why can't I just be happy and proud of myself?

Options
If some one had told me 6 months ago that today I would weigh 128 lbs, I would have been ecstatic! When I started logging I had no idea what to expect and I would have been happy to lose anything! But yet here I am, the smallest I have been in 10 years, and I am not happy. I have lowered my goal weight 3 times and my body still doesn't look the way I would like it to. It is so frustrating to realize that I have to keep going lower. 125 was my ultimate goal weight but clearly that is not going to cut it! I eat at a deficit and do strength training, but I still have a large stomach and love handles. They are both shrinking, but at a much slower rate than the rest of my body.

My husband is taking me on a big vacation for our 10 year anniversary (our first trip without the kids!) and when we first started planning it I was excited that maybe I could wear a bikini but now that the trip is only 6 weeks away I am realizing I am not going to have the bikini body I was hoping for. I really wish I could just be happy with myself for what I have accomplished so far...but instead I keep focusing on the parts I still don't like.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Give it time and keep working. What kind of strength training do you do? If you're not currently doing them, add deadlifts, squats, pull-ups, and a clean to your routine, they're like magic when it comes to tightening things up after losing weight.

Rigger
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I do! It has taken me some time to get used to my new skinnier self. I still tend to see my imperfections instead of my awesomeness. I am also still trying to come to terms with the fact that I may never have a flat stomach. Even with lifting I still have a belly pooch and hip meat. I just have those genetics and I won't be able to change them. So I am trying to not focus on what I look like but rather what clothes I fit in and how I can improve my fitness. For what it is worth I am 5'3", 119 pounds with a 25 inch waist and 34 inch hips. Size 30C bra.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I am never happy even though I have accomplished so much, there is always room for improvement. Keep up the good work and I bet you are more beach ready than you think :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sure, I think we all get down on ourselves from time to time. A little perspective can go a long way towards making you feel better! Pull out some before pictures and old "fat" clothes and really think about how much hard work you've put in to get where you are today and how much you've accomplished. And not just how much weight or inches but how fit and healthy you are. For instance, my balance has improved greatly since I started all this so I'm much less of a clutz than I used to be. :)

You may not have gotten that bikini body yet but you're still working on it and haven't given up and I think that right there says a lot. Stop focusing on the negatives and focus on the positives instead!

A lot of folks don't talk about it too much but a big part of weight loss and getting that look we want is patience. The body doesn't respond as quickly as we think it should, especially the closer we are to goal. Make sure you're setting small, realistic, achievable goals and not pushing yourself too hard.

Chin up!
  • tly74
    tly74 Posts: 2
    Options
    Ahhh this sounds exactly like me. Ive lost 15kgs( equivalent to around 33 pounds) and despite being ecstatic over those numbers, the image I currently have of myself isn't what I thought those numbers would yield. However, I noticed that a lot of this was due to how I perceived myself. I often get noticed by others stating how different I look even though I think the change wasn't that drastic; this could be the same case for you.

I recommend focusing on the positives and continue to persevere and work hard. Realise that you've nearly reached your goal which is an AMAZING feat in itself! Continue what you're doing and I'm pretty sure that you'll eventually be happy with your results.
    Don't feel down and make sure to put on a smile for your big vacation! :D