Any Americans/ Canadians been to Wales?

Options
stages95
stages95 Posts: 39 Member
Hey,

Just interested to know how many of you had been and what you thought of it! ? :smile:

Went to Vancouver in August 2011, such a beautiful place, went to Squamish and saw Shannon Falls! Beautiful! :love:

Replies

• meganwinx
    meganwinx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Been to England. never Wales tho :/ I'd love to go back someday to see more of the UK
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been to Wales. Hay on Wye to be exact. Not terribly friendly. I did get a kick out of the locals singing along with Elvis at the local pub and the younger generation trying to teach the older generation the Welch language.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    never been but i've always wanted to visit cardiff.

welsh people seem friendly, i've met quite a few when i lived in NYC and it seems i could always tell the Welsh guys because they'd almost always end up singling out my female friends and i and singing to us.

like seriously is a cappello a national past time or something? :laugh:
  • Froggy_
    Options
    Hay on Wye's barely in Wales. I'm not from the US or Canada but I do visit Wales regularly and I've always found folks to be really friendly.
    Beautiful country.
    (and, no, I'm not Welsh! :wink: )
  • anthonyhere
    anthonyhere Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am originally from Wales!

It is a beautiful country and very friendly, I always enjoy going back to visit, check out the Pembrokeshire coastline.
  • stages95
    Options
    Haha that's awesome. I'm glad people see the difference between England and Wales. No offence to any of you guys but a lot of Americans ignorantly think Wales is in England :angry:

I'm from the capital, Cardiff. It's pretty nice. There's a castle, the bay, lots of modern shopping and guided tours :smile:
  • stages95
    Options
    Yes, I have been to Wales. Hay on Wye to be exact. Not terribly friendly. I did get a kick out of the locals singing along with Elvis at the local pub and the younger generation trying to teach the older generation the Welch language.

Oh really? I find most people to be quite pleasant, the language and singing are taken quite seriously :smile: I'd love to be able to speak more Welsh but i'm hardly linguistic and it's not the easiest of languages to learn apparently :tongue:
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am from Canada and was in Cardiff briefly during my last trip to the UK. I always love going over that way (especially Wales) because they know how to pronounce my name on the first try! (It's Bronwyn). :wink:
  • stages95
    Options
    never been but i've always wanted to visit cardiff.

welsh people seem friendly, i've met quite a few when i lived in NYC and it seems i could always tell the Welsh guys because they'd almost always end up singling out my female friends and i and singing to us.

like seriously is a cappello a national past time or something? :laugh:

I'd definitely come to Cardiff at some point if you get the chance! It's great, I think compared to most cities, the transport system is well inter-linked and there's plenty of guided tours to see poignant places in Cardiff. I'd also recommend the Breacon Beacons which is Mid-Wales and places such as Dolgellau which are quiet seaside towns up North! Wales is quite a beautiful place :smile:
  • stages95
    Options
    I am from Canada and was in Cardiff briefly during my last trip to the UK. I always love going over that way (especially Wales) because they know how to pronounce my name on the first try! (It's Bronwyn). :wink:

Haha! Yeah, Bronwyn is quite a common Welsh name these days. The Cardiff accent is apparently more "english" than Welsh according to some people I know from other parts :laugh: I think Wales, especially the countryside is probably one of the best places in the UK
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    i live in england and have never been to wales.Scotland on the other hand i just LOVE!
    Also been to vancouver island. it was beautiful lol iv never wanted to come homeless then when i went there lol
  • stages95
    Options
    I am originally from Wales!

It is a beautiful country and very friendly, I always enjoy going back to visit, check out the Pembrokeshire coastline.

Aw awesome, I've been down that way a few times, I quite like the Gower, one of the beaches down that way got voted in the top 10 beaches of the world. It even beat Bondi Beach, Australia :happy:
  • Froggy_
    Options
    I've just been reading about the "Singing sands" in the Llyn Peninsula, so that beach is now on our "must visit" list - hopefully this year. Beautiful countryside and a lovely coastline.
  • stages95
    Options
    I've just been reading about the "Singing sands" in the Llyn Peninsula, so that beach is now on our "must visit" list - hopefully this year. Beautiful countryside and a lovely coastline.

Oh lovely, I shall read up on it! :smile:
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I've been to London but not Wales. I want to go. Hubby and I may go this summer... - My Grandmother is 100% Welsh and my Grandfather is 100% Irish. I was in an Irish pub recently and an Irishman asked me if I was Welsh Irish. He's the only person who ever got most of my nationality right!
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've been to England but not Wales :) Its one of the best places I've visited!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    In high school I did a foreign exchange program to Wales and I enjoyed it we were able to stay with a family for the time we were there and I stayed on a goat farm. The family was very nice and helpful, however I most likely did not go during the best time our program was during the winter so it was very cold and rainy. One of our trips was to Cardiff and I liked visiting had trouble crossing the road but that is normal so I am told with Americans. We loved the shopping and visiting the castles and the mines. It was very pretty countryside and even though we weren't old enough to drink in the pubs :wink: we had a great time anyways.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I visited Cardiff last year, sometime in March 2013 I think, was a good weekend because the Rugby team had won a big game and everyone was having a blast.

I probably eat like 20 Welshcakes from Fabulous while walking around the Bay area, The Doctor Who experience was a blast. For some odd reason I was super amused by the reflective pylon in front of the Millennium Centre. Techniquest made me look silly because I was as excited as the little kids with some of the stuff.

I took the boat ride to downtown from the Bay which was cool, got to go hang out at some night clubs and even got kidnapped by a local lady to Morganstown, she kept saying I was so "lush" which means a different thing here in the US.

The Cardiff Castle wasn't as big as I was expecting but that might've been due to the fact I was just in Paris the weekend before and got to see a lot bigger castles.

All in all I had a great time in Wales and might visit again in the future.

P.S: I'm American but claim Canada whenever I'm in a hostile environment :-P