ALMOND BUTTER v PEANUT BUTTER v NUTELLA

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have a jar of almond butter at home. It's not bad, but not great either.

cashew butter is where it's at...

Cashews are the only nut Jesus eats.

True story.
  • ANewMaria2014
    ANewMaria2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My trainer/nutritionist told me to avoid peanuts/ peanut butter and to do almond butter. He said peanuts have dangerously high amounts of omega 3 and although omega 3 is good for you extremly high amounts can be dangerous.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    [

Nah, peanut butters are normally high in added sugars and poor quality hydrogenated oils.

Define "high". Because to me, arguing over 1 or 2 grams of sugar and a half a gram of fat that has non-detectable levels of trans fat* sounds fairly trivial.

*Non-detectable levels of trans-fatty acids in peanut butter. Sanders, TH. J Agric Food Chem. 2001 May;49(5):2349-51.
    this post would be lost burried on the last page...
  • _John_
    Options
    My trainer/nutritionist told me to avoid peanuts/ peanut butter and to do almond butter. He said peanuts have dangerously high amounts of omega 3 and although omega 3 is good for you extremly high amounts can be dangerous.

here's what a run of the mill peanut butter has in 2 tbls. You can decide for yourself. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4366/2

(and he probably said or meant omega 6 FA's).
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Can't I have them all mixed up and heavily spread onto WHITE bread!!!

my fav almond is Justins maple almond..
    fav pbutter, jif natural with a touch of honey
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I absolutely :heart: peanut butter. I've never tried the other two. Just pick what works for you.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    In to read later...
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    [

Nah, peanut butters are normally high in added sugars and poor quality hydrogenated oils.

Define "high". Because to me, arguing over 1 or 2 grams of sugar and a half a gram of fat that has non-detectable levels of trans fat* sounds fairly trivial.

*Non-detectable levels of trans-fatty acids in peanut butter. Sanders, TH. J Agric Food Chem. 2001 May;49(5):2349-51.

Pick a peanut butter.

then buy a pound of almonds and a pound of peanuts and make your own butters and compare.
  • _John_
    Options
    [

Pick a peanut butter.

plain Creamy Jif...has 0.5g more saturated fat than "just peanuts", and 1g of sugar more than "just peanuts".

I would like to see an argument on how those 8 or 9 calories out of 190/serving are remotely significant to the overall diet and make that peanut butter significantly different nutritionally than a PB that is "just PB".

Especially given that I've just supplied a study that shows the trans fat are a non-detect in the partially hydrogenated oils that are used to stabilize the PB.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Pick whichever one you like, but not so much so that you have a problem eating a limited amount at one time.

I like almond, peanut, walnut, and hazelnut.

Cashew is OK - reminds me of sweet cream butter. Macadamia is good, too, but the calories are high.

Nutella doesn't get a second glance from me. Way too sweet. Much tastier to spread your chosen nut butter on whatever you want and then melt your favorite chocolate over it ...
  • _John_
    Options
    [

Pick a peanut butter.

then buy a pound of almonds and a pound of peanuts and make your own butters and compare.
    or you could try this like i did. My lab in grad school measured aflatoxin levels in about 20 different PB's including some organic, natural, traditional commercial, and store crushed PB's.

At the end of the experiment we had all this PB sitting around the lab. I ate them all.

Jif was far and away still my favorite.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Ooh that reminds me, pb mixed with a touch of golden syrup is amazing. :drinker:
  • endlesswonderr
    endlesswonderr Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ALL OF THEM topped on a banana and jelly sandwich.
    the things I would do..
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of almond butter. I'm a peanut butter/Nutella kind of girl. Luckily, I'm able to limit myself with how much I eat of each. I always have a few jars floating around the house.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    [

Pick a peanut butter.

plain Creamy Jif...has 0.5g more saturated fat than "just peanuts", and 1g of sugar more than "just peanuts".

I would like to see an argument on how those 8 or 9 calories out of 190/serving are remotely significant to the overall diet and make that peanut butter significantly different nutritionally than a PB that is "just PB".

Especially given that I've just supplied a study that shows the trans fat are a non-detect in the partially hydrogenated oils that are used to stabilize the PB.

I don't dislike commercial peanut butter the extra fat and added sugar. I dislike it because the fat is almost entirely different fat. Much of the flavor in peanuts and peanut butters comes from the peanut oil, which is removed and replaced with cheap, ****ty hydrogenated oils so that they can sell you cheap peanut butter and sell someone else expensive peanut oil. But, I like my peanut butter to taste like...peanuts.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Much of the flavor in peanuts and peanut butters comes from the peanut oil, which is removed and replaced with cheap, ****ty hydrogenated oils so that they can sell you cheap peanut butter and sell someone else expensive peanut oil. But, I like my peanut butter to taste like...peanuts.

This is completely false. They don't take peanut oil out of Jif and Skippy and replace it with partially hydrogenated oils. This is evidenced by the fact that there are undetectable levels of trans fats in these peanut butters.

They add small amounts of hydrogenated oil for the purposes of consistency and mixing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Much of the flavor in peanuts and peanut butters comes from the peanut oil, which is removed and replaced with cheap, ****ty hydrogenated oils so that they can sell you cheap peanut butter and sell someone else expensive peanut oil. But, I like my peanut butter to taste like...peanuts.

This is completely false. They don't take peanut oil out of Jif and Skippy and replace it with partially hydrogenated oils. This is evidenced by the fact that there are undetectable levels of trans fats in these peanut butters.

They add small amounts of hydrogenated oil for the purposes of consistency and mixing.

I suppose any trans fat in Jif pb would be naturlally occuring. They add fully (not paritally) hydrogenated oil to their peanut butter.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I suppose any trans fat in Jif pb would be naturlally occuring. They add fully (not paritally) hydrogenated oil to their peanut butter.

Oh really? Even less reason to care, then.

They certainly don't remove the peanut oil before adding other oil.
  • 20Grit
    Options

Ooh that reminds me, pb mixed with a touch of golden syrup is amazing. :drinker:

Peanutbutter & syrup is my fav!!!! I don't know about a touch though, I drowned it!
  • 20Grit
    Options
    CookieButter.jpg

ETA: spread this stuff on one saltine, spread nutella on another saltine, make a sandwich with them, eat, repeat, thank me via PM.

OMW!