Why don't strength exercises count calories burnt?

chaosrock
chaosrock Posts: 13 Member
I've been adding cardio and strength to MFP a lot lately and have noticed it only counts calories burnt for cardio, not strength. I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty darn sure that strength-building burns calories just like cardio does! I mean you'd probably have to do more work to burn as many cals, but it's counting 0. What's up with that?

Replies

• FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    I just add in strength, as needed, and then go back in and add it as Cardio under for example, "Various Weight Machines" when I use different machines. And lump the calorie burn there.

Now, not sure I should or not, but that is how I do it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Search for Strength Training under the cardio stuff. It's there because it's the only place to put calorie burning exercises.

And as you'll discover, it is much less burn than equal time cardio.

And that is absolutely true.

That entry BTW is for the lifting that has sets and reps and rests between the sets. Which is lowish calorie burn.
    If doing circuit training with more reps and/or hardly any rests so lighter weight, that is under circuit training with correct higher calorie burn.

That section for logging the lifts, sets, reps, is merely a log. Nothing to do with the calories as you discovered.
  • Naturely
    Naturely Posts: 14 Member
    You can find calories burned under weight training
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    bump for later