lacking omega 3, iron and protein

Options
Hi there im new to myfitness pal, only been on here a week but notice that my diet is lacking in omega 3, iron and protein... can anyone suggest anything in the way of all in one supplements that provide all 3 of these in one? :smile:

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    No, but oily fish and red meat will fix you up quite nicely. Toss in some frosted mini-wheats for a huge punch of iron.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Where does it tell you omega 3 levels? I've not see those anywhere....

But, oily fish and organic grass fed beef, leafy greens, beans/lentils, nuts and seeds etc is a good start to help a bit with all 3 :)
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    eggs , cottage cheese , skim milk , protein powders are good easy cheap ways of getting protein. Fish is the main source for omega 3
  • shells1234
    shells1234 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Cooking with cast iron pans add iron to your food sounds like a bad thing but its not!! lol Eggs have iron, protein, and omega-3.
  • Softtopchick
    Options
    I currently take omega 3 and wanted to take 1 tablet that included omega 3, iron and protein...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Why would you want to take a tablet when you can just eat food rich in those things?

Protein doesn't come in a tablet as far as I know....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Fry a steak in olive oil a couple times/week
  • kakemono
    kakemono Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a supplement, but Fish probably could cover most of that - not that it has all you need though.

If you are deficient in iron, I wouldn't necessarily only look to supplement it. Consider that you may have poor iron absorption. Iron from meat is 30-40% absorbed. Iron from plants is 3% absorbed. Vitamin C increases absorption. Tea and coffee decreases iron absorption 50%.

Also consider researching phytic acid, which steals minerals from your body.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09356.html
  • Jenn842512
    Jenn842512 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    CHIA! Read my Blog, it's a superfood! I make a drink with it every morning, it has everything you're looking for!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    CHIA! Read my Blog, it's a superfood! I make a drink with it every morning, it has everything you're looking for!

Not so super....apparently we don't really benefit from the ALA in chia as our bodies don't convert it to dha or EPA very efficiently...