What are your thoughts about this?

Options

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    "“My hair is softer, less greasy and a prettier color since I stopped using shampoo,” she says."

Looks all friggin' damaged and wrongly bleached to me.....
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I can't go one day without washing my hair, it gets too greasy. I honestly don't understand how she can go 5 years without shampoo and not have greasy hair.
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Lol Pretty sure mine only gets greasier if I don't wash it.... blugh
  • Tryxxie2013
    Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Ugh no...no no no no NO!!! Couldn't do it, wouldn't do it...not quite sure how anyone could live with that. My head would feel completely weighed down by all of the grease.
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    ewwwwww
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I used to only use baking soda and vinegar to wash my hair. Then after I had kids things changed and my hair needed those chemicals! I still do a baking soda rinse and vinegar rinse once a week becuase it does leave my hair less greasy and very shiny. No way I could go with just rinsing my hair in water.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    it's less greasy because the bugs are eating it for sustenance.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    The idea of the "no poo" method is that shampoos use detergents that cause the scalp to produce more oils to compensate for overdrying. Once your scalp gets used to not having to replace oils, it produces less. It apparently works for some people, but not me. I have naturally 3A curly hair and finally found a shampoo/conditioner/product combination that makes my hair look great, I'm not willing to put up with nasty hair for six months while it adjusts and hope it looks as good as it does now.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I go about three days....but I couldn't go longer than that! And in between I use refresh spray. I mean seriously....It is less dry if you use shampoo less. I would never say less greasy...that makes no sense.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Hair gets greasy because we strip the hair of it's natural oils with shampoo and then our scalp over-produces oil. I suspect that at first people's hair would be greasy but then the scalp would stop producing so much oil.

It's called "no-poo" method. A lot of people do it.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I tried the "no poo" method with Baking Soda. Gave it a good shot so my scalp could acclimate. After three months my hair was FRIED!! I don't shampoo everyday, and I use gentle/natural stuff... but just not washing... not for me thanks!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I watched a program where someone did this, I can't remember exactly but after about 3 weeks the hair goes back to looking and feeling like you have washed it...just got to put up with a few weeks of greasey, smelly hair first!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I have not used shampoo or conditioner on my hair in about a year

its pretty awesome
  • grneyedgoddess77
    grneyedgoddess77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I did this for 3 months and my hair was gorgeous. lol Seriously. It took two weeks of crappy hair and then it was definitely better. It smelled great and felt great. I only stopped because of swimming. I HAVE to get chlorine out of my hair asap. Now I use all natural products when I need to and dry shampoo is my best friend!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    <
    Have not used shampoo in over ten years.

• GhoulMango
    GhoulMango Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I only wash once a week and my hair is healthier than ever so I can only imagine how healthy her hair must be! It takes a while to build up to washing less, so you do have to put up with oily hair at first, but slap some baby powder or cocoa powder on it and it helps. No odor, hair doesn't get oily for days, quick showers, save on shampoo. Sounds good to me! I don't see why people freak out about not using shampoo? Yikes. :P
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    uh no. I'm gonna keep washing my hair with cheap shampoo every morning. Thanks.

Although I will say I know some people whose dry, curly hair can go a week easily without looking bad or smelling. My mom is one of those people. I have straight, normal-to-oily hair and after 2 days I'm dying to wash it.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The idea of the "no poo" method is that shampoos use detergents that cause the scalp to produce more oils to compensate for overdrying. Once your scalp gets used to not having to replace oils, it produces less. It apparently works for some people, but not me. I have naturally 3A curly hair and finally found a shampoo/conditioner/product combination that makes my hair look great, I'm not willing to put up with nasty hair for six months while it adjusts and hope it looks as good as it does now.

^ This. I also have 3A or B hair thats down to my belly button when I straighten it. I only wash my hair every 3-4 days and it doesn't get greasy, even when I go to the gym. It just takes too long to dry and style to wash it every day or even every other day.

There was a point in college when I had synthetic extensions and I would go an entire week without actually washing it. Dry shampoo was my best friend at that time.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    puking.gif
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I only wash once a week and my hair is healthier than ever so I can only imagine how healthy her hair must be! It takes a while to build up to washing less, so you do have to put up with oily hair at first, but slap some baby powder or cocoa powder on it and it helps. No odor, hair doesn't get oily for days, quick showers, save on shampoo. Sounds good to me! I don't see why people freak out about not using shampoo? Yikes. :P

Because people are conditioned (ba dum tss!) to think that's it's gross to do otherwise.

I'm almost out of shampoo, I think I'll give it a shot.