Calling all runners!

Options
2»

Replies

• supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting your running journey! I'm sorry it's been stressful.

I started running when i was 320 lbs and I started with C25K. It took me like 18 weeks to complete the program and while I could complete it, I was sloooooooow. Which was fine. I didn't mind being slow. (almost 80 lbs down and I'm MUCH faster now!) I also got hurt while I was training. I pulled a tendon in the bottom of my foot and it took nearly 6 months for it to fully heal. I was able to get back to working out earlier than that, but I was very careful on it until I felt no pain what so ever.

My tips -

1. Go get fitted for proper running shoes at a specialty running store. They'll pick the proper one for you and talk to them about where you are feeling pain - they will also show you how to tie your shoe properly to help you deal with whatever you might be feeling. Who knew there were different ways to tie your shoes?

2. Slow down. Slow way down. Work on running longer, not faster. When I first started, I was running at about 3.8. Granted, I am short with very short legs, so this felt like flying at the time. Now I run closer to 4.6. But I could never have gotten through the first year going any faster than that.

3. Talk to your doctor and check out bandages and braces. I used a foot brace for a little while to run with because it kept my ankle straight and stopped me from curving my right foot outward. That's what kept re-injuring me.

4. Most specialty running shoe stores offer gait classes. Mine are usually in the summer, but they offer a few indoor ones during the winter. They'll evaluate your gait and show you how to properly breath and run and how your foot should fall with each step. VERY helpful.

5. Take it easy. Listen to your pain. If you can't build up to running yet, maybe weight training to strengthen the muscles in your legs, particularly around your knee, which will help you when you're ready to start running.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I want to be a runner. Plain and simple. I just do. I've started with the C25K program several times. The first time, I quit because I couldn't find the time to go outside to run. Then I got a treadmill. 4 weeks into my second try, I guess I sprained my ankle. It hurt to walk and was so swollen. Fast forward about 5 weeks of resting, I start again. This time, it's my back wanting to give me a fit. I don't want to do any permanent damage, but I seriously don't want to give up this time. I just want to ask how long it took you more experienced runners to get into it. Do you have any tips for a newbie like myself who's struggling to work into running?
    The first thing is can you actually walk for 30 minutes at a brisk pace several times a week? If not I'd build up to this before even looking at C25K. I didn't get on with it at all and in the end did my own walk run program at my own pace. I used markers such as lampposts to pace myself. The best advice I was given was run slow. it doesn't matter even if you run slower than your walking pace as the speed will come over time. You should in reality be able to hold a conversation.
  • RyanDryFly
    RyanDryFly Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just got started running myself five month ago and 50 lbs heavier. I've never ran before and always hated running.

I set my sights on a half marathon for my first race ever (crazy I know but I figured if you are going to do it then pick a lofty goal and give it a try). I trained for 12 weeks for the Dallas half in December but it got canceled due to an ice storm. I went from barely able to walk a mile to my last long run of 12 miles at a steady 9 minutes per mile pace which was on par for completing a half marathon in 2 hours. In those 12 weeks I learned I love running.

I'm now training for 2 upcoming half marathons one in February and one in March. My goal for the February half is 1 hour and 50 minutes and I think I'm almost there. The training is one of the hardest things I’ve ever done but so worth the effort! My body seemed to go through a tempering of sorts. I was sore and in pain on many runs but the pains gradually lessoned after building muscles I never knew I had. There were many times that I worried about little aches and pains thinking that I might be hurting myself. For me it was a mental hurtle that I had to get past. I never respected runners until I started it myself. I now love getting to that point where I don’t think I can go another step and then pushing past it, throwing it all out and setting a personal best. I just hit my person best for one mile last night (6:51) it hurt, I could barely breathe afterwards and my legs were on fire but I did it and love myself for it.

If this is something you want to do, then commit, never miss a planned workout and make it happen. The only barrier on your running journey is yourself. You will find you are strong and can do anything if you stick with it. Best of luck!!!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I knew this would turn up better results than google would.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Slow down!! Best piece of advice I ever got when I was first starting! You will feel ridiculous running so slow but it is important to run at a pace where you can speak in full sentences without huffing and puffing and feeling like you are dying. And start small. Do intervals like the c25k instructs you to do. But redo weeks if you need to. You have the rest of your life to be a runner. Don't be in a rush to be excellent at it. Take your time, slow down, and soon you will amaze yourself with your progress. And listen to your body too. Even if you can only run one time a week without injuring yourself that is fine.

This!! I started running without any outside advice and did everything by trail and error and suffered for it. I tell any fledgling runner to start with C25K which you are and which is good.

Finish C25K first, repeat weeks if you need to. Some people well tell you to have a 5K race scheduled to keep you on track towards a goal. Dont. You can go out and just run 5K on your own at the end when you are ready. Once you've finished you can think about races and adding milage.

Get fitted for running shoes at a running store NOW. I started running in my everyday sneakers and I hurt myself.

