Knees aching after running

Options
Over a year ago I did C25K, and had NEVER done any running before. When I first started out it hurt my knees a little bit but I bought new running shoes and it went away. I then didn't manage to complete the full program as I got pregnant.

Fast forward to 6 and a half months post baby and I've now done 3 runs. The first one was fairly gentle just running for 2-3 minutes at a time and then walking in between for a couple of minutes. I found this surprisingly easy and so the second run I just ran until I was tired out which turned out to be just over 3K (pretty good going for me!!). My knees felt fine, but then after doing 3K again last Saturday my knees are quite sore and achy.

They are still not right now and it's been 5 days.

Does anyone know any ways to get rid of the bad knees? It's so frustrating as running is about the only exercise I've ever really enjoyed. Do I just need new running shoes maybe? I'm wearing the same ones from 18ish months ago, but never ran THAT much in them, and wore them a little bit just to walk to work in (15 minute walk) while I was pregnant.

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Shoes would help but for some it just happens, get it from time to time. Most common is tendinitis but if you've gone down a steep hill the impact put on your knees is insane. Tape it up could help support it or invest in a foam roller to help strengthen it.

I do what you shouldn't and keep running
  • jillomahony
    jillomahony Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you post baby. I am nearly 6 months pp and when I was cleared at 7 weeks I jumped back into running. I did intervals the first day, then the next run I just went as long as possible, like you. Third run, same thing, and then my knees killed!! It lasted 2 weeks, with no running....so I thought about it, talked to some runner friends, and I just jumped in too fast. It was recommended going back to couch to 5k, despite me completing a half in the past year. I also got fitted for new shoes, turned out my feet were a half size bigger! I say get new shoes, and stick to intervals a while longer. I am now up to an hour of running with no pain, but it was a slow process. Also STRENGTH train...lunges, squats ect, can all be done holding baby :) Are you breast feeding? That can keep your joints a bit looser longer, so bear that in mind, too. Add me on here if you want a buddy!
  • MrBecky
    MrBecky Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you post baby. I am nearly 6 months pp and when I was cleared at 7 weeks I jumped back into running. I did intervals the first day, then the next run I just went as long as possible, like you. Third run, same thing, and then my knees killed!! It lasted 2 weeks, with no running....so I thought about it, talked to some runner friends, and I just jumped in too fast. It was recommended going back to couch to 5k, despite me completing a half in the past year. I also got fitted for new shoes, turned out my feet were a half size bigger! I say get new shoes, and stick to intervals a while longer. I am now up to an hour of running with no pain, but it was a slow process. Also STRENGTH train...lunges, squats ect, can all be done holding baby :) Are you breast feeding? That can keep your joints a bit looser longer, so bear that in mind, too. Add me on here if you want a buddy!

Maybe I just went back in a bit too full on!

I've just stopped breast feeding - about a week ago, so perhaps that was a factor too. Hopefully my knees will feel a little better on Saturday and I can just do intervals again and ease back in.

New running shoes will be purchased on pay day!
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue and tried to push through it after the pain didn't go away when I got new shoes. About a week later I ended up with an immobilizer on my leg and wasn't allowed to workout for a month! Moral of the story - be careful and make sure you don't push too hard. :frown:
  • jillomahony
    jillomahony Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Maybe I just went back in a bit too full on!

I've just stopped breast feeding - about a week ago, so perhaps that was a factor too. Hopefully my knees will feel a little better on Saturday and I can just do intervals again and ease back in.

New running shoes will be purchased on pay day!

Just got even slower than you think you need to! That is my advice! Slow and steady will serve you best!
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It's possible that it's just your body adjusting. When swimming and cycling you put your body weight through your joints, when you walk it's 4 x times the body weight, but when you run that increses to 12 times, so muscles and pains are to be expected. it get more aches and pains from running than anything else.

However good and proper shoes are important. Most people either run slightly on the inside or outside of their feet. A running shop, or even a personal trainer should be able to tell you which. You can also do it with wet feet on the bathroom floor - google will explain how (running on the outside of your feet is called pronating).

Your old shoes may be worn, and you may need a new pair. But you don't have to spend a fortune, you can get insoles pretty cheap that can adjust this. This will help the adjust the running action (although you won't notice it) and relieve some of the pressure on the joints.
  • Patrick0321
    Patrick0321 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Have you stretched properly? Muscles running from your thighs/hamstrings all support your knees and if they are tight could be contributing to your pain.
  • karlahere
    karlahere Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Welp, get it looked at hun!

If it's an ACL tear, it needs to be properly treated, or else the pain will keep coming back and your knees are done for good. I busted my right during a mountain descent, and then the other one a few weeks later. I didn't visit the doctor immediately, and by the time I did, it was too late. I could still hike, but I have to rest every 20 minutes.
  • mdtherapeutics
    Options
    MD Therapeutics is a medical nutrition company founded on the principle that quality nutrition improves lives.Our nutritional supplements are sold exclusively through medical practitioners around the world. This is to ensure that they are used only under proper medical care, for the most appropriate conditions, and produce the maximum benefit to consumers.

knee ache ◄► http://mdtherapeutics.com/treat-knee-pain
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My knees had the same problem. Trust me when I say this... STRETCH AFTER THE RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do quad stretches, lunges, toe touches, etc. It really does help.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it could be your form, are you you propelling yourself forward using your posterior chain/hips/glutes/hamstrings or are you practically hopping up in down/using the same form you'd use if you were running in place?
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Over a year ago I did C25K, and had NEVER done any running before. When I first started out it hurt my knees a little bit but I bought new running shoes and it went away. I then didn't manage to complete the full program as I got pregnant.

Fast forward to 6 and a half months post baby and I've now done 3 runs. The first one was fairly gentle just running for 2-3 minutes at a time and then walking in between for a couple of minutes. I found this surprisingly easy and so the second run I just ran until I was tired out which turned out to be just over 3K (pretty good going for me!!). My knees felt fine, but then after doing 3K again last Saturday my knees are quite sore and achy.

They are still not right now and it's been 5 days.

Does anyone know any ways to get rid of the bad knees? It's so frustrating as running is about the only exercise I've ever really enjoyed. Do I just need new running shoes maybe? I'm wearing the same ones from 18ish months ago, but never ran THAT much in them, and wore them a little bit just to walk to work in (15 minute walk) while I was pregnant.

Can you describe the pain?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    The suitability of your running shoes, you should ask an expert at a running shop. It would seem unlikely though that they would have such an effect on your knees.

It could be just because you are getting back into training. The body always aches during this period.

Alternatively, why not try some knee muscle exercises?