ANYONE OVER 60 AND STRUGGLING?

Options
Although I am not generally a big eater and I exercise three times a week, I am really struggling to lose weight, which I put on really easily. I've never been one for burgers and what I call fast processed, ready meals. I occasionally have a drink of wine, or two and the occasional bar of chocolate, or two. I started on Slimfast last week and lost zilch. I do not believe in body going into starvation mode and not losing weight due to not eating enough, or eating the calories I have lost exercising as I and others (experts) have proved this wrong, it's a pure fact fact of calories in and out. I watched the programme about conquering diabetes and losing weight by consuming 800 calories per day and that is what I am aiming to achieve by dieting on Slimfast.

If I am proved to be wrong, I would very much like to hear other over 60's ideas, hints and tips how to get this weight shifted. I lost two stone on the 5:1 diet last year, however, as soon as I went on holiday, I had put it back on.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Replies

• ellenmja
    ellenmja Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    also over 60 and struggling... need help too with motivation.. Want to help each other?
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes please, my name is Carol, shall I add you to my friends list??:drinker:
  • Thelala
    Thelala Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Over 60 and struggling! Add me too!
  • Sharonneaton
    Sharonneaton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is something I have to work hard at every day to stay on track. I understand it for health reasons.:smile: Add me if you like.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'm 64 and over the last 2 years have lost 75 pounds and, so far, maintained for about 9 months within 4 lbs. My main exercise, especially at the beginning, was walking. I began by re-learning what a "normal" portion was for foods, cut back on carbs a bit (since I'm T2 Diabetic) and worked on planning meals and snacks rather than just "grazing" a lot during the day and especially in the evening. It was easier (mentally) than other times when I failed because I relaxed and took it a day at a time, realized I'd have bad days, but was determined it was just going to be a day and not a week...month...year. So please add me if you think I can be of help or you need someone to cheer you on! I still work on eating healthy every day and moving more but it is SO worth it. I feel so much better, lowered my A1c, and now actually like to shop for clothes!
  • Liliansamata
    Liliansamata Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm over 60 and been on MFP for just over 12 months. Initially I struggled, then managed to get my head into gear. I am nearly at my set target, however I have not starved myself, I drink wine, eat chocolate, and sweets. Although I eat and drink. I do not eat fast or processed food. As this is a a long journey, I have to eat its the way I will when I reach my goal weight. I do not believe in depriving myself of life's little goodies. You can add me as a friend if you wish ????
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    61 and struggling but succeeding...

When I started I had 101lbs to lose at the weight that I first weighed in at but to be quite honest...I had lost weight before I would ever get on a scale. I will soon...hopefully this week or next I will see the world of onederland for the first time in years. By the end of the month I hope to be halfway to my goal weight.

Have I struggled at times...yes. However this has also been the most successful I have ever been at weight loss.

We hear that as we age it becomes harder and harder to lose weight. I bought in to that for a long time...I thought this would be an impossible task...it hasn't been.

I have experienced highs and lows...bad days and good days...success and failure. What I haven't experienced is wanting to give up. I don't have time to give up...I am 61...either do it now...or just don't do it at all. If I give up now...I might not be around in order to try it again.

I want to do this while there is still time to do this...

Besides...when it is my time...I want people to say...wow...she was looking good to have been so old! Just kidding...in a way.

Actually what I want to leave behind to those that know me is...no matter where you are in life...you can still set goals and obtain them. You are never to old to change your life.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I forgot...

I have averaged losing about 2lbs per week. I eat everything that I want and do not ban any food. I do however limit more calorie dense foods. I still eat pizza and pasta...cheese and on occasion have something sweet.

I eat the same foods that I ate before I started losing weight and the same foods that I will eat after I have lost all the weight that I want to lose. I just eat different portions of all those foods.

I have also learned to cook differently...making my food healthier and not so calorie dense. I love to cook...I just had to figure out a way to cook my favorite foods healthier and in a way that would fit in to my calorie range.
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well, I'd first recommend that you pick a path that you can follow long-term and getting by on 800 calories of SlimFast a day does not seem like a long-term strategy to me. I'm 63 and I expect like most on MFP have gained and lost the same pounds over and over. Also, I am pretty sure I can find any number of "experts" who will tell me that whatever program I want to follow is going to work (or will fail depending on which side of the program they are arguing) so it seems more to me that whatever program an individual has needs to be one that they can live with. The reading I have done most recently (Taubes "Good calories - bad calories" in particular but also "Primal body-primal mind", and "The art and science of low carbohydrate living") have me trying a LCHF approach. This seems to be working for me and is, in general, a program that I think I can stick with. Mainly I have cut out almost all of the sugar I had been eating (other than a very occasional piece of fruit), grain products and starches. However, I am sure that you can find any number of other books or doctors who will say that a LCHF program is absolutely the worst thing you could do - and for some folks they may be right. On the other hand, the Standard American Diet [SAD] (high carbs, whole grains, low fat) has obviously not done much good for anyone who follows it so I think it is difficult to see the value in a program that is based on the SAD. In a few weeks I'll be having a general blood test of cholesterol, triglycerides, etc done and will know if the LCHF diet is "healthy" or not. I've been losing between 0.5 and 1 pound a week while not feeling deprived. I also have a glass or so of wine almost every evening and once a week or so have a gin or bourbon. Dessert is a single piece of Trader Joe's dark chocolate which is rich enough to satisfy. I expect that if I can get more into a routine exercise habit I'll lose more quickly.
  • jls43
    jls43 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes! 58 YO, 5'4", goal 135, got down to 140, frustrated with plateau, let go of reins and BOOM back to starting wt of 152!

