ahhhh!!! Can't I just be different?!

Options
The reality is....that many of us...have SOOOOO much struggle to lose weight. We put our bodies through ridiculous diets and exercise....and all for what??? to try to look as "commercial" as possible? Because society and media sell this "perfect" imagine that we all want to achieve???...SERIOUSLY!!! :grumble: Don't you feel sometimes like telling all skinny model looking people W/E! I am happy just as i am take it or leave it! AHHHHHH!!!! Frustrating! Some people can eat all they want and live up their life and never gain a pound...and others by the simple fact that you’re breathing you gain a pound a second!

I am just venting out some feelings! I just think women are more pressed to look like Barbie dolls and the reality is that we hurt our bodies in process of trying to achieve this and at the end of the day...LOOKS ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT!:sad: We all die and get put away on a box or burned to ashes...looks don’t matter then. God created everyone different...we can't all be supermodels...some are just superwomen! supermoms! super-regular-down-to-earth...ME!

Ok....now I feel better :laugh:

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Be all you want to be. You have my vote.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    you can be different.

once i stopped watching tv and reading magazines targeted to women, i really started to feel better about myself. that was about 20 years ago.

looks are important, but not as important as confidence. confidence reads as sexy, even on the "homliest" person (read: lyle lovet)

i always think about what i find sexy in other people, and looks play a part, but not as big a part as the "quirks" and attitude.
  • shae123
    Options
    I think as women we should focus on health, not body style or shape. If we can run a 5K, we drink plenty of water, and eat healthy foods but are plumper than a model chances are we are healthier than said model...Lets focus on health and happiness and see how our bodies respond :)
  • caraanderson
    Options
    I totally agree with you - my sister said a shocking thing to me the other day - she's a size 6/8 UK and beautiful, but her boyfriend told her she was getting a big *kitten*! She's BEAUTIFUL, and she doesn't need some jumped up kid of a guy telling her her *kitten* doesn't compare to some airbrushed supermodel who probably lives off a diet of cigarettes and water! Grrrr. Thanks for ranting, I feel the same way. I want to lose some weight as I want to be healthy, I certainly don't want to look like a boy. :)

Cx
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    My goal is to be fit and healthy, not look like a model. I want to be healthy for myself, my family and my overall wellbeing. Those people who eat all they want of whatever it is they want are going to have health problems in the future. It's not about how much you weigh, it's about how healthy your body is.
  • stovegirl
    Options
    I used to think this way. then I started listening to Dr Oz and realizing that it's not about the appearance. It's about what's going on in the inside. we don't even know what healthy looks like anymore. We eat so many calories, and many not beneficial ones, and don't move at all any more. Our bodies can take a lot of abuse, but eventually it all catches up with us. You want to be around for that darling daughter you are hugging in your avatar. Take care of yourself. She will need you for a long time!
  • Degren
    Degren Posts: 80
    Options
    As one friend of mine put it, "I earned these curves when I had my babies." You go girl.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I think as women we should focus on health, not body style or shape. If we can run a 5K, we drink plenty of water, and eat healthy foods but are plumper than a model chances are we are healthier than said model...Lets focus on health and happiness and see how our bodies respond :)

I love this!!!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you - my sister said a shocking thing to me the other day - she's a size 6/8 UK and beautiful, but her boyfriend told her she was getting a big *kitten*! She's BEAUTIFUL, and she doesn't need some jumped up kid of a guy telling her her *kitten* doesn't compare to some airbrushed supermodel who probably lives off a diet of cigarettes and water! Grrrr. Thanks for ranting, I feel the same way. I want to lose some weight as I want to be healthy, I certainly don't want to look like a boy. :)

Cx

Ok where does your sister and this punk live? I want to go slap him.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

Cx

guys are so lame sometimes. i have this unbelievably beautiful friend who is a daughter of a friend of mine. she's 15. she was giving me a big story about how her boyfriend was being a *kitten*, and i literally told her, "the bad news is that it doesn't change much, until men are about 30, and even then it's a little sketchy. and 30 is unacceptable for you right now, so you have to deal with the same **** we all dealt with. they can't help it at this time in their lives, and it's not their fault."

boys are taught the same crap we're taught and it takes a pretty long time to undo all that.
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options
    The reality is....that many of us...have SOOOOO much struggle to lose weight. We put our bodies through ridiculous diets and exercise....and all for what??? to try to look as "commercial" as possible? Because society and media sell this "perfect" imagine that we all want to achieve???...SERIOUSLY!!! :grumble: Don't you feel sometimes like telling all skinny model looking people W/E! I am happy just as i am take it or leave it! AHHHHHH!!!! Frustrating! Some people can eat all they want and live up their life and never gain a pound...and others by the simple fact that you’re breathing you gain a pound a second!

I am just venting out some feelings! I just think women are more pressed to look like Barbie dolls and the reality is that we hurt our bodies in process of trying to achieve this and at the end of the day...LOOKS ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT!:sad: We all die and get put away on a box or burned to ashes...looks don’t matter then. God created everyone different...we can't all be supermodels...some are just superwomen! supermoms! super-regular-down-to-earth...ME!

Ok....now I feel better :laugh:

Well said. :smile:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm different, and so are you. I don't want to look sick and bony. Neither do my girls. I want to feel good, be able to move around however I want, and fit in my clothes (normal size clothes). And I don't want to get sick because of being overweight or unhealthy lifestyle habits.

I tried to teach my 2 daughters that. One is 26, and one is 10yr old. They both grew up in different eras with different aged mom (me), but the message is the same. The youngest one, interestingly, has a even more effortless focus on it. Becuase today they are taught it's okay to be a woman and all that goes with it (real bodies and brains). Back in the 80's for my first daughter this was a new idea, and I did my best against "society" influence. Today's cartoons and kid shows still show girl and boy band looks, though. That hasn't changed. My 10 yr old's friend once said to me that she only ate some strawberries and bragged at her light weight. That's sad. 10? I fed her of course...healthy food and told her she is using up her hard earned muscle skipping food (new idea for her).

Teach your kids well. We should be ranting about it.
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options

Cx

Lol. I second that! :bigsmile:
  • neverhappy
    neverhappy Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Cx

third
  • tiffanyb73
    Options
    I agree. We don't have to be stick figures. 99% of the time they are miserable and unhealthy. Being healthy means something so different than what society tells us. If we all looked alike,how boring would that be?! What I want to see is people eating healthy and exercising....not being winded just from getting up off the couch or unable to climb 3 steps to their front door..

Life is short and we should ALL live it to the fullest...regardless of what society thinks is "normal"
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Cx

third

Fourth :happy:

Good post and great replies. AFAIK 90% of men don't like skeletal clothes hanger types for girlfriends, they LIKE curves. But too many extra lbs and the curves disappear in the other direction. I have to keep reminding myself of how we laughed at those Victorian ladies breaking their ribs and deforming their innards to achieve a 12" waist or something equally riduculous, and all the horrible health problems that caused. In 100 years they will be laughing at today's equivalents trying to starve themselves down to a size 4 when they are obviously the wrong build for that, just to achieve some almost impossible "fashion". We have to discover what's a sane and healthy size/shape for us as individuals, and pass this attitude onto our daughters - and our granddaughters will be proud of us then instead of laughing at us like we laughed at the corset ladies :)