Running and varicose veins

Options
debuckl
debuckl Posts: 360 Member
A few weeks ago Lina ('s husband) mentioned getting varicose veins from running. I had never heard of that before and studying online says that only running on hard surfaces would affect them. I run on dirt. BUT since reading her posts I've been watching my legs closely. I've only been running for a few months and I think I might be getting some veins. :grumble: I started running because I want to take care of my body and be healthy. Now I'm scared the running might be damaging it. I really want to keep running, but I am too young for varicose veins. Any ideas? Am I just crazy? My sisters who have been running longer don't have them.

Replies

• debuckl
    Options
    A few weeks ago Lina ('s husband) mentioned getting varicose veins from running. I had never heard of that before and studying online says that only running on hard surfaces would affect them. I run on dirt. BUT since reading her posts I've been watching my legs closely. I've only been running for a few months and I think I might be getting some veins. :grumble: I started running because I want to take care of my body and be healthy. Now I'm scared the running might be damaging it. I really want to keep running, but I am too young for varicose veins. Any ideas? Am I just crazy? My sisters who have been running longer don't have them.
  • eriquita
    eriquita Posts: 69
    Options
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Please tell me it's not true!!!!!!!:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this before!
  • Xtracrispy69
    Options
    Yup believe it or not, as a weight lifter I get them in the back of my calves. As guys we like lots of veins, sounds weird yes I know, but it increases the overall look of our size. I have two running down the middle of each calf. If its a concern, make sure you have the best running shoes possible to minimize impact, best advise...see the doc
  • debuckl
    Options
    I've exercised most of my life including weights, but I've never had this happen before. Am I just getting older (I guess I can deal with that) or is the running is too hard on my body?
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    I mentioned I believe at the time when her husband said it caused veins, I think it is going to be per person because running is helping me.
    When I underwent treatment, they put me on steiroids, I gained 50 pounds in 6 months and my legs turned into road maps.
    Now that I have been off the bad drugs for 6 months I am slowly loosing some of the weight and running, and they are going away. I don't think they will go away completely, but I know they are bad in my dads side of the family and I am always looking. (he did stripping and everything a few times)
    Besides, they are coming out with great procedures to remove the spider veins in a quick visit during lunch.
    I want to see how much it is, but I saw it on TV and it was amazing, right before your eyes, they just went away in a second! Poof like magic. They took a needle at one end and I don't remeber what they did, but it looked like they just sucked out the red color. :drinker:
    SM
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    Oh, when I run, I usually run on the dirt next to the road, so that could be helping to. I didn't know it would help, just liked the trail feeling better.