To Fitbit or not to Fitbit...

Options
Hi all,

A friend of mine uses a Fitbit and swears by it. I've never heard about it until now. Anyone out there have any info on it? Were you successful?? Pros? Cons?

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• madisonpw95
    Options
    I got a FitBit Flex for Christmas and I love it! It really encourages me to get moving - one day I walked around my house for no reason except to get the last few steps in so I could reach my goal!

Pros:
    -encourages you to get moving
    -good for those who do a lot of "step" activities: running, walking.
    -allows you to track your food (syncs with MFP pretty easily) and matches that up with how many calories you burned that day to see if your "calories in" vs "calories out" are where you want them to be
    -tracks your sleep, which I love! Also you can set silent alarms: it vibrates when it's time to get up, which surprisingly actually wakes me up!
    -battery lasts for around 5 days
    -waterproof

Cons:
    -not good for those who do a lot of non step activities such as cycling and swimming. You can add in activities manually, but that takes a little work.
    -I doubt it would add any calories burned for weight lifting either

I think it all comes down to whether or not you do step Based exercise or not. I love mine; it really is a successful motivator!

Hope this helps!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm not jumping onto the FitBit bandwagon because I don't think it suits what I need/want. I see the FitBit and other products like it as an expensive pedometer. Which is great if all you're looking for is a pedometer to get you started.

I prefer my HRM so I can see what calories I really burn during workouts (usually running) as well as ensure I'm staying within my target HR.

I personally think it just depends on what your goals are - is it to ensure you reach 10K steps a day? Then the FitBit is for you. If you're really looking for your calorie burn etc. then it may not be the right gadget.
  • losingit512
    losingit512 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been in the same struggle for a while now and I am not 100% sure why I haven't done it yet. I have a HRM and use that only when I am active. I'm not sure if I am just trying to justify new technology or I should really invest. I am training for a half and dancing so I am not sure if my HRM will suffice or not.

I'm interested to see what others think.
  • bermudamel
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex and I do like it. Although if i didn't get it thru a groupon deal/brookstone sale (ended up paying $25 for it!) I wouldn't have purchsed it, just a regular pedometer. I will say though i like to know when i've hit my 10000 steps and seeing it light up to let me know I've reached my goal for the day!
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I started with a Fitbit Flex in May 2013 and then upgraded to the Fitbit Force around November 2013...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE...yes it may be "an expensive pedometer" but it works for me. As far as fitness tools...it was recently rated #1 in Time magazine. Yes, I would like to get a HRM but at this time, it isn't something I really need since my main form of fitness is walking.

I suggest, research, research, research :smile:
  • Mavenly
    Mavenly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Like a previous poster said - it depends on your goal in buying one:

If you want a pedometer/activity tracker to encourage you to make daily changes to your routine that you can use to track and motivate yourself - then a Fitbit is probably a decent option.

If you're a hardcore exerciser wanting something to help with your specific training, then something like a Garmin HRM is probably a better bet.

Personally I use both - I find the Fitbit encourages me to get more daily regular movement in - rather than sitting like a lump at my desk all day. The HRM lets me be much more precise about my actual cardio workouts. I'm also competitive and a gamer - so I find any sort of instrument that lets me get badges/achievements will motivate me - so the Fitbit's smilie faces on their dashboard work great. I will literally run up and down the basement stairs 5 times at night just to get the stupid smilie badge.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm not jumping onto the FitBit bandwagon because I don't think it suits what I need/want. I see the FitBit and other products like it as an expensive pedometer. Which is great if all you're looking for is a pedometer to get you started.

I prefer my HRM so I can see what calories I really burn during workouts (usually running) as well as ensure I'm staying within my target HR.

I personally think it just depends on what your goals are - is it to ensure you reach 10K steps a day? Then the FitBit is for you. If you're really looking for your calorie burn etc. then it may not be the right gadget.

Here is a direct comparison vs a heart rate monitor:

http://angiedeborja.com/for-gadget-lovers-the-fit-bit-versus-polar-heart-rate-monitor-how-do-they-compare

To sum up the FitBit actually does well up against a HRM but non-step activities are an issue. I'm guessing running might be less so.
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    I got my Fitbit Flex used for $45. Worth every penny. Now is it worth $89.99. Eh......not really.

I do like tracking my steps and sleep. Very fun to try and beat your previous step record.

Get it used.
  • Darkbite29
    Darkbite29 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it depends whether you want an HRM or a pedometer/calorie counter. I completed my 10000 steps a day, and beyond, and also did Insanity everyday. It counted an Insanity workout as only burning 350 cals in a 45 mins session. I'm 120 and have 19% BF so I guess it does not help if you're lean. I was happier using it for my step counting. I love it, but don't always get encouragement from it when it comes to Insanity.
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Love it!! I'm as attached to it and the app as I am to my cell phone! Having Fitbit friends on-line to compete with is more motivational that I ever could have imagined!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    If you workout by doing a lot of walking and/or running, then a Fitbit is a fantastic tool to track how far you've gone and how many calories you've burned.