Have spent a lot of time trying to understand the body, metabolism, effect of hormones etc....but still feel stuck. Trying to recover from holidays, watch what I eat, log, limit sugar/carbs, exercise a little harder and more consistently (boy sometimes everything aches!!)

This should work! Need to be patient and keep at it. So tough at this time of life. Like to give and get support.
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible to lose weight only eating 800 calories a day but I am not sure that is the long term solution. I think calorie reduction, with portion control and exercising is a more long term solution. At least this is what worked for me and I never ate below 1200 calories. I eat what I consider 'normal' food, just less of it. Add me if you like.
  • jls43
    jls43 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @GLH2576. I think you are right that 800 cal is too low except in the context if intermittent fasting. There is a real risk of losing muscle.

I also tried the low carb approach but it was not something I could sustain long term. I was enticed by the idea of getting the body into "fat burning mode" but now believe the body can burn fat just fine as long as it is not loaded up with sugar and spiking insulin all day long (which SADly, many of us do). A very enlightening book on carbs and insulin is Diet 101 the author is Jenny Ruhl and she has a lot of info on her website too. One aspect of low carb that I liked is that fat is OK as it is hormone neutral and adds to satiety. However, I think I make a very big error in keeping fat levels too high when I added carbs back in. For me, it was a recipe for gaining fat very quickly.

I did lose weight on a low fat vegan diet - high carb but whole grain or veggies. It was very satisfying (once we go over the gas LOL). The downside was the cooking was a lot of work.

As you point out we each need to find what we can sustaun....still looking here...
  • tjmahoney
    tjmahoney Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    59 y/o here. I'm 6' tall and have been slender most of my life. I dieted once, when I was 30 and my weight went up to 190 from 160 and thought I was 'fat'. Little did I know... I used to work out a lot and actually felt great. But it's true; if you don't use it, you lose it. I traveled a lot for work, eating at restaurants and gaining weight was kind of a joke among the field people; we all expected to gain. Well, sure enough! 3 years ago I saw 250 on the scale and joined MFP as well as getting a personal trainer, doing cardio, etc. and lost 30 lbs. I've always been a runner but the last race I did was about 10 years ago, when I was 48 or 49. My work and the travel responsibilities got in the way (that's my excuse..haha) and in July I saw 260 on the scale. Yikes! I got back on the bus here in July, limited calories to 1500 a day, no alcohol, no carbs after noon and protein at every meal. I kept "plateu-ing" these past few months so I figured my body just figured out just what calories were coming in. I drink about 4L of water a day and have for quite a while. Sometimes just going off the diet for a couple of days worked to get the weight loss back on track. In December, after losing 47 lbs, I just stopped losing. Just stopped. I've been a little more flexible around the holidays as far as what I ate but certainly have NOT gone hog-wild. I'm on the treadmill about 4 times a week, keep my heart rate 50-70% of my target (so 85% of the calorie burn is from fat) but the weight loss has stalled. I've thrown my hands up as far as the cardio and have resumed running, letting my heart rate get up to the 140's, sometimes 150's (although fat burn at that rate is only about 15% from fat).

I won't give up though. I just get frustrated. I understand nutrition, the relationship between insulin rise and inhibiting lipolysis, the macro theory - IIFYM - etc. I've added circuit training twice a week for total body conditioning. My chest, biceps and triceps definition is coming back somewhat but I'd like to lose this last 23 lbs.

I'm on the site everyday; please feel free to add me if you're serious about losing the weight you don't want and optimizing the fitness level that you can. I have some good friends here with whom I have some great mutual motivation and support. As I said, I know frustration. It's visiting me right now but that's today; it can't stop us from achieving the goals we all really want for the rest of the time we're going to be walking on this planet.
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just came across this blog and especially this post within the blog. The Eades' are fairly well-known advocates of high protein - low carb although if you read his post on getting started he suggests a high fat rather than high protein diet as the way to start. Anyway, this particular post is especially good for those who are struggling (and not necessarily just with a diet):

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/weight-loss/meditating-in-the-garden-of-self-loathing/
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am amazed at how many responses I received from my post and I am avidly considering all of your advice, THANK YOU!! I have come to the conclusion that there are so many theories of how to shed the pounds and I suspect the proof of the pudding is in the eating!!. I have taken all your comments on board and am not dismissing anything out of hand. Firstly, I shall finish the tins of Slim-fast I have in my cupboard and if I continue to not be happy with my weight loss, I will try a different tack. Either return to 5:2 theory or high protein low carbohydrate diet.

The last time I had a lot of weight to lose was after I birthed my son, 40 years ago, when I was on 1,000 calories a day and I lost three stone in six months!! I know it is supposed to be more difficult the older you get, so I not expecting a miracle, however, what I would like to see is a steady weight loss after all my efforts.

PLease, please keep in touch to keep me motivated and help to put me on the right track, I'm not adverse to tough love LOL.

Keep up the good work !!:flowerforyou:
  • char316
    char316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am also 60 years old and having a difficult time losing weight. I have tried a number of different diets over the years and agree with those that say you can stay with the diet over the long term. You want to loose weight on a diet you can follow for the rest of your life or your long term success with be a problem. I tried the hard boiled egg and grapefruit diet many years ago and still do not care for either one very much. The same with cabbage soup. This is from one who has lost and gained it back. I have found that regular logging of what you eat is very helpful. I tried the 5:2 diet and was not able to stay on it. I really felt like a failure, which is a problem to overall success. Best of luck and add me as a friend. I would enjoy having a friend my age.