Go as slow as you need. Speed comes much much later. All you are worried about right now is transforming yourself into a runner which C25K will do. It's not just about cardio, it's about getting your feet, bones, muscles and mind into running form.
  • LadyTobler
    LadyTobler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    51798ad2-0e28-40e1-aae6-82f6a95c0fc6_zpsdcb85bab.jpg

I am a new runner as well! I started a while back and got to week 8 of this running program before I injured my back and had to do 8 weeks of physical therapy. I have recently started over and I am currently on week 2. I really love this program because it isn't too overwhelming and I noticed a big change in my body during the first go round. I also bought some good quality running shoes (Brooks) and that really helped step up my game as well. Good luck to you!
  • uberdilettante
    uberdilettante Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bumpin' fo later
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options
    51798ad2-0e28-40e1-aae6-82f6a95c0fc6_zpsdcb85bab.jpg

I am a new runner as well! I started a while back and got to week 8 of this running program before I injured my back and had to do 8 weeks of physical therapy. I have recently started over and I am currently on week 2. I really love this program because it isn't too overwhelming and I noticed a big change in my body during the first go round. I also bought some good quality running shoes (Brooks) and that really helped step up my game as well. Good luck to you!

I'm on week 2, as well!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Looks like you need to check your technique. Google "Chi running", it's definitely helped with my back pain from running as I used to stick my bum out when I ran!

All my other beginner's running tips are here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

1. When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

2. It gets easier. You’ll be amazed at the progress you make after the first week or two and soon won’t believe where you came from!

3. Walk/run is the way ahead. Programmes like C25K will build up your running time until you can run for half an hour. It doesn’t need to stop there! A famous running coach Jeff Galloway recommends walk/runs for all longer distances. Friends have achieved much faster marathon times taking walk breaks every five minutes than slowly plodding the whole way.

4. Get great running shoes as soon as you can. You’ll be amazed how light and bouncy they feel! Get fitted in a proper running shop to buy your first pair. If you love that model, buy your next pairs online. Last season’s models can be half the price and sometimes only the colour varies.

5. Get a great sports bra as soon as you can. I love Shock Absorber high impact bras. Boys, if you have moobs, close-fitting clothes and a plaster over your nipples will stop you looking like you’ve been shot twice in the chest with jogger’s nipple!

6. Socks make a difference. Think your shoes are rubbing? It might be that you need wicking, seamless socks.

7. Wear fitted, breathable clothing, not baggy cotton. Even if you’re overweight, you’ll look slimmer in Lycra and it won’t hold sweat. Plus chafing is NOT a good look!

8. You will get aches and pains – most aren’t worrying. The most common are pains along the front of the shins (shin splints) and aching knees. Rest, ice, take ibuprofen and start again easily when you’re ready. MOST of the time the pains are due to doing something your body isn’t used to. Avoid making exaggerated heel landings to avoid the worst of beginner’s shin splints.

9. It’s much safer than you think. A lot of women suddenly feel like they’ll be targeted if out running. If you stick to the same streets and same time of day you feel safe walking down, you’ll be fine. But DO tell someone where you’re going and how long you’ll be, and take a phone if you’re out for a long one.

10. Beware the “toxic 10 minutes”. When you build up to running over 10 minutes at a time, that first 10 minutes will feel like living hell. It gets better! Your body moves on to a different energy release process after this time and you will get second wind soon after, I promise!

11. You can compete with world-class athletes. Many mass-participation events from charity 5ks through marathons and triathlons you can find yourself next to world champions and celebrities. What a boost!

12. If you’re a gym bunny start out on the treadmill, but get outside as soon and as often as you can. Your iPod can only distract you so much. Get outside to see and feel the seasons change and nature in its glory. Changing terrain will challenge your body in new ways.

13. High-tech is great… It’s amazing seeing your progress through your heart-rate monitor, GPS, phone apps like CardioTrainer that track your distance and calories etc. while distracting yourself with boosting tunes on your MP3 player.

14. Low-tech is great… Once in a while ditch EVERYTHING – even your watch – and just run. It feels great!

15. Carry water if you’re going out for more than 40 minutes or if it’s very hot. There are some great ring-shaped hand-held bottles and water belts you can carry all your other accoutrements in too.

16. Don’t drink back your calories. You do not need sports drinks, gels, protein shakes or recovery drinks if you’re out for an hour or less.

17. You can race. As soon as you can get out there for half an hour, enter a beginner-friendly 5K. It’s amazing motivation.

18. You won’t be last. There might be 200 or 40,000 people in your race, what are the chances of you being the slowest? Even if you are, so what? It’s the only other “place” after first, second and third! You got round which is more than 99% of the population did that morning!

19. Learn to run alone and with buddies. Friends can push you to go that bit faster and further. On the other hand they might hold you back if your goals are different. Mix and match.

20. Don’t neglect other exercises. Cross training will keep you toned and injury free. Do upper-body and core exercises to balance yourself out. Do squats, lunges and balancing exercises to prevent lower-body injuries.

My final bit of advice is YOU ARE A RUNNER the minute you set foot outdoors and go faster than a walk. Forget all the stuff about jogging, or how fast you have to be, just do it. Have fun out there!
  • spartyhawk
    Options
    This is great i am glad to see allot of runners on here. Just take your time listen to your body and take your time you will get to your goal. Any Runners on here in Michigan?
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Among the things commented here - warming up/cooling down is very important as is stretching. My back gets tight and sore as well, often times because I'm not relaxing my arms/shoulders when I run. Or my posture is bad (need to work more on my core). I keep my head up to help alleviate hunching over and the pain that causes.

After my runs, it feels really good to stretch by bending forward. It takes a lot of the tension out. I also will roll my shoulders during the run to loosen up.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    Options
    I squat down and bend forward to turn off my treadmill when I'm done and just stay there for a while. It feels heavenly to my back. I guess that counts as a stretch...

But really, thank you all for the great advice! I'm absorbing it like a sponge.
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Glad you started this topic. I'm also new to running. Tomorrow will be W6D3 on C25K so far I have not had to repeat but tomorrow I will heed the slow down advice I see here.