What do skinny people do on Thanksgiving?

Options
I am not a particularly anxious person, but I am getting a little nervous about Thanksgiving this year. I have been doing pretty well with my calorie count, but I tend to limit my choices. You darn well there will be lots of choices on Thanksgiving. And to make matters worse, we will be out of town for a whole week, starting with a college football game on Saturday. Help!!!!!

I have been trying to think like a thin person. You know, those people who don't obsess about food and who actually stop eating before they are stuffed. Those folks who can leave uneaten food on their plates and not even blink. I don't want to deny myself while we are gone, and I don't want to call attention to myself and my calorie counting either. But I don't want to get off track. I know I need to keep telling myself...portion control...portion control...portion control, but then I am still obsessing about food.

Suggestions? Advice? Ideas? I don't want to spend the entire week thinking about what I am not eating. What has worked for you?

Replies

• FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I thin that people who don't obsess about food don't worry about T-day either. They probably have a sampling of everything, eat too much and still get over full. And they don't worry about it because one meal will not ruin what habit of healthy portioning the rest of the time has done for them.
  • mrslawson2006
    Options
    Well, i am a lil nervous about Thanksgiving also. What I think I am going to do is eat myself a nice breakfast, then have a snack in between breakfast and it is time to for Thanksgiving. Just watch what I eat.. I will deff. be excersing the whole. I dont know if that is much help to you. I also was wondering the same thing about Thanksgiving comming up. Well good luck wiith everything.
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Since it is a holiday-I know I will be over-but I plan to be reasonable about it. I will take a spoonful of the items-and a reasonable size-instead of the HEAPING three or four I normally would have taken. For example-I do plan on having those cheesy potatos, but just the spoonful. And, not the serving size spoon either, just the tablespoon:) That is my plan-hope that helps some.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty nervous about Thanksgiving as well. I'm going to my boyfriend's parents house. They are very country and cook with loads of butter and fat.

So what I decided to do was

1. Eat before I go, so I won't be as hungry
    2. Bring a big healthy salad with low fat dressing. Enough for everyone.

I thought I could load up on salad and just have very small portions of everything else.
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    You always take a big old walk on Thanksgiving, then, you just eat. I personally try (TRY) not to overfill my plate by taking to much of anything. Also, have a veggie platter somewhere on the table so that when you are sitting around the table drinking coffee or something, you pick at the celery instead of the stuffing. (at this point you are already full, its just that everything smells so wonderful.)

Enjoy yourself, its one day. The trick is to stay out of the leftovers the next couple of days. That's what will get you.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I thin that people who don't obsess about food don't worry about T-day either. They probably have a sampling of everything, eat too much and still get over full. And they don't worry about it because one meal will not ruin what habit of healthy portioning the rest of the time has done for them.

I agree with this!
  • christymathatas
    Options
    I have been thinking about Thanksgiving with some trepidation for the past week. I haven't been losing weight at Thanksgiving time before, but I think my plan is to have a LITTLE of everything. That way it doesn't call attention to my calorie counting and I won't feel like I'm denying myself. Also, if the days leading up to Thanksgiving are good days then I will get full when I'm supposed to and hopefully not really want to eat too much. That's my plan. GOOD LUCK!

2569882.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Take a walk before and after dinner. Eat turkey breast with no skin and very little stuffing, lots of veggies, and have a smaller piece of pie, like half a normal serving. Also, since you are going to have a really big dinner, don't snack earlier and only have lighter meals. I find that kind of planning works best, since I know I'm not going to be able to avoid the calorie splurge later!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    maybe on thanksgiving we could try to be thankful.

thank each item on your plate and trace back the method it took to get there. thank it all the way back to the soil, air and water. by the time you're done being thankful, you can eat graciously.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. Don't obsess. Enjoy the day. Limit yourself to one plate and reasonable portions. Take a walk with family. Friday is another day.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start my day out the same. Get my normal breakfast in, workout, snack, water, etc. My family usually eats around 1pm or so, so before I head over to my parents house I'm planning on having a nice veggie salad. Baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, etc. Also drinking lots of water. Then for the Thanksgiving meal, I'm going to have what I want, but I'm going to just take a few tablespoons of each item (especially the high calorie ones) Remember turkey is good for us! Have an extra serving of that if you want! No skin, of course! But I'm going to load up on veggies and if there is something I normally wouldn't eat I'll just have a tiny bit. I am definitely having a slice of pumpkin pie though...a small one.

I'm not going to obsess about it. I'm going to enjoy myself and eat what I want, just limit my portion sizes.

I know some people are just going to go all out and use it as a cheat meal. Do what feels right for you. One large meal will not mess up everything you've done, especially if you're good all week and get right back to it! Just drink some extra water and who knows you might not be as hungry as you think!
  • hmrtym
    hmrtym Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use a smaller plate. That way I cannot fit too much! And even if I want to go back for seconds, I feel like I can. Do your research before hand so you know serving sizes and calories that go along with it. I think that stands for everyday use too. Plan your day and you will do great!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Aww, my dear ladies!!!

