Healthy Snacks.... for MEN.

Options
What are healthy, MAN APPROVED snacks that are healthy. My husband is slowly making a transition into becoming a healthier person. I try to buy healthy options for him to take with him for lunch, but he doesn't really eat them. Anyone got any tips on snacks that men would love???

Oh, he doesn't have access to a microwave. He has a lunch pail that he takes with him and uses frozen ice packs, but no fridge.

Replies

• GBPackerFan14
    GBPackerFan14 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Lean deli meats (Turkey, Ham, etc.)
    Nuts
    Beef Jerky
    Trail Mix

I'm guessing he doesn't like a lot of veggies or fruits and those options are better than chips or something.
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    For me my snacks are now usually bananas, pistachios, peanuts, cutie/mandarin oranges, homemade corn tortilla chips, and dried papaya.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious, what would make a snack "girly?"
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What are the things you buy that he doesn't like?

I'm not really sure if I can distinguish what foods are girly or manly?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Canned salmon.
    Steak.
    Beef jerkey.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    They're a bit pricy, but I'm a fan of Nick's sticks (grass-fed beef sticks, 120 calories and 10g of protein per package).
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious, what would make a snack "girly?"

I don't really mean girly, more like dainty. Like I can eat a rice cake with peanut butter and be fine. I've noticed he wants something a little more hearty. He works 12 hour shifts so I need LOTS of options for him or he gets tired of it and goes to a drive thru.

We eat things like string cheese, snap peas and trail mix and some fruits and veggies, but he's kinda burnt out on that and looking for something thats a little different I guess.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Nuts & meat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Would he not be better off with a mini meal? Whatever he'd have for lunch or dinner...just smaller?
    Or, just have him eat less meals but bigger meals?

I'd definitely include protein and fat in everything he eats to stop him getting hungry in a few minutes. This should stop the need to even consider buying more food.
  • TLC7613
    Options
    Would he not be better off with a mini meal? Whatever he'd have for lunch or dinner...just smaller?
    Or, just have him eat less meals but bigger meals?

I'd definitely include protein and fat in everything he eats to stop him getting hungry in a few minutes. This should stop the need to even consider buying more food.

I make him 2 different kinds of sandwiches, usually turkey and then an egg salad one (which is his favorite) and include some kind of crunch, like almonds or wheat things etc and some kind of fruit, like a banana or cutie. He eats his lunch/dinner before he goes to work and then takes a "lunch" to eat. It's a bit hectic. He works 6:30pm to 6:30 am. Not to bad mouth my husband lol but he's not very creative about making his lunch, so I usually portion thing out for him for quick grab, like cut up carrots and crackers in snack bags and leave a list of stuff I have available for him to grab (why he can't just look in the fridge and see what we have to take is beyond me).
  • TLC7613
    Options
    I'm thinking salami with baby bell cheese, but that doesn't sound to healthy does it?? But then again it's better then a Big Mac.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Chicken drumsticks? HB eggs? A fat based dip to stick his vegies in?
    You could cook/make these in bulk for the week and have them handy in the fridge for him to grab...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Although female, my taste runs towards manly meaty food. For virtuous snacks I like

beef jerky
    boiled eggs
    crab sticks
    raw veg dipped in hummous
    turkey salami microwaved to a crisp (wrap in paper towels--it reminds me of bacon)
    no fat yoghurt sweetened with a little maple syrup
    smoked chicken breast sliced thin and served on salad
    unshelled edamame
    greek salad (tomato, cucumber, feta, olives, vinaigrette)
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there were foods that were gender related. I have no idea what man food is and female food is. Food is food.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    my other half likes jerkey, nature valley chewy bars, sometimes apples with pb. pb jelly could be a decent snack depending what bread and jelly you use. he also likes popcorn and puffed rice snacks like pirates booty
  • walterclark1221
    walterclark1221 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    lol...I was thinking the same thing
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Why don't you ask him what he likes? There's really no way around it.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking salami with baby bell cheese, but that doesn't sound to healthy does it?? But then again it's better then a Big Mac.

How is that unhealthy??
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I don't think that is a bad snack at all. It's ultimately about the deficit and not the specific food one eats.
  • TLC7613
    Options
    In my experience, a woman who is being health conscious typically makes different snack choices as opposed to a 350lb man. Ya it's usually different type of things. Some carrot sticks and granola doesn't really cut it lol

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I've definitely found some great options I think he'll really like.