Heavy fatigued calf muscles

Options
Hi, I have just started a box fit class and 10 mins into the session my calf muscles tighten and cramp up. I am doing some good warm up stretches. What can I do to prevent it?

Thanks, Karen

Replies

• FattyFeast
    Options
    Stretch them as you go along? Also, try holding your warm-up stretches for longer. At least 30 slooow seconds, it makes a surprisingly big difference. A great way to maximally stretch your calves is to stand on the edge of a step or pavement and then you can actually dorsiflex the foot to get an even bigger stretch if you're not doing that already.

With my calves I can send them into crampy spasm if keep them tensed for too long or try tensing them when they're fresh - occasionally I tense my calf on a day when I've not been running and look like some crazy fool when they suddenly cramp and I jump out of my chair. Who appears to injure themselves just sitting down? :P
    Anyway if I run or walk around regularly I find they hardly ever do this, so maybe just try tiring them out a bit before doing this class. Also making sure you relax them a bit and definitely tread right down into your heel without too much stuff where you're constantly on tip-toes as otherwise they're always contracted.
  • mssag
    mssag Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hydration. I get crampy (and have less energy) if I haven't had enough water, not just during working out, but throughout the day so I'm in a hydrated state when I work out.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just keep going and do what you can in the class. It will get better as you get used to the class. You don't need to do anything special- more box fit is the solution.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Adequate hydration and supplementing magnesium can possibly help however the machanisms of cramping aren't fully understood. Sometimes it seems to just be the case that it'll happen when muscles are fatigued particularly when you do a new activity. Stretching and foam rolling may help but you might also just have to let your muscles get used to the activity.
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This sounds weird, but drink PediaLyte. It replenishes vitamins and minerals without the sugars and artificial colors that you'll find in sports drinks.