How do you not weigh in everyday?

Options
I am sick and tired of living by the scale. I said this time would be different, but I still am weighing myself every day.

Last week I lost 7.1 pounds. This week I am up 1 or staying the same. I am under calories every day and getting at least 30 minutes of cardio a day. I am drinking my water, at least 80 ounces a day.......what am I doing wrong?

How can you not weigh in every day? I am addicted to the scale during a diet and that is not a good thing.

HELP ~

Replies

• tesha30
    tesha30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    First I think you need to stop weighing in so much. Your body is going to fluctuate (spelling?) everyday depending on what you have consumed and whether or not you have to go to the bathroom..whatever the case may be. But living around the scale is not going to help you much.. it might just make things worse.. as in not eating enough or overly exercising... you can become obsessed. Just pick one day out of the week to weigh in and stick to that. Watch your salt intake and make sure you are weighing yourself in the morning after you go to the bathroom.. before a shower and completely naked!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    There are people who don't weigh themselves everyday???

I don't see anything wrong with weighing yourself everyday. It will help you catch any slips you may have. However, with that said, you can't let fluctations break your heart too much. Your body retains water at different times of the day (not to mention those ugly little invisible trolls that stand on the scale with you when you think you are alone, they add pounds! You know the trolls, they are the ones that go in your closet when you sleep and shrink your clothes!).

In my opinion Viva La Scale!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    This was posted earlier today about the scale. Good read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/134993-dont-know-if-anyone-will-find-this-useful
  • fullagrace
    Options
    Are you eating too much sodium?

Are you doing the same workout everyday?

Are you eating the same foods everyday?

Also, its not normal for someone to lose 7.1 pounds in one week. If you did it was prob mostly water weight (If you just started) You are prob leveling out.

Don't get discouraged. Just keep at it. Its math. Calories in versus out. Eventually the weight will come off if you keep at. You body could be holding on to water if you are consuming too many carbs or too much sodium.

Also you need to make sure you eat at least 1200 net calories or your body will go into starvation mode and you will likely gain weight.

I also weight myself daily lol.
  • hmrtym
    hmrtym Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You need to tell someone you trust to take the scale away and let you use it only once a week. Pick the same time every week. Have the scale taken back as soon as you are done checking once! Weighing yourself more than once a week will make you feel bad about yourself if you are not seeing changes. I know, I was there. The first two weeks with out the scale everyday made me crazy. BUT I saw the difference at the end of the week. I lost more weight because I wasn't changing my eating to what the scale said daily. I was doing what I should everyday and it worked! It is so freeing when you don't weigh every day (or several times everyday, as I was). You also need to make sure you are eating enough, at least the minimum cals everyday and you are supposed to eat your exercise cals too! When you don't eat enough you will not lose! Check into it on the message boards. Weigh in once a week, drink lots of water, and good luck!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with this - it messes with my head to be up a half a pound, down 2 pounds, up 3, down 4, up a half, etc. every day. I have had more success over the past couple of weeks because I have been open with my hubby about it - for some reason, just telling him that I really don't want to weigh myself every day and asking him to help me avoid the scale helps. Of course, my hubby is a lot more supportive and encouraging than most, so I don't know if that will work for other people.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I think some people can handle the everyday weigh in as a check in and some people cannot. This is not to say that one group is better than the other or whatnot but just like there is not one diet that works for everyone, there is not one way of weighing in that works for everyone, IMO.
    There are times that I weigh in everyday and sometimes i just put it away for just once a week weigh ins.

If you think that the daily up and downs (and there are definitely reasons for them) are too much for you, then I'm definitely in the camp of suggesting you weigh in once a week. To expect a loss on the scale every single day, you would be setting yourself up for disappointment.
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh every day simply not stepping on the scale.
    I recognize that weight fluctuates and the daily "false" readings neither motivate or upset me.
    The number on the scale is only one indicator of my overall weight loss.
    Google the article "why the scale lies" for more insight.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have a scale in my bathroom, I'll get on it every other day or so. But I only do my "official" weigh-ins on my Wii Fit because I know it's more accurate. I do that every 4-7 days and I also weigh my kids. I used to weigh every day but I found that the normal weight fluctuations started to drive me crazy. If the number went up I'd be in a bad mood all day. I'd be impatient with my husband and kids, grumpy and unhappy with everything. It was getting to the point where I wanted to eat less food or work out more. I finally realized it just wasn't working for me. Now I get a more accurate picture of what's going on with my weight and if the numbers go up by tenths of a pound I'm able to stay calm because I know it's probably just a difference in the clothes I'm wearing or because I'm retaining a little water.

Weighing every day won't help you track your weight any better than doing it less frequently. It won't help you immediately see the effects of skipping a day at the gym or eating a few hundred extra calories. A one or two day break in your routine won't hurt your long term goals and if the scale goes up the day after a break, it's just coincidence.

Make sure you're drinking enough water, limiting your sodium, eating healthy and getting some exercise. And definitely make sure you're eating enough calories. Eating too few will put your body into starvation mode and you won't lose at all, you can even gain as your body stores what you eat as fat.
  • simply_healthy
    simply_healthy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There are people who don't weigh themselves everyday???

I don't see anything wrong with weighing yourself everyday. It will help you catch any slips you may have. However, with that said, you can't let fluctations break your heart too much. Your body retains water at different times of the day (not to mention those ugly little invisible trolls that stand on the scale with you when you think you are alone, they add pounds! You know the trolls, they are the ones that go in your closet when you sleep and shrink your clothes!).

In my opinion Viva La Scale!

Ditto..... I weigh daily but dont let it get on my nerves :)
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't own one! I'm an apartment dweller, and all our floors are carpet; because scales are supposed to be on a hard surface, I don't have one since its likely I wouldn't get an accurate reading, and it would just be in the way anyway. So when I'm curious, I go to Wal-Mart. They usually have 2 you can test out, so I check my weight on both. If both say I've lost weight, I record the higher of the two. If both say I've gained weight, I record the lowest. If one says I've gained and the other that I've lost, I just don't record either.