Tough Mudder

Options
2»

Replies

• columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I did it last year and all I can suggest to do some off road hiking and some gravel running. It is tough on your calves.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I did Diablo in 2012 it was one of the best experiences of my life. I plan on doing another one this year, not sure which one yet though :D The course was pretty brutal, 12 miles total, all hills. I actually have a post about it in my blog (which is listed on my profile). But if you can run the distance you can get through it. Run hills. That's really my only suggestion. Even if it's flat the endurance training will help a lot.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I've done several. Whoever mentioned endurance nailed it on the head. Keep in mind it's 13+ miles of RUNNING. Your feet will be covered in mud, which weighs a hell of a lot. Start jogging with ankle weights to get used to the added weight of mud.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I've done several. Whoever mentioned endurance nailed it on the head. Keep in mind it's 13+ miles of RUNNING. Your feet will be covered in mud, which weighs a hell of a lot. Start jogging with ankle weights to get used to the added weight of mud.

i would not jog with ankle weights at all unless you want busted ankles. the mud does not weigh THAT much.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

i would not jog with ankle weights at all unless you want busted ankles. the mud does not weigh THAT much.

My lower body was caked in at least 5 pounds of mud... You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Been fine with them ever since I started with the leg/ankle weights.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I was looking at some of the obstacles. It looks like it is extremely difficult, but it also looks extremely fun! Call me crazy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

My lower body was caked in at least 5 pounds of mud... You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Been fine with them ever since I started with the leg/ankle weights.

five pounds isn't that big of a deal. i feel that for the most part, running in ankle weights has more risks than rewards.

the mud does come off during the race, from water obstacles or whatever.

i think to really prepare for the race, endurance runs and hills are the best way to enhance the conditioning.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you live by a beach run the beach to get your body prepared.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just signed up for my first one as well, Whistler in June!! I am nervous but excited too!

Edit: Forgot to say feel free to add me too!
  • LizzieRagalnd9
    LizzieRagalnd9 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My endurance is great, I can run :) 10-12 miles on flat land in VA is nothing, I'm not worried about that at all….
    Im more worried about my strength, I have little to no upper body strength, I know that theres going to be a lot of pulling up.
    Some of the obstacles seem impossible to do (for me) if you're exhausted and have no strength.
    So, I'm looking for people to add me that can help with training tips, maybe swap some strength training ideas, it would really help! :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    inverted rows, bench dips, push ups
  • hannie75
    hannie75 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just signed up as well... never done this sort of thing before.. i'm starting from scratch.. Good luck on your training. Keep in touch. Lets do this!
  • hannie75
    hannie75 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Whistler 2014!
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My endurance is great, I can run :) 10-12 miles on flat land in VA is nothing, I'm not worried about that at all….
    Im more worried about my strength, I have little to no upper body strength, I know that theres going to be a lot of pulling up.
    Some of the obstacles seem impossible to do (for me) if you're exhausted and have no strength.
    So, I'm looking for people to add me that can help with training tips, maybe swap some strength training ideas, it would really help! :)

Try their boot camp exercises ;)

http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am going on TM #4 this September. Feel free to add me (this goes to anyone just please say hi with the request and something related to TM) and ask any questions.. I would post more here right now but I shouldn't be on the computer at the moment as I have other things calling my name.. procrastination...