I'm personally a walking/hiking addict, so I love my Fitbit and wouldn't trade it for anything. I like that it tracks my sleep and that I can set the timer to track my workouts, even my non-walking/hiking/running workouts as well.

The thing to keep in mind is that the Fitbit is just a tool. If you think it will help you get up and move more or you have walking/running goals then it's a great tool to see how far you've progressed and to set step goals for yourself.
  • ifaber
    ifaber Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    To me fitbit is more than just a pedometer. Before I had my fitbit I was GROSSLY underestimating how many calories I burn in a day, which is probably a common theme around here. With all of my roamings around all day, I am not sedentary, though that's what I used to have as my setting. Now my setting is at active because I do WAY more than sit on my booty all day long.

It shows you just how much calories you have burned up to that point in the day, it syncs great with MFP, and you can still log your non step based workouts in MFP just like you normally would anyway, just make sure you put the correct start time so your fitbit knows to override its input for that time frame.

I love my fitbit ( Ihave the force) and I think its a great tool to have, especially if you like seeing how you're doing throughout the day. I would say get one if you think you would be even more motivated by seeing your calorie burn, steps taken, stairs climbed, etc.

To each its own, I don't know those who don't care for fitbits or any other tracker devices, but I love mine and for my activities it works perfectly!
  • Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Loved it - til I lost it!
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I bought a Fitbit Force at the beginning of this month. I enjoy it because it lets me know how much/often I'm moving around. Which is good, because I work a 10hr a day desk job, so some days I don't move much (yesterday I took 576 steps in 10 hours - i work from home so I don't have to go far to use the facilities). However, I do use my HRM to track my caloric burn for strenuous activities. I also enjoy seeing how my sleep patterns change depending on my schedule.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit out of curiosity. I had seen people on here talking about them and was curious.

The fitbit is just a fancy pedometer but coupled with the website it makes a nice tool. If you already have a good handle on how much you are or are not moving during the day then you probably won't find it too useful. When I got mine it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I need to get out from behind my desk and move around more. :)
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Love it!! I'm as attached to it and the app as I am to my cell phone! Having Fitbit friends on-line to compete with is more motivational that I ever could have imagined!

^^
    This!
  • kevinrector
    Options
    I got a Polar Loop. Same basic concept as a FitBit (fancy pedometer) but the Loop also pairs with a HRM. I've found that it does motivate me to get and walk throughout the day (I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle). The Loop does not yet synch to MFP, but it may someday.
  • mussig7
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information guys! I really appreciate it! I'm recovering from major knee surgery in hopes of getting back to playing volleyball and being more fit. OVer the course of my rehab I've put on about 25lbs so my main focus is to get rid of this extra weight. It's causing my back to hurt (which is a direct result of my weight gain) and I'm willing to shell out some money if it's something that I find useful.

I'll do some more research. Thanks so much for all your input!
  • capricorn2721
    capricorn2721 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have had a Fitbit ultra since they first came out. It is basically a digital pedometer as someone already mentioned. What I LOVE about it is that it is lightweight and unobtrusive and can be worn on the middle part of your bra or on a pocket. Wherever you like - just not somewhere it will get wet. Other pedometers I have used (their names escape me since it has been years) were bulky and cumbersome. Not only does the Ultra track your steps, it tracks stairs. Every week you will receive a report from Fitbit showing you how many steps you have taken. If I am not mistaken, it will also sync up with MFP and include info from MFP in your report. It is an extremely useful tool for making sure that you get at least some activity throughout the day.
  • JasonBeauvais
    Options
    I've been using the Fitbit Ultra since about November 2012. I love it, and wear it every day. The device had a 1 year warranty though, and the belt clip broke about a week after my one year of having it. So I had to spend another $15 for a new clip.

Other than that, I'm satisfied. I walk a lot, and it is convenient that it automatically syncs with the web tracker rather than me having to write down my daily steps. The "Calories burnt" function is junk though; it'll tell me a burnt absurd amounts just from sitting at my desk. For that reason, I have not linked my Fitbit account with MyFitnessPal; I want this sie to accurately guage my caloric intake and burnt, and that site can track my steps.

If anything were to happen to my current Fitbit, I would replace it with the Flex. The Force shows more data, but the Flex is waterproof.

It's not for everyone; it is essentially a $100 smart pedometer with wireless tracking. If you're willing to spend that kind of money on a pedometer, then I can certainly recommend it!