Healthy Lasagna???

Options
bethany_jurries
bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
Does anyone have a good recipe for a lasagna that is not loaded with fats and carbs? If so please post it! THANKS!

Replies

• catfan
    catfan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I dont have the recipe but a friend of mine said she googled eggplant lasagna and came up with several healthy choices so you might could try that.
  • Jb27
    Jb27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Lasagna
    Ingredients
    1 lb extra lean ground turkey
    1 lb italian sausage
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 fresh tomatos chopped
    2 26 oz jars pasta sauce
    2 egglants, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 8oz bag shredded mozzerella cheese
    1 c parmesan cheese

Directions
    In a large pan brown ground turkey and italian sausage with onion and garlic. Drain all of the grease from pan. Add pasta sauce and tomatos. Bring to a boil. Lower temperature and allow to simmer for 30 minutes uncovered stirring occasionally. Preheat the oven to broil. Meanwhile, wash and peel eggplant. Slice egglant into thin strips length wise and then in 2 inch squares. Place eggplant on a ungreased cookie sheet and allow to broil for 8 minutes (with the oven door slightly cracked) or until eggplant is very tender. Grease a large lasagna pan and preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl combine mozzerella cheese and parmesan cheese. Place a layer of eggplant in the bottom of the pan, top egglant with a layer of meat sauce, top meat sauce with mozzerella and parmesan cheese, top cheese with another layer of egglant and continue layering until all meat sauce has been used. Your top layer should be egglant. Top the last layer of egglant with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until meat is bubbly. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve. Makes approximately 10 1 to 1 1/2 cup servings.

Number of Servings: 10
    Servings Per Recipe: 10
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 155.5
    Total Fat: 8.9 g
    Cholesterol: 44.3 mg
    Sodium: 195.5 mg
    Total Carbs: 6.3 g
    Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
    Protein: 12.5 g
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    2 chicken breast- cooked and chopped (I cooked mine on top of the stove with garlic, Greek seasoning, salt and pepper and only used 1 and it was enough for me)
    1 cup of your fav. marinara or spaghetti sauce ( I used classico- tomato and sweet basil)
    1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
    2 0z of mozzarella cheese
    2 cups of zucchini sliced and sauteed with 1/2 cup chopped onions ( i also used 2 cloves of garlic, oregano and basil) (*drain well important or dish will be runny)

grease small bread pan, and then layer starting with half of zucchini mixture; then 1/2 of the chicken; than cottage cheese; than 1/2 the sauce then; repeat zucchini , chicken and sauce topping with mozzarella cheese. bake for 25-30 min (or less I can't remember) at 350 degrees

Makes 2 servings.
    and had 360 cals per serving
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm Italian so making a healthy lasagna was a must!!!

Noodles:

2 boxes Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles (may not need both depending on baking dish size)

Sauce:

1 can crushed tomatoes
    5 fresh basil leaves chopped
    1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh garlic
    10 sliced baby portabellas
    2 zucchini sliced thinly
    8oz finely chopped grilled chicken
    Salt & Pepper
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (optional)

Cheese Mixture:

1 cup egg beaters (egg substitute)
    2 cups fat free ricotta cheese
    1 cup chopped cooked spinach
    1/4 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese

Cheese Topping:

1 cup fat free mozzarella
    1 cup part skim mozzarella
    1/2 cup reduced fat parmesan

*Spray Pam on baking dish, & assemble lasagna starting with a layer of sauce on the bottom of the dish then, noodles, cheese, sauce, & repeat! I'd say bake at 350 degrees (covered with aluminum foil) for about 30 mins, then bake uncovered for about 10-15min. more to brown the mozzarella cheese topping!

Makes 12+ servings @ 352 cal, 5g fat a portion!

Enjoy!
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone they all look great! :-)
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    bumping to make tonight! :love:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I like my lasagne to have pasta in it.

I always use only 3-4 layers of pasta, make the filling layers thick and have a small portion with some salad.

For fillings - I either do lean mince with loads of grated zucchini and carrot and chopped mushrooms and onion mixed in or I make the layers different - ie bottom layer mashed pumpkin, next layer chopped tomatoes (canned if thats all I have), next layer meat as above or spinach and ricotta.

