Sams vs. Costco

Options

Replies

• ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    We currently have a SAMs membership, only because I got it for free on LivingSocial. We've bought some items there, but not a whole lot. My ILs have a Costco membership (& Gave us one for Christmas that we are going to activate once our SAMs one ends). I prefer Costco due to the cheap gas prices and the availability of healthy and organic choices, which SAMs doesn't carry as much of.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    My best friend has a membership to Costco. It's pretty decent. I, on the other hand, have a membership to BJ's. I tend to like it, however, when you do the unit price vs. what I can get individually, sometimes it's far greater than if I go to a small place to get it. For instance, the Whey protein I get at Walmart, though 18 bucks for a 2 lb bottle, I can get a 5 lb bag for $32 at BJ's. So, I'm saving almost 2 bucks in the long run. Whereas, it's going to take me $2.00 in gas to go there to buy it. But things like my Brita filters - mega cheaper to buy in bulk. And BJ's takes coupons!! So double score.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I like Costco better because1) they treat their employees well 2) are not a WalMart company and 3) their food is better.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I like Costco better because1) they treat their employees well 2) are not a WalMart company and 3) their food is better.

This.

Costco steak mui bueno!
    And many locations have grass-fed!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    We've been members at both. We prefer Costco. Helpful friendly staff. Love the Kirkland brand stuff. We purchased rotted hamburger surrounded by fresh meat at Sam's. The second time it happened, we moved to Costco.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I have to add that the Kirkland brand vodka is fabulous (rumored to be repackaged Grey Goose) and their wine isn't too shabby either.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm a WalMart shopper but the only reason I go to Sam's over Costco is distance. I have 2 Sam's about 10 mi of me but the nearest Costco is 20-25 mi easily! If they were the same distance, I'd consider switching even though I'm happy with the product selection/quality. Also, my preferred Sam's had several self checkout lines with wireless price guns. Even when I buy a huge cart or two of stuff, I can checkout much faster than waiting in line.

ETA: I used to shop at BJ's years ago because:
    1) They were the closest warehouse to my job at the time
    2) They accepted manufacturer's coupons (neither Sam's nor Costco do)
    3) They created a lot of their own coupons and had the flyers as you walked it.
    4) They had more items that were sold as "a lot" of standard-sized items rather than 1 huge items (e.g. 10 regular cans of tuna rather than one ginormous can). That method is a lot friendlier for smaller households.
    5) They were the first warehouse store in my area to have self checkouts. Had it years before any Sam's did and I still haven't seen them in Costco.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have seen Costco when traveling but have never shopped there. We don't have it in my immediate area so it's off my radar.

As for me personally I would NOT consider Sam's Club if it was a 45 min drive from my home. It is 5 min from my home and I still do not have a membership.

I'm childfree by choice (married no kids) and my husband and I have ZERO need for anything from Sam's Club. I got a membership in the past to get a set of inexpensive tires there (which my automotive-inclined husband says are CRAPPY). Walked around the store 3-4 times and all I saw that suited my tastes was a 3-pack of Laughing Cow wedges and some cheap bananas.

Sam's kind of makes me sad in a way. All of the people rushing around and having like 4 choices on giant bottles of shampoo acting as though this is going to save them so much money and be such a boon to their budget. Um no.

My dad on the other hand (also in a couple household w/o children) loves Sam's. He has a business membership and enjoys going in the early hours before others are allowed in. I think that's the biggest part of the attraction for him ;-)

Also...I detest Walmart and therefore not inclined to go back to Sam's. I had an interview there 2 years ago for a part-time cashier position during the holiday season and their wage was crazy-low and expectations were insane. Like sell x number of memberships every shift - as a regular cashier - so probably most people coming through your line would already be members, right? Ugh. I literally laughed when they told me the wage and I knew that part-time temporary retail wasn't going to pay big bucks. Unimpressive.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    We have to drive 45 minutes to our Costco. We go once a month. We buy meat and dog food and paper products (TP, Paper Towel, Ziploc bags). We also get laundry and dish soap there. Sometimes I'll get a book or a video game. We also buy our movie passes there. (2 tickets, 2 drinks and a popcorn for $24)

To us, the $50 a year membership pays for itself in dog food alone. We save about $780 a year on dog food and so much more on meat.

I would never buy vegetables there because they are often old or half frozen.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I love Costco! But I have to be careful - it's easy to just pop-in for some steaks* and come out having spent $400 on stuff you didn't know you needed!

We call it the $100 Costco Cover Charge. lol.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

That sucks. The ones around us have some of the best fresh fruits and veggies. especially the berry selections. We have a local Sprouts we do most our F&V shopping at, but I still buy quite a bit from Costco too.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If Costco were closer to me, then I would totally be their. They have great employee policies, they are a great corporation, and the CEO makes a normal wage instead of a crazy amount of money.