First -- (((HUGS)))

There is NO NEED TO WORRY.

Remember - ONE SINGLE DAY OF BAD EATING WILL NOT MAKE YOU GAIN BACK EVERY POUND YOU'VE LOST!

Let me tell you what I do. (And I don't consider myself 'skinny' by any means, but I have lost almost 50 lbs in the last 2 or 3 years.... slowly... but I've kept it off!)

Load up on the healthier foods. The turkey. The green beans (if they are more plainly cooked), corn, peas, veggies. That stuff.

Have one roll. Have one reasonable sized scoop of mashed potatoes. Have a scoop of stuffing.

Make that plate a spoonful of everything offered. Don't deny yourself what you like! Portion control it.

Drink water before the meal. Drink water with the meal. Sit and chat DURING the meal. Eat it slowly.

When dessert comes, have it all. I have a piece of everything I like. A SMALL taste. Try to get 3 or 4 bites worth of all the tasty stuff.

Why deny?? You can CONTROL yourself not to pig out on the good stuff. YOU CAN DO IT. You are strong enough!!!!

If you think you are still hungry and you have eaten slowly, go back for seconds. Again, larger servings of healthier foods, small portions of the tasty high calorie foods.

YOU CAN DO THIS.
    You are strong.
    Food does NOT control you.
    Don't deny yourself a wonderful meal cooked for a thankful occasion full of family and friends.
    Calmly and rationally make your plate.
    Enjoy it.
    Thanksgiving only comes once a year.

After the meal, try to take a walk.
    If you can't, don't sweat it.

It's one meal.
    One. Single. Meal.

No worries, dears!!!
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    OH, and P.S don't let yourself be guilted into taking leftovers home unless it's turkey or veggies. BTW, see if you can snag the turkey caracass to make your own turkey stock!
  • Chelle_D
    Options
    We actually discussed this in my last Weight Watchers meeting. I won't lie... I'm nervous. It's really hard not to want to fill my plate full of everything on the table. But I've just decided I'm going to pick those foods that mean "Thanksgiving" the most to me (not the ones I can have any old day), and I'll eat slowly, and just do the best I can. In the end, all you can do is be smart about my choices, enjoy my family and friends, and not nibble and taste all day like I always do.

And if I don't do as well as I would have liked, it's just one day, and I'll get back on the wagon the next. :)
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I try to bring healthy alternatives (if I'm contributing to the meal). I'll make two jello salads, one regular and one sugar free. I'll be bringing a pumpkin cake and a sugar free crustless pumpkin pie. Eat as healthy as you can and use moderation on the treats that you just can't pass up.
  • adrienc
    Options

Could'nt agree more - just enjoy Thanksgiving, Christmas and all those big dinners that gather all the family together. There's nothing more important in life than being happy and spending time with your family =)
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I come from a family who doesn't really obsess over anything to do with diet and exercise. I try to eat healthy, and I enjoy working out. With my average daily routines, of course I steer myself in the right direction and maintain good habits, but you know what? Thanksgiving should be a day of thanks, and celebration. Not something that stresses you out and makes you nervous. Why suck the fun out of it? You don't need to eat everything, but eat what you want. My mom makes food for Thanksgiving that I won't get to have for the rest of the year, and I'm not missing out on that. Enjoy yourself. If you're really concerned with the calorie splurge, go for some walks, or exercise that morning to get your metabolism going. Drink lots of water, and have fun. Sometimes I think we spend so much time freaking out about stuff like this that we miss out on the things that matter most. Hope this helps you out, and I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I always try to think of the way my family and friends eat that are thin. They don't "diet". They eat what they want and when they want and I find it hard to believe that only genetics would play a role...especially when my sister is thin. What I notice is...they do eat what they want but they stop when they are full. I hadn't been an overeater until the last few years when stress started to impact my life. I realized that I was eating whether I was hungry or not out of boredom or because I felt stressed. Remember to eat larger portions of raw vegetables and fruits and take smaller portions of everything else. It's ok to have an off day as long as you remember it's one day. EAT SLOWLY! Sometimes on holidays we wait so long to eat that we are ravenous once the meal starts. Take a bite and put down your fork. The habit of eating slowly helps you digest and makes it less likely that you'll overeat. If you know you want pie after dinner then don't make heaping portions on your dinner plate. Also, drink water before the meal. This will limit the likelihood of you overeating, also.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on bringing a nice healthy salad and probably a veggie plate with hummus. I'm not denying myself food, just keeping it in moderation. My plate will be half veggies, a quarter protein, and a quarter carbs. I'm making a non-dairy pumpkin pie (my nephew and I can't have milk products) and I'm having a slice because I love pumpkin pie!

We had a Thanksgiving dinner for my mom's birthday and I stayed within my calories that day so I know I can do it again next week.