Tell me your real and/or clean food weight loss experience

Options
In the past year, I've been making the switch over to a chemical, preservative, additive, packaged FREE life. It started with hair products and has made it's way to my kitchen. I must say, I'm loving it. I have done so much reading about real food in the past few months and now that I'm comfortable with it (buying, cooking, etc), I can start incorporating a new weight loss way of life. I eat food to nourish my body now. So, tell me, anyone who eats real and/or clean.... have you been successful in weight loss? Do you feel better than when you ate "diet food"?

:smile:

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have lost 117 lbs to date by eating what I call a clean diet. You will see that different people have their own version of clean and some will contest the use of that adjective.

I had to eliminate certain food groups because of 1) food intolerance 2) desiring steady states of energy throughout the day and 3) nourishing my body with nutrient dense calories that would take longer to metabolize thus keeping me feeling satiated.

I have been successful at losing weight thus far and have a few more pounds to lose, some more BF% to drop and more muscle mass to gain.

I have been using products for my body and home that are free from harsh chemicals for several years now. I did not want my children to be exposed to fumes so when they were born, many years ago, I made that switch. Distilled vinegar, baking soda, Castille soap, Dr. Bronner's products, are all my friends.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hey there OP! I would be interested in some of your recipes and grocery lists. We have cut processed food WAY back at our house, but I'm always looking for new whole food recipes :flowerforyou:
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight while continuing to eat the foods I enjoyed. Then, after I transitioned into maintenance I got sucked into the whole 'clean' eating movement and jumped in hard core. After several months I had to abandon it because it was causing me to go down the road of orthorexia (I have no previous history of EDs). I also didn't notice any health benefits from eating this way, but I started losing my hair, lost my period and my sleep got messed up. So for me labeling foods 'clean/unclean' good/bad didn't do anything magical except make me miserable. Now I'm back to eating the way I was before and I'm maintaining an almost 60lb loss in a way that is sustainable for me, for the next 40+ years :smile:

Nothing wrong with trying new things, but please listen to your body's cues and if you start having signs that something's wrong, then reevaluate!
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I generally eat clean

but I have started to be more aware of my choices and incorporating more of a balanced diet into my meals following the food guide.

For me my problem was too much alcohol and not enough activity.

But for an example a coworker has cut out all refined sugars and refined wheat products and has lost 10 pounds in a month.

We will see how my waistline changes by working harder
  • amyannie
    amyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I recently really changed my eating habits (like a little over a week ago) by concentrating more on fruits and vegetables and staying away from packaged meals and have already dropped 3 pounds! I'd love to support and get some in return by anyone who is eating this way by sharing ideas! Feel free to add me :)
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I frankly think the most important part of eating clean is to get more vegetables and fruits in your diets. Especially "leaves" of things. The more you do that, the better you will do regardless of almost everything else. If your version of "eating clean" results in that, I think you will see a nice change over time.

When you feel like "breaking" from your clean eating, don't go 100% the wrong direction, just ease the rules to still be as clean as you can in a way you can do it for 1+ year.

I'm still in my journey, but have lost a ton of weight over the last year, and increased fruits and veggies are a large part of that.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone great success in whatever you choose to do. My story is not about food labeling. I've lost 47 lbs and am in the best shape of my life by focusing on nutrient dense foods while still eating things I love. Yes, that means ice cream, pizza and fast food. That means I get the nutrition my body needs to perform, while still enjoying myself. This works for me and can work for anyone. I just don't see the point in making life harder by worrying about what is a trivial word "clean" or "dirty". The body converts the nutrients I need from whatever source I choose. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not the most clean person in the world, but it's always my aspiration/guideline of my everyday diet. The first time I tried to lose weight, I just tried living in the gym and cutting calories. I succeeded, but I gained it all back the next year. When I tried the second time, I did a lot of research on clean eating and fell in love. When I eat clean, I can consume more foods because most natural food is less calorie dense (which was an issue before because I was the queen of being "hangry" the first time I tried to lose weight). It also has a more positive effect on my entire body. As a musical theatre performer, I am in constant need of energy, and clean foods not only give me that, but because many are water dense, it's rare that my voice is not audition ready on a regular basis. I also really really love food, and clean eating has expanded my food repertoire. Oh, and my regular stomach issues I used to have are almost obsolete.