Running/jogging belts or packs?

Options
Hey runners!

Since women's workout pants don't usually come equipped with pockets, I am in need of something to carry things in as I'm running. Not necessarily water, but things like cell phone, keys, mace, you know...normal things you have to have on you when you jog.

I'm not sure what I should be looking for though. I've seen belts and small backpacks. What do you use and where did you find it?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My dad purchased on off Amazon for me for Christmas that I really like. I can't remember the brand off hand, but typing in "running belt" brings up lots of results.
  • GIA4FITNESS
    Options
    Do they bounce around a lot when you run? I'm worried it may be bothersome. I'm not sure if the backpacks would be better either. I'll check Amazon, thank you!
  • training2bme
    Options
    SPibelt makes an AWESOME belt. It won't bounce and it will hold to you. Also, most running pants come with zipper pockets if you just want to carry keys or cash.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like wearing a belt/having something around my waist when I run. I avoid this by running with the a combination of the below depending on the day:

Running pants, shorts or shirts that have a small zip pocket I can fit a key to carry (the shorts and pants have the pocket at the small of my back, I don't even feel it)
    An armband I wear my cellphone on.
    A small handheld water bottle that has a pocket I can keep some cash, snack, whatever (small) things I need. I have one like this: http://www.nathansports.com/hydration/handhelds/torchlight™-quickshot-plus

It will probably take some trial and error to figure out what feels best for you. Good luck!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Do they bounce around a lot when you run? I'm worried it may be bothersome. I'm not sure if the backpacks would be better either. I'll check Amazon, thank you!

Mine's not bad...it doesn't particularly bother me. It's a bit stretchy, so it's easy to get a snug fit without it cutting into you. I'll try to remember to check the brand when I get home tonight.
  • GIA4FITNESS
    Options
    I would love to be able to find pants with pockets that work for me, but all the pants with pockets are that weird nylon or whatever they are. Im not a fan of those but maybe I'll have to get used to it. Ill check out all your suggestions though. Thank you!
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    I just purchased a $7 "outdoors" brand waist pack from walmart last night and did some C25K with it. Once strapped down tight it didn't flop at all and I had some considerable weight in it between my keys, wallet, phone and CCW.
  • Tantalaliscious
    Tantalaliscious Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I purchased a small fanny pack from Burlington Coat Factory a few day ago in the "sport/fitness" section. It has an adjustable belt it's really light and it's small enough for just my cellphone and house keys. I also got a arm type strap that can hold the same things for back up depending on where I run.
  • nerfherder83
    nerfherder83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fitletic (previously iFitness) belts. http://www.fitletic.com/

I have a Samsung Galaxy S 3 - a big phone - and I didn't want to get a huge armband for it. My belt fits my phone in the front pouch and has an extra side pouch for my keys. Plus they have add-ons for phone pouches and water bottles that you can add and remove from the belt. I have a belly (pant size 12) and have no problem keeping the belt around my hips (with one caveat - the belt will slip around more with slippery nylon-type clothing).

I have this model: http://www.fitletic.com/running-belts/ultimate-ii-running-belt.html - I'd really recommend it given the items you want to carry. It's a really versatile belt.

If you run any races, even 5Ks.... those bib toggles are amazing. At first I refused to wear my bib on them cuz I thought it'd look ridiculous, but it really doesn't. Soooo much better than safety pins!

I don't know where you're located, but if you're in Southern California Fitletic should have a booth at the Disneyland Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon Expo this weekend. That's where I got mine - they let me try it on and put all my gadgets in it before buying it. ;)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use a FlipBelt and I love it! Some sports stores carry it, but I bought mine online (their website shows the sports stores that carry the belt). I carry my phone, snacks (for long runs), tissues and all sorts of other gear in it.

It stays in place (I have a M & L - since my weight has fluctuated) wrong sizing will force the belt to go up/down. When properly fitted it stays right in place and you really forget it's there.

I found their customer service to be awesome as well (my first order got lost in the mail and they quickly sent out a replacement).
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I like my SPI belt. I got a 2 pouch version. I get some bounce when running if I overload it, but otherwise it does the job great. And you can get them in many colors/patterns or with loops for holding gels, affixing race numbers, etc.
  • GIA4FITNESS
    Options
    Fitletic (previously iFitness) belts. http://www.fitletic.com/

I have a Samsung Galaxy S 3 - a big phone - and I didn't want to get a huge armband for it. My belt fits my phone in the front pouch and has an extra side pouch for my keys. Plus they have add-ons for phone pouches and water bottles that you can add and remove from the belt. I have a belly (pant size 12) and have no problem keeping the belt around my hips (with one caveat - the belt will slip around more with slippery nylon-type clothing).

I have this model: http://www.fitletic.com/running-belts/ultimate-ii-running-belt.html - I'd really recommend it given the items you want to carry. It's a really versatile belt.

If you run any races, even 5Ks.... those bib toggles are amazing. At first I refused to wear my bib on them cuz I thought it'd look ridiculous, but it really doesn't. Soooo much better than safety pins!

I don't know where you're located, but if you're in Southern California Fitletic should have a booth at the Disneyland Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon Expo this weekend. That's where I got mine - they let me try it on and put all my gadgets in it before buying it. ;)

Ooooo I like this one! I like how it has the different pockets. I think you're right about it being a good fit due to what I need to carry. You say it can slip around...is it able to fit in a way where it doesnt bounce too much? Given the size and bulk of it, is it distracting to run in?

I do like the SPibelt as well because it appears to be small and light. Only thing is I can see my keys jabbing my cell phone since it only has one pocket.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Tune belt makes a phone waist band similar to the arm bands complete with clear, touchscreen permissive phone holder.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Armband for the phone. My key (car or house depending) gets tied to the draw string of my shorts, never know it's there. Pepper spray I don't carry. I would say if you carry it though you might want to keep that in your hand. Chances are if you need it by the time you realize you need it, it will likely be too late. Run with awareness of your surroundings. If you have a dog, take them with you or borrow a neighbors/friends dog. I run with my Lab mix if it's dark out. I don't run over 6 miles, yet, so I don't carry water or snacks or anything like that.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I will echo the Spi-belt. I like mine, it's compact and things don't jostle around. However, for a big phone you'll really be stretching it. I usually don't carry anything when I'm just running around the neighborhoods though (other than an armband for my phone).