Better Choice for Alcoholic Beverage

Options
Hi all,

I would like to have a drink at happy hour tonight and am wondering if there are lower calorie choices that people like. I typically drink red wine or a Shandy type of beer. I would consider hard liquor, but am not sure what else would be tasty for fewer calories... Who's thirsty? :)

Replies

• jgetzler
    Options
    I like Michelob Ultra. Its only 95 calories and low on carbs. I also like Pinot Grigiot. Its about 100 calories for 5 oz. Have fun!
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Vodka Martini Dirty. Or Vodka club soda, and a splash of cran for flavor if you need it.
  • kreene1987
    kreene1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bring some powder mix (crystal lite) in your purse and mix it in a vodka water. Low calorie and delicious!
  • lyricsmamma6469
    lyricsmamma6469 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My friends and I tend to drink vodka w/water and half a crystal light packet when we drink. - - ha ha must've been typing this the same time as the other one!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    getdrunknotfat.com

tequila shots!
  • absinthia70
    absinthia70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Vodka Martini Dirty. Or Vodka club soda, and a splash of cran for flavor if you need it.

This. Or a vodka/diet coke - but the dirty martini is WAY better :)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    patron with soda water and limes (not lime juice!)
  • roseee311
    Options
    Great suggestions! I have been thinking about how to do something with a splash of club soda or something that I will sip slower.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like rum & diet coke, diet sprite/ or diet 7-up with vodka, but a lot of restaurants are having skinny cocktails on their menus, so I've been having those when available alot of them are pretty good and about 165 calories.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    club soda with lime/lemon/cherries
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I drink vodka soda's with lemon and lime muddled in it. Low cal and tasty....like an adult sprite
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Nor-cal margarita.

White tequila, club soda, fresh lime juice.
  • roseee311
    Options
    Is the patron option similar to a margarita flavor? Probably not as sweet...
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Here is a good chart showing how many calories are in what types of hard alcohol.
    I like straight tequila with a few limes squeezed in and maybe a splash of cranberry juice for flavor.

http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/collegestudents/calculator/alcoholcalc.aspx
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Typically, it's the mixers that add the calories (sugar), not the alcohol. So you might be better off drinking a pint of beer rather than a pint of shandy (beer + lemonade). [Or maybe it's just the thought of adding lemonade to perfectly good beer that makes me wince ;-) ]

Straight liquor is going to have the fewest calories per unit of alcohol. Then wine, then beer, [edited for correctness 'cos I got it wrong]. Mixed drinks like a margarita will have the most.

Alternatively, just drink what you like - then log it and make it work!
  • AngieWion
    AngieWion Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started drinking Vodka with sparkling flavor water or even vodka with water and lemon or use Mio (you can squeeze in as much flavor you want.
  • caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Flavored vodka with club soda. When I am at home I like bubble flavored vodka and diet sprite.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I drink vodka water w/ a lemon & lime
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Bring some powder mix (crystal lite) in your purse and mix it in a vodka water. Low calorie and delicious!

LOL!! I used to do that all the time! It's so good.

My new thing right now is Grey Goose on the rocks with 2 lemon wedges and 2 Splenda packets. I ask the bartender to shake it a little after I've added the lemon juice and sweetener. Tastes like a lemon drop martini :) 2 of them are 120 calories and like 3 carbs each.