They both are great though for bulk buying. If you have the freezer space, it is worth it. Whole chicken is $0.98/lb but you have to buy 2 chickens at once. Chicken, pork, beef, really all meats, even lunch meats are cheaper by the lb but you have to buy a lot more of it than a regular store. So if you can divide and freeze it is AWESOME! TP is a lot cheaper that way too. You do have to be careful though because you won't find a great deal on some types of items.

My husband and I payed $45 for the year membership and we calculated how much we saved by buying just meat alone at Sam's and by the second visit it had already paid for itself.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    We have to drive 45 minutes to our Costco. We go once a month. We buy meat and dog food and paper products (TP, Paper Towel, Ziploc bags). We also get laundry and dish soap there. Sometimes I'll get a book or a video game. We also buy our movie passes there. (2 tickets, 2 drinks and a popcorn for $24)

To us, the $50 a year membership pays for itself in dog food alone. We save about $780 a year on dog food and so much more on meat.

Wow, that's really too bad. Our Costco has the best produce out of just about any store in my area!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have and use both but I prefer Costco. I will use whichever is closer when it comes to getting gas. In my opinion Costco has a better warranty and return policy. Your membership is your warranty. I also agree with the comment about added value at Costco. When price shopping I have notice the same product at both stores for the same price but I notice with Costo the item size might be just a little bigger. I bought my last cell phone at Sam's club and I did prefer their warranty over Costo for that but both store warranties far exceeded buying it at cell phone provider. I also am single with four fur kids and I find myself at Costco about once a week. I have storage so buying bulk cleaning supplies, paper towels, etc., is more convenient for me then putting these on my grocery store run. I also buy my meats, fruits and veggies there and of course alcohol. And I find coconut oil, flax, chia, vitamins, and other supps a lot cheaper there then regular stors. I also get my pet products there and use their pharmacy for my dogs at a considerable price difference then picking up at the vet. Obviously, I love Costo. Lol.
  • Gingerbearman
    Options
    Sam's and Costco are mostly the same - price wise and selection wise. Some items Sam's has and some items Costco has... They'er both about the same on value and products...

Some will tell you that Sam's Club is bad because it's part of the Walmart group and, therefore, must be just as evil as Walmart. Of course, Walmart is not really any worse than just about every other major national retailer out there... Trust me, I know. I've worked for over 20 years in the retail world - from store level to corporate level positions.

Biggest complaints about Walmart are always about benefits, pay rates and working hours/conditions... I got news for the WM haters out there... There are very few retailers that pay more than minimum wage and even fewer that offer benefits to part-time employees... and fewer yet that have "all full-time" staffs.

As for our original question - find out which offers a better value for YOU. Both are highly competitive on prices, even if they're different brands... Find the best match for you.

Me? I have both. We've been a member of Costco since 1986 and a member of Sam's since the mid-90s. There are better bargains in different departments at both stores... Sam's seems to have better records on purchases (when it comes time for returns) but....
  • Gingerbearman
    Options

Actually, Sam's treats their employees more like Costco employees... Why? Because they're part of the same union. At least by me.

I'm tired of everybody saying "Walmart is bad" and"Walmart is evil"... Trust me... nearly EVERY large scale national retailer is going to be just as "bad" or as "evil" as Walmart... I would say that at least 80% of the retailers out there pay minimum wage and do not offer benefits to part-time employees... I worked for one of 'em, and they were a "higher end" and much smaller scale than WM...
  • VegasFit
    Options
    I have to add that the Kirkland brand vodka is fabulous (rumored to be repackaged Grey Goose) and their wine isn't too shabby either.

Agreed! They had a vendor for it one day and she said they basically come out of the same facility, just different doors!
  • VegasFit
    Options
    5) They were the first warehouse store in my area to have self checkouts. Had it years before any Sam's did and I still haven't seen them in Costco.

There is a Costco here that has self checkout and I love it. It's perfect for someone like me who sometimes just has a couple of items.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I love our Costco! To echo the Wolfman- Costco give you a rebate every year for 2% (I may have to get the Amex since we have an exec membership and would like 10% too).

My household is just my husband and I so we don't load up on ketchup and such, but we get great deals on meat and produce. Also, we buy a lot of the ready to go meals. Best tatziki too.

I will warn- the food court has footlong hotdogs and a drink for $1.50- hard to pass up.

don't quote me on the 10%...I think it's something like that, but my wife handles all that business and she told me we should be getting back around $1,500...maybe I should take a closer look at that...I wonder if we're getting more and she's all, "yeah...just $1,500 this year sweetie...."
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at BJs

*feels left out* :sad: