Is it a bad idea to weigh yourself everyday

Options

Replies

• Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I can't decide for myself. I tucked my scales almost out of reach plus out of sight a couple of months ago because the numbers were making me crazy. I decided my clothes would tell me everything I needed to know. My pregnant daughter recently got them down to check herself, so I checked myself, and HOLEY MOLEY! I don't think I would have gained that much if I had been monitoring myself. My clothes don't seem to fit much differently, so they obviously did NOT tell me what I needed to know.

On the other hand, I used to weigh once per month, doing my best to have a good, clean, on-target month, and when the number was the same or higher, it was devastating. Once a week, like once a day, gives me numbers that bounce up and down. I think I'm going to try weighing myself every day or every few days, whatever seems right, and write the numbers on my calendar to see if they're trending up or down. Plus logging and exercising, trying to do the weight-loss plan right.
  • jon40084
    jon40084 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh everyday, as long as you don't beat yourself up and get too upset if you haven't gone down / up then I can't see the harm.

Clearly we just have to do what suits us best.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Bad idea if the person doing it lives and dies by the results. Since weight fluctuates daily, readings from day to day could differ as much as 3-5lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It's a bad idea IF you get emotionally attached to the number on the scale. If you accept the fact that the number on the scale will fluctuate daily and use that number as data to track the overall trend, then no it's not a bad idea.

I weigh in every morning, track it in excel. Like today I'm up 2 lbs from yesterday, it doesn't upset me, I know it's water weight because of my sodium intake. My overall tracking is still moving in the right direction.

This. If you hung up on daily numbers, don't do it. Long term progress and the finish line are more important IMO.
  • ladylexie17
    ladylexie17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lives2travel! Love your perspective.
    "Number is lower = Motivation to lose more
    Number is up = Pissed off and motivated to lose more "
  • jennifer_255
    jennifer_255 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I'm a binge eater (or was) and weighing each day reminds me what I'm doing and keeps me accountable to myself. I can't stand to watch the scale go up every day when I'm overeating, it's very effective.

i am exactly likee this and i also know what foods my body likes to hold onto i weigh about 3 times a day if not more obsessed is the word
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I notice when I don't I lose myself, If I keep up with it, I find motivation... Do what you think is healthy for you. I know when things go up and why, but it keeps me on track.. I personally need it, I tried different, and it did not work for me. This is a key in my success personally. We all have our keys!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I find the fluctuations interesting. If I stay the same weight for a few days, that's when I make it official (whether it's good or bad).
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I believe it's BAD, the scale plays tricks on you because of water retention. Weekly weigh-in's are a little more stable, BUT I would also measure your waist, hips, etc. to actually see the fat burning away.

Feel free to friend me if you need more help, have a great day!
  • momof3boys090808
    momof3boys090808 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person really. I started out weighing everyday and it help me stay focused on the whole eating right foods that whole day bc I knew next morning I wanted to see a chamge even if it was .1...and honestly the moment everyone said to not do it everyday I didn't and a year later I am back where I started. I didn't stay focused on the goal. So now I am again weighing every morning just to keep focus and determined. This is my year to lose the weight again and keep it off, good luck to you :)
  • daimere
    daimere Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do. I log them in a seperate app. It helps keep me on track. But I only count one day every week. It also helps me to see how TOM affects my weight
  • edelm09
    edelm09 Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow lots of responses thanks everyone for your comments i decided i will weigh everyday because if the scale goes up it might freak me out but i think it will just motivate me to work harder and ill know what makes me go up and down.. Ill do my official weigh in on Friday mornings if it does start to get to me ill stop weigh everyday and stick to the once a week i think it will help keep me on track..

About 2 months ago i went on a diet and i said i would way next week and near the end of the week i caved in and binged and loads of junk food maybe if i had of weighed every morning and seen the scales go down i would have stuck to it..

Thanks for all your comments and advise..
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's a bad idea IF you get emotionally attached to the number on the scale. If you accept the fact that the number on the scale will fluctuate daily and use that number as data to track the overall trend, then no it's not a bad idea.

THIS!

Remember, everything to do with weight loss is the time old "whatever works for you". You'll get lots of conflicting advice on this site (all well meant!) - do eat 1200 calories, don't, do eat breakfast, don't, do eat back your calories, don't etc, etc, etc, precisely because different things have worked for different people.

As you go along, just make sure you recognise when something is working with or against you and repeat or amend as appropriate. Good luck!
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day.

If I go down, awesome! That inspires me to keep going and I feel really good about myself and the procedure.

If I go up, it happens. It inspires me to try harder for the next day's weigh in. And it helps me feel safe, because I'll catch poor trends sooner by keeping a close eye on how my body reacts to situations.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I do, mainly as a consistent motivator. If I don't, I get lazy and not really care. Its entirely up to you, if you want too, do it. If you don't, don't :)
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    adds a little excitement to the day I think :wink:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone i'm a newbie and i'm wondering do you weigh yourself's everyday or once a week..

Is it a bad idea to weigh everyday? will the scales keep going up and down if i do?..
    As other people have said, it depends on you. If the daily fluctuations will freak you out then don't.

What I don't get is when people say you shouldn't because of the frequent fluctuations. That's the very reason I do it! What could be more accurate than taking the weekly average of daily weigh-ins? If I weigh myself just once a week, I could be at a peak or a valley and not know it for quite a while.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Try different methods, retain what works and lose what doesn't. This applies to most people and most things. I weigh myself every day and recently observed my weight going up despite my being well below TDEE. Some people would panic, I simply took it as indication that I should pay attention to my fiber/sodium intake and see what happens the coming week. We are all different.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I do, and have done so since the beginning. It helps keep me motivated to stay within my calories for the day.

I have found that as in all aspects of this journey, whatever works for you, go for it.
  • purplelizzard
    purplelizzard Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I check my weight throughout the week, but only log it on Thursdays.