Then I just use a small amount of bechamel sauce (made with skim milk) on the top layer under some low fat cheese.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas all! :) Aww lilmissy2 a veggie one, terrific, can't wait to try it with all the carrots and zuke and such.:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • mhoward1982
    mhoward1982 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump!! yay for lasagna!
  • Krimicri
    Options
    Eggplant Lasagna
    Ingredients
    1 lb extra lean ground turkey
    1 lb italian sausage
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 fresh tomatos chopped
    2 26 oz jars pasta sauce
    2 egglants, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 8oz bag shredded mozzerella cheese
    1 c parmesan cheese

Directions
    In a large pan brown ground turkey and italian sausage with onion and garlic. Drain all of the grease from pan. Add pasta sauce and tomatos. Bring to a boil. Lower temperature and allow to simmer for 30 minutes uncovered stirring occasionally. Preheat the oven to broil. Meanwhile, wash and peel eggplant. Slice egglant into thin strips length wise and then in 2 inch squares. Place eggplant on a ungreased cookie sheet and allow to broil for 8 minutes (with the oven door slightly cracked) or until eggplant is very tender. Grease a large lasagna pan and preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl combine mozzerella cheese and parmesan cheese. Place a layer of eggplant in the bottom of the pan, top egglant with a layer of meat sauce, top meat sauce with mozzerella and parmesan cheese, top cheese with another layer of egglant and continue layering until all meat sauce has been used. Your top layer should be egglant. Top the last layer of egglant with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until meat is bubbly. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve. Makes approximately 10 1 to 1 1/2 cup servings.

Number of Servings: 10
    Servings Per Recipe: 10
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 155.5
    Total Fat: 8.9 g
    Cholesterol: 44.3 mg
    Sodium: 195.5 mg
    Total Carbs: 6.3 g
    Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
    Protein: 12.5 g

This sounds FABULOUS! I'm going to try it. Thanks for posting.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am brand new to this site....What does 'Bump" mean or stand for? I am seeing it throughout the recipes.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've modified the traditional ricotta filling (because I don't like ricotta).... You need a food processor for this.

1 yellow onion, peeled
    1 can, artichokes (quarters, hearts, etc.)
    3 oz fat free cream cheese
    (optional: add 3 oz feta)
    large handful of spinach
    3 toes garlic
    1 egg white (to bind the glop)

Whirl until smooth and use in place of the ricotta.

I add a ton of veggies to lasagne...
    Sauce, noodles, artichoke mixture, layer of sliced zucchini, layer of sliced tomato, layer of spinach leaves, sprinkle of cheese, sauce....etc.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am brand new to this site....What does 'Bump" mean or stand for? I am seeing it throughout the recipes.

That's a way that you can get this topic back on the top of the screen so it doesn't go away to the next page and it is easier to find. Some people don't have anything to really say, but they want to be able to find the topic more easily later, so they simply say BUMP. :flowerforyou:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a good recipe for a lasagna that is not loaded with fats and carbs? If so please post it! THANKS!

The above recipes sound great!

But what I have done is take a "normal" recipe that has the fat and carbs and modified it. I use things like whole grain pasta (I like the Barilla Plus the best because a lot of others taste grainy and bland to me), shredded cheese made with 2% skim milk, fat free ricotta cheese, 96% lean ground beef, sugar free sauce (I like the brand Colavita the best because it is fat free AND sugar free, and with a dash of your favorite spices, it tastes great), etc.

I have done quite a few fattening recipes like that, and when I checked the nutrition stats on the new vs. old recipes using the recipe function on this website, the recipes I used to think were off limits were found to be low fat, low carb, or whatever I needed them to be. I missed having my salmon with cream sauce cause it was sooo fattening, but last week I decided to slim out the ingredients...and discovered that when I used better-for-you ingredients, the same recipe had literally half the calories and turned out to be low fat. I couldn't believe it, but it's true.

So while I would love to try some of the above suggestions and most likely will cause I love lasagna, I would suggest trying to simply use your own recipe with healthier ingredient substutions and possibly having a smaller portion. It just might work if you find the right brands.
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm Italian so making a healthy lasagna was a must!!!

Noodles:

2 boxes Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles (may not need both depending on baking dish size)

Sauce:

1 can crushed tomatoes
    5 fresh basil leaves chopped
    1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh garlic
    10 sliced baby portabellas
    2 zucchini sliced thinly
    8oz finely chopped grilled chicken
    Salt & Pepper
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (optional)

Cheese Mixture:

1 cup egg beaters (egg substitute)
    2 cups fat free ricotta cheese
    1 cup chopped cooked spinach
    1/4 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese

Cheese Topping:

1 cup fat free mozzarella
    1 cup part skim mozzarella
    1/2 cup reduced fat parmesan

*Spray Pam on baking dish, & assemble lasagna starting with a layer of sauce on the bottom of the dish then, noodles, cheese, sauce, & repeat! I'd say bake at 350 degrees (covered with aluminum foil) for about 30 mins, then bake uncovered for about 10-15min. more to brown the mozzarella cheese topping!

Makes 12+ servings @ 352 cal, 5g fat a portion!

Enjoy!

I know what I'm making for dinner tonight! sounds delicious!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • stephr2014
    stephr2014 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    *Bump*
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump
  • numberscolors
    Options
    eggplant parmesan is an all time favorite of mine.