Healthy Snacks.... for MEN.

Options

Replies

• Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    What are healthy, MAN APPROVED snacks that are healthy. ... Anyone got any tips on snacks that men would love???

Sasha Grey.

That's disrespectful.

I was going for light-hearted, but hey, ymmv. Also, nothing but respect from me for Sasha Grey. She's fantastic (and in my house, woman and man approved). ;)
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Food is not gender specific, OP, regardless of what you want to think. I know some men who love their rice cakes and some women who love their beef jerky. If we genderize something as ridiculous as food, we just really add extra potentially harmful labels into an area (weight loss and health) that already has tons of extra labels and bs surrounding it.

If he won't figure out what he wants and articulate, perhaps he should go to the store with you and select more options.

No ****in **** food isn't gender specific, your smart *kitten* remarks aren't helpful. I already reworded my question for those who were still hung up "manly" and "girly" foods.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking salami with baby bell cheese, but that doesn't sound to healthy does it?? But then again it's better then a Big Mac.

I don't think that is a bad snack at all. It's ultimately about the deficit and not the specific food one eats.

He doesn't do a deficit.He used to be in shape and go to the gym a lot but now with school, working 60 hours a week and starting his own business, going to the gym or working out isn't on his list of priorities (even though it should be) so I try and make sure his lunch/snacks are healthy at the least.

Oh OK! Thanks for clarifying!!
  • TLC7613
    Options
    My previous clarification
    I don't really mean girly, more like dainty. Like I can eat a rice cake with peanut butter and be fine. I've noticed he wants something a little more hearty.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Food is not gender specific, OP, regardless of what you want to think. I know some men who love their rice cakes and some women who love their beef jerky. If we genderize something as ridiculous as food, we just really add extra potentially harmful labels into an area (weight loss and health) that already has tons of extra labels and bs surrounding it.

If he won't figure out what he wants and articulate, perhaps he should go to the store with you and select more options.

No ****in **** food isn't gender specific, your smart *kitten* remarks aren't helpful. I already reworded my question for those who were still hung up "manly" and "girly" foods.

that-escalated-quickly-anchorman-gif.gif
  • jonmscharff
    jonmscharff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A good snack to try if you are stuck on time and just plain lazy is celery sticks mixed in almond butter. Dip it and eat it!

As an aside, still on topic somewhat, if any of your goals are to lose weight you should stop snacking. The reason is that eating less meals (eating 3 only) INCREASES metabolism, makes losing weight easier and you feel fuller. Not only that but the obvious fact that it's just easier to manage your time. You don't have any metabolic increase and in fact you'll be able to control your glucose levels better!

If anyone's interested in the claims I've made check it out here: http://paindoesnthurt.com/stop-snacking/

Ahhh...I am always glad when MFP members use links to support their conclusions, BUT you do realize that this is just a guy who claims to be into fitness and is NOT a medical professional! I am pretty sure they don't swear in medical journals anyway...and I read a lot of them at our medical practice.

As far as the OP's question goes...why don't you just ask your husband what he would like? If he isn't as food creative as you...then just try some things out in his lunch box and see what gets eaten. Also as far as beef jerky goes you might want to check out the sodium levels before choosing that one. Good luck!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options

My first comment was light-hearted. This comment was serious and not at all sarcastic or smart *kitten*. Just because you don't like the message, doesn't make it wrong.

Again - if he can't articulate it, then it's really still up to him. I appreciate you want to support him, and that's admirable, that's what we do as friends and loved ones. Garnering ideas isn't bad, but it also may not solve the actual problem, but him going to the store with you to look may. In my house, I tend to go to the store, but if my husband wants something but isn't sure 'what' because he just has a vague feeling, he goes with me and meanders about until he finds items to try to help him toward his goals. So that was a real, non-sarcastic, meant-to-be helpful comment.

But do please continue to be bent out of shape by humour and real comments.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    What are healthy, MAN APPROVED snacks that are healthy. ... Anyone got any tips on snacks that men would love???

Sasha Grey.

That's disrespectful.

I was going for light-hearted, but hey, ymmv. Also, nothing but respect from me for Sasha Grey. She's fantastic (and in my house, woman and man approved). ;)

I laughed :laugh:
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

My first comment was light-hearted. This comment was serious and not at all sarcastic or smart *kitten*. Just because you don't like the message, doesn't make it wrong.

Again - if he can't articulate it, then it's really still up to him. I appreciate you want to support him, and that's admirable, that's what we do as friends and loved ones. Garnering ideas isn't bad, but it also may not solve the actual problem, but him going to the store with you to look may. In my house, I tend to go to the store, but if my husband wants something but isn't sure 'what' because he just has a vague feeling, he goes with me and meanders about until he finds items to try to help him toward his goals. So that was a real, non-sarcastic, meant-to-be helpful comment.

Jesus H. Christ tap dancing on a cracker. 1YrmfFu.gif
    I do not get people. Ask HIM a grown man what he wants.
  • strunch
    strunch Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like fig newtons for my snack.
  • donny612
    donny612 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As a snack, I really love low fat Triscuits and Jif Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter. Maybe 5 or 6 crackers with a nice gob of peanut butter, chased with Lipton Diet Green Tea. But then I really LOVE peanut butter and the good part is that you don't need a microwave or refrigeration. I keep it in my workstation drawer. I find that this snack sticks with you longer.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious, what would make a snack "girly?"

Fruits and vegetables longer than 4 inches.
  • strongestgirl10
    strongestgirl10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What are healthy, MAN APPROVED snacks that are healthy. Anyone got any tips on snacks that men would love???
    Whats that thing we used to eat all the time back in the day? Oh yeah ......
  • MorgueBabe
    Options

Fruits and vegetables longer than 4 inches.
    I'm pretty sure things shorter than 4 inches are girly.
  • TLC7613
    Options

I never labeled food as being girly or manly in my Op, so yes, your comment was snarky. All I asked for was "Man approved" snacks in the hopes that men would comment types of snacks that they eat that can fill them up.
  • Npettersen
    Options
    Similar story here, my guy is 6'1" and 270 lbs. works long hours and if I don't have ready to grab stuff available then he will eat whatever and I am trying to get him to be healthier WITH me. So here goes.

Pulled pork plus dab of bbq and veggies in a whole grain wrap or pita (I slow cook a lean cut)

Lots of protein like chicken salad or egg salad ( no or low fat mayo) on a bed of baby spinach. This way with lots of protein he doesn't feel like he is eating a "salad".

No nitrate deli turkey meat shaved with a slice of bacon plus sandwich veggies on sunflower bread, Yes! One slice is all my sweetie needs to think he is "indulging".

Cooked brown rice pasta with chicken breast, tomato, diced onion, olives, sometimes a few thin chunks of salami just to add flavor all tossed lightly in a low fat Italian dressing. Tastes awesome cold.

I don't want the post to get crazy huge but friend me if you want some snack ideas too! Good luck on the Manly Quest!!!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

Jamie Lee Curtis in the commercial...
    tumblr_mn7t4xCD8j1qc0jomo1_400.jpg
  • TLC7613
    Options
    I didn't know there were foods that were gender related. I have no idea what man food is and female food is. Food is food.

I never specified food as being gender related, simply looking for snacks that a man would prefer to eat. I was hoping to hear from other men who might have a favorite type of snack they like to eat.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options
    I didn't know there were foods that were gender related. I have no idea what man food is and female food is. Food is food.

I never specified food as being gender related, simply looking for snacks that a man would prefer to eat. I was hoping to hear from other men who might have a favorite type of snack they like to eat.
    You do realize you make no sense. My point is foods are not gender specific. Gender and taste are both subjective. Just because one man likes something doesn't mean another man does. Just ask the man you're trying to find a snack for.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Protein bars work for me. Many of them taste like candy bars, except at least I'm getting a protein boost out of them. I also like jerky, but the sodium tends to be high.
    Popcorn? By itself, the calories are low enough that I can eat a LOT of it without feeling like I went overboard.