not have found it yet. I'm pretty sure there's not a Whole Foods Store in my town, but I might have to try going to a few other towns. Where I live isn't really big on "foreign" food. lol. Welcome to the South, honey! :laugh:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I get mine from the middle eastern store.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i've found them at a middle eastern store, an indian imports store, a natural foods store (probably your best bet for rural non-ethnic places lol) and in the natural/organic foods section of my regular supermarket (Price Chopper and/or Hannaford)... If there is a section for organics, gluten-free, etc look there and not with the other beans. Good luck :)

signed,
    Married to a Lebanese guy and has learned a thing or two about lentils
    ;) lol
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I just buy mine at the grocery store but I live in a very diverse area.