I am over-shooting calorie intake everyday

Options
soshiv
soshiv Posts: 13 Member
I am over-shooting/over-eating on a daily basis. I am having difficult time staying within the restricted calories.

I work out every day (5-6 times a week).

I am vegetarian.

Weekends are worse in my food intake (I hit 3K calorie this past sunday).

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    What can you do to not overshoot calories every day?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    What's your daily goal?

I would almost bet you it is too restrictive.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Are you losing weight and/or inches?

Perhaps you need to adjust your calories so that you're eating the amount you're "overshooting" by.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too (especially on weekends and find myself going above 3k) and find that it's usually a result of my own lack of planning. Try to plan a full day of food ahead of time and see if it's easier to stay at goal. I'll try to take my own advice and put it into practice too.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary would help us give you better advice.
  • rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Weekends are bad for me because my routine is different. I have to keep myself very busy and preoccupied to stay in the rhythm I follow during the week. In my case, idle hands find the cookie jar.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That's nice.

If you open your diary we can be more helpful.
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options

This.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    open your diary, so we can be more helpful.

Other than that: when I was still a vegetarian, the culprit was usually cheese.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    a. your calorie deficit is probably too aggressive.

b. plan out your day with pre-made snacks and meals, and keep them readily available. Keep other foods difficult to access, i.e., close out the kitchen, avoid parties or get-togethers where you know there will be goal-blowing temptations, at least not without eating first.
  • SarahJains
    SarahJains Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    3000 is one hell of a lot of calories to take in ! Open your diary so we can see what you are eating :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Since you say you're working out 5-6 times a day, are you eating your exercise calories? You can, you know.
  • sch1994
    sch1994 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I log everything i eat just before my meal, and then i will not let my self eat to late, and to stop my hunger i drink allot of cold water or have a mug of hot chocolate made with water and a little milk, its hard but if you really want the weight to go you have to stick to them, as they know what they are talking about!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Are you eating certain really calorific foods that you could cut back on, or is it just lots of different things?

What's your height and weight, and goal weight? Also, how many calories do you burn when you work out?
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I have packages of high protein meal replacement shakes with a blender bottle and protein bars that are not high cal (and that meet my 40% Protein, 40% Carb and 20% Fat goal) everywhere I go. This way if a meeting or my errands run longer than I expected I can have a quick meal rather than run to a restaurant. Protein will help curve your hunger. If you are a social eater, try to make plans for after dinner hour so you are not tempted to eat restaurant food.
  • soshiv
    Options
    OK. I opened my food and please don't judge me too harshly. Many of the things are from Indian menu.

I have gone "yo-yo" on weight. Up 1lbs. Down 2lbs. Then up. on a Daily basis. So pretty much remained the same since joining MFP (2 wks).

When choosing food, I just added what was there in the MFP database. I erred on the side of MORE calories/servings instead of less.

I am going to follow the advice on planning and writing down in MFP food before I actually eat.

* At times, I know I shouldn't be eating but I just can't help it. Sometime on weekend, when whole family is eating, I have especially difficult time controlling, when others are eating.

*I eat a lot of salad and don't count those points (just add salad dressing if it is not fat-free or things like mustard/vinegar).
    But I sometimes don't feel like eating salad.

I have difficult time not-eating when not hungry. I am trying to find something else to do...like cleaning or finding a new hobbies to occupy me.

What a struggle. It is depressing. I want to have total control over this.

Thx to all for responding!
  • soshiv
    Options
    5'6''. 180ish. Eventual Goal 150. Presently want to be in 170s.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything and start logging accurately, stop guessing so much.

Also, a quick glance looks like you're high on carbs and low on protein. Try incorporating more protein into your diet. It will help keep you from feeling so hungry, as well as help maintain lean body mass while on a caloric deficit.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    What you do is go to 'settings' and open your diary so we can give you the more personal advice you asked for.

Generic advice without seeing your diary: more water, fluctuations happen so if you're weighing yourself everyday and can't be emotionally detached from the number on the scale you need to stop, new exercise programs can make scale weight go up temporarily, less sodium, don't restrict your calories too much or you risk 3K-calorie binges, open your diary.