How do I address my wine intake

Options
I started my weight loss/exercise planning to lose 3 stone, last week & lost 41/2 lb in 5 days. but then it was my birthday & had 2 family meals/drink occasions where i indulged in excess wine lager & food , but stayed on track the other days. Im into day 10 now & my total weight loss is now 5lb. I m really good through the week sticking to 1000 calories a day & doing 45 mins aerobics each day . Can anyone give me hints on how to deal with the weekends because there is no way I could not have a drink at weekends :drinker: :devil: should I reduce my daily calorie intake through the week or do more exercise Cheers !

Replies

• bittyers
    bittyers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello. :) I actually had a friend who had this same issue. Definitely one to enjoy her drink (totally not a bad thing!) she chose to save some of her calories for the drinks she knew she'd have during the weekend. She consume enough food to ensure she got the nutrients she needed and for there to be something to soak up, but she also ensured she'd be able to enjoy herself. I don't think she altered her weekly habits, just the weekend. :) Hope that helps even a little! Good luck! :drinker:
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm drinking that night, I always try and get a workout in that morning and I make it a good one! When I'm actually out I try and keep to vodka and diet mixers, or something similar, never touching wine and cocktails (usually!) plus I try and make sure I have something healthy in the fridge for when I get home (e.g. Bit of chicken) to save me indulging on a pizza!
  • jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    why are you only eating 1000 calories? And yes, wine is calories and lots of them. I have found that saving my calories for special events works the best, otherwise a glass or 2 a few times a week adds up rather quickly.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    1000 calories per day and working out that much is gonna fail in the long run, whether you have wine or not.

Maybe figure out your priorities on feeding yourself appropriately first.. then figure out how to work wine into the equation.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Always call it Sir or Ma'am...Wine hates to be addressed impolitely. :laugh: :laugh:
    Sorry...couldn't resist.
    I just drink red wines that satisfy with just a little bit. I cant drink more then a glass or maybe two of a good Merlot. I make sure I alot for the sugars and calories in my plan for the day.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    1000 calories per day and working out that much is gonna fail in the long run, whether you have wine or not.

Maybe figure out your priorities on feeding yourself appropriately first.. then figure out how to work wine into the equation.

And this is good advice!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

And this is good advice!

Yup, at the very least try eating 1200 calories, plus eat back what you burn from exercise.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In order to indulge in I can't even imagine how much alcohol on the weekends, you want to eat fewer than 1,000 calories a day and exercise more than 45 minutes?

Think about that for a minute.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    either increase your exercise the day (s) you want to overindulge to make up for that or plan your wine into your calorie allotment for the day. starving yourself the rest of the week isn't going to help you.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    The drink... Oh the drink. It's been my downfall every time. I don't have a good answer to your question. I've been logging every sip and just trying to stay within my calorie goal. That said, I don't always stay within my calorie goal!

But you're eating a LOT less than me. MFP gave me a 1200 target, but I feel proud if I keep it under 1600.
  • absinthia70
    absinthia70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just budget the wine (or whatever I happen to be drinking) into my calories for the day and make sure to try and eat healthy the rest of the day (and take a multivitamin!)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss/exercise planning to lose 3 stone, last week & lost 41/2 lb in 5 days....

sticking to 1000 calories a day & doing 45 mins aerobics each day

For starters it sounds as if your planning is probably overagressive in terms of what you're trying to achieve. The calorie goal that you're aiming at is quite low and generally not recommended.

Generally for a woman you'd avoid a net calorie intake of less than 1200 cals per day, so accounting for your CV exercise by eating back what you've burned and still consuming around 1200. I would suggest tuning your objectives to no more than 2lbs per week reduction, which would give you about 21 weeks to reach objective weight.

By moderating your rate of weight loss you'll give yourself more calories to play with on a weekly basis. That way you can play with your intake, reducing slightly during the week to leave yourself with some spare calories at the weekend to waste on wine. Waste in the sense of diet, they provide you no nutritional benefit... A bottle of Chard is half your daily allowance, and since you're not eating enough to fuel your training you leave yourself seriously underfueled.

The exercise improves your CV health, and gives you some headroom. My daily calorie goal is 1900, so by running for an hour three to four days per week I give myself 3200 calories per week margin. Running that amount also improves my running performance, so there are several benefits ;)
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Rum has less calories that's what I go with. :smile:

I actually keep my calories low during the week so I can enjoy the weekends. I even throw in a couple fast days (500 calories) if I know it's going to be a particularly difficult weekend of fun. Keep in mind that I don't really exercise much, I only walk 3 days a week so I have to be very diligent with my calorie intake. You on the other hand are far more active, so you have room to eat more than you are currently.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Increase your workout time on those days to give yourself some extra calories, BUT, 1000 calories per day is REALLY low. Recommend you increase your intake a bit anyhow ...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I even throw in a couple fast days (500 calories) if I know it's going to be a particularly difficult weekend of fun.

If I was to try and survive to the weekend on a 500 calorie day I'd be locked up before I made it to the weekend.

I do 400 cals for breakfast never mind the rest of the day.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    In my humble experience - you cannot lose weight and drink. Before when I did this I started to have a few glasses of wine on a Saturday nite - guess what? - I didn't lose any weight in the following week. This time - off the booze and I'm losing - next drink Feb 22 - after that - Easter - after that May!
    I've had no issues. You count it, make it fit, and move on.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Start by listening to this person.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    The drink... Oh the drink. It's been my downfall every time. I don't have a good answer to your question. I've been logging every sip and just trying to stay within my calorie goal. That said, I don't always stay within my calorie goal!

But you're eating a LOT less than me. MFP gave me a 1200 target, but I feel proud if I keep it under 1600.

Pretty much this. The OP said it happened 3 times. I wouldn't
    even sweat it.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I think you should dress it with a bigger glass!
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

This^^, always trust a man with a great beard.