WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T.....

Options
...have a Dr. appointment during your "starting phase".....oh my god! someone kill me now...now I have 30lbs to lose! :cry: :sad: Why can't all scales say the same thing! :mad:

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Just go by one scale. Or don't go by any scale.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Lol this reminds me of when I was pregnant and was weighed at my hospital appointment, the number was far too high, not like my scale at home. So I told them in all seriousness that there was something wrong with it....they checked it and lo and behold it was fine lmao!!!

I felt like such a fool!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Agree with my friends above. It's not the end of the world. Get a plan you can live with, then stick to it. You'll accomplish your goals.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    At least you know now, AND have a reliable scale to go with.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel you need to use the Dr's scale as the "all knowing" scale? There are too many variables between the one you use at home and the one at the drs office. Did you weigh in the morning and perhaps with no clothes on at home and then weigh with clothes on later in the day after eating and drinking all day? Then of course the drs scale is going to be higher. The important thing is to pick a scale to weigh with consistently and use that number. I am assuming you are not going to go to the dr weekly or monthly, so I would personally ignore the drs number and use the one from home. Just my two cents worth. Don't let the different scale numbers get you down. Be consistent with what you eat, how much you eat and how much you exercise and the scale numbers will change.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Lol this reminds me of when I was pregnant and was weighed at my hospital appointment, the number was far too high, not like my scale at home. So I told them in all seriousness that there was something wrong with it....they checked it and lo and behold it was fine lmao!!!

I felt like such a fool!

I tell a similar story that when I was preggo with my 2nd, I got on the scale and the nurse ticked the little weight all the way over and then looked at me, I just shook my head in horror at her as she CLUNKED the big weight over another 50....ugh!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh under different conditions at the doctor as you do at home? Were you wearing extra clothes, shoes, keys in your pocket, etc while on the doctor's scale? Were you there later in the day after eating or drinking? If the answer to any of those is yes then I'd just write it off and stick to the weight on your home scale.
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    Yeah, I weigh myself in my underwear first thing in the morning (after I pee). The doctor's scale is probably slightly more accurate than mine, but mine is consistent and no matter if I am 5 pounds heaver or lighter than I think I am, all that really matters is that I am consistently losing. I'd take the doctor's scale with a grain of salt since you're wearing more clothes, possibly shoes, and most likely weighing in the middle of the day. :)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel you need to use the Dr's scale as the "all knowing" scale? There are too many variables between the one you use at home and the one at the drs office. Did you weigh in the morning and perhaps with no clothes on at home and then weigh with clothes on later in the day after eating and drinking all day? Then of course the drs scale is going to be higher. The important thing is to pick a scale to weigh with consistently and use that number. I am assuming you are not going to go to the dr weekly or monthly, so I would personally ignore the drs number and use the one from home. Just my two cents worth. Don't let the different scale numbers get you down. Be consistent with what you eat, how much you eat and how much you exercise and the scale numbers will change.

Yep, pretty much this.

Plus, I think that as you get closer to goal, it's less and less important to pay attention to the number on the scale. I mean, the scale is an EXCELLENT tool to gauge progress and make sure you're staying on track in the beginning and middle of this process. But when you get down to your goal, does it REALLY matter if you weigh 135 or 138 or 132 (or whatever)? Nope. What matters is that you look and feel the way you want to look and feel and (if this is on your radar) you're able to meet your training goals. Plus, your weight is going to fluctuate by up to 3-5 pounds on a daily basis for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the amount of fat or muscle you have, so it's senseless to focus on an exact number, by any scale.
  • brad2021hk
    Options
    After my daughter was born, I decided to increase my life insurance. I guess I'm lucky I didn't die the year before...obviously. I really should have done it sooner. If something had happened during the pregnancy or first three months of her life, that would have been really catastrophic and irresponsible of me.

The life insurance company my employer uses had a questionnaire, blood work, and a basic physical. I actually wasn't worried about the blood work or most of the physical. I'm still in that short term healthy fat range where all the numbers look fine except BF % and weight. I was really worried about the weigh in portion. I definitely wanted to get this life insurance and dreaded shopping around. They sent a nurse out to my house to collect the samples, get the BP and heart rate, and do weight and height. I'll be damn if her scale wasn't 20 pounds off. I was about 245 that morning, naked, empty, before breakfast on my own scale. On her scale, I was 225 fully dressed and with a large glass of water in my belly. I guess it can go both ways.
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I started dieting again yesterday and I know my scale is off. My goal weight is based off my scale so I'm scared to go weigh myself on a scale that actually works lol.
  • brad2021hk
    Options
    I started dieting again yesterday and I know my scale is off. My goal weight is based off my scale so I'm scared to go weigh myself on a scale that actually works lol.

I think it would be one thing if you started a while ago and had weeks or months of weigh-ins with an inaccurate scale. If you started yesterday, why not just get a proper tool? That way, you don't have to worry about being scared of seeing the an accurate reading somewhere else. MFP lets you edit your initial weight and your weight goal.
  • befitnow3
    befitnow3 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Yep, pretty much this.

Plus, I think that as you get closer to goal, it's less and less important to pay attention to the number on the scale. I mean, the scale is an EXCELLENT tool to gauge progress and make sure you're staying on track in the beginning and middle of this process. But when you get down to your goal, does it REALLY matter if you weigh 135 or 138 or 132 (or whatever)? Nope. What matters is that you look and feel the way you want to look and feel and (if this is on your radar) you're able to meet your training goals. Plus, your weight is going to fluctuate by up to 3-5 pounds on a daily basis for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the amount of fat or muscle you have, so it's senseless to focus on an exact number, by any scale.
    Yup. This too.
    If you use the scale at home consistently you'll know if the number changes either way. Don't be stuck on the number itself. As long as you feel the change it's all good!!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My GP scales have me a couple of kg lighter than the one at the gym (which reminds me of that bit in Dodgeball). At least I'm lighter around the person who will hector me about my weight :tongue:

Even if your scales are wrong, you'll still see the progress all the same.
  • blessman
    blessman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm in a fun workout group on Facebook. Everyone is so positive and supportive. We would love to have you join us! Send me a Facebook friend request if you're interested! (My FB link is Facebook.com/brad.lessman.1).
  • nashvillenellie
    nashvillenellie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was happy to find out yesterday at my Dr appt that my digital scales were off. I weighed less there than I did at home.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ...have a Dr. appointment during your "starting phase".....oh my god! someone kill me now...now I have 30lbs to lose! :cry: :sad: Why can't all scales say the same thing! :mad:
    It's going to be okay. You can do it! :smile: