How to Run without triggering overeating

Options
Hey, just looking to see if anyone has had similar experiences and has some tips.

I have run a lot in the past and I usually enjoy it. At a certain point, it becomes a penalty for overeating which triggers more overeating. And then I ultimately gain weight.

Especially when I get bored with running and feel like I just have to do it because I should, I tend to quit running or overeat.

Any ideas on developing a healthy relationship with running?

Replies

• LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have the same relationship with swimming. I think that recognizing that the problem exists and make a conscious effort to eat to fuel, not for fun.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's not your relationship with running that's the problem, it's your relationship with food.

Stop over-eating, and the "exercise as punishment" goes away with it.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Distance running and calorie burns is just math.

Eat more than you burn and you'll gain. You can't use your running as a license to eat.

I've gained while running 50+ miles per week. It's easy, all you have to do is eat 60 miles worth of food...
  • miladymarathoner
    miladymarathoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    arc 918, that's totally funny AND true: just eat 60 miles worth of food.

I think what happens is after I do a run I didn't want to do, I just feel i deserve something special, like if i put myself thru all that pain, I should be able to enjoy something too.

And yeah, you're right, mr knight, it is the food
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Eat more than you burn and you'll gain. You can't use your running as a license to eat.

I've gained while running 50+ miles per week. It's easy, all you have to do is eat 60 miles worth of food...

+1 to this. I am an avid runner who used to think I could just run and eat what I wanted. Well, that is why I came here to MFP originally. :-)

Since then I've found a healthy relationship/balance between the two.

I can't just run my 50 miles and then eat 60 miles worth of food.

Granted, I can eat more than most but maniacal running is no green light to eat whatever and however you want.

I think if you run more, you've got to be even more careful about how much you put in your mouth.

I started running to lose weight originally. Now I want to lose weight to run faster, even if I run 50 miles a week. The math is what's important.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a TDEE model could help here.

Assuming you are consistent with your exercise plan (so that your TDEE prediction is accurate) perhaps you can disconnect your mental connection between running and eating. With a TDEE model you will not be "earning" additional calories to eat back because those calories are already built into your TDEE model.

I agree with Arc918. You can gain or lose weight with any amount of running mileage. It all comes down to math.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It's not your relationship with running that's the problem, it's your relationship with food.

Stop over-eating, and the "exercise as punishment" goes away with it.

You said it first.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    For me, the relationship with food is definitely the issue.

I ran 1200 miles last year and gained 40 pounds.

Any error in calculation will be magnified once you start trying to eat back long runs.

Last time I tried a TDEE approach, I didn't stick with it. The main thing for me is trying to figure out how to compensate for a second shift job with a variable end time. If I can get off at 12 or 1, I can get to bed on what I've eaten. If I'm there until 4:30, my supper is long gone and I need to eat something before bed, necessarily going over my planned calories. Unfortunately, my tendency is to wash down a 1200 calorie sandwich with a few beers, turning a 1000 calorie deficit into a 1000 calorie surplus.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I think what happens is after I do a run I didn't want to do, I just feel i deserve something special, like if i put myself thru all that pain, I should be able to enjoy something too.

Running should be pleasure not pain (at least most days), the run is its own reward.

Not surprisingly, this article came ot last week on runnersworld.com

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/why-do-runners-gain-weight

runners gaining weight is more common that you'd think, especially when training volumes go up and people get rungry!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Why dont you try and like running rather than see it as a weight loss chore?

Sign up to a local race, record your runs so you can beat your best time, run new distances, new routines.....
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

You do, actually. But in a VERY small quantity.
    Food should not be used for treats on people, anymore than it should be used on pets in a great abundance. Yes, savor every bite of it, but don't bite more than your body wants to handle.

bafc502559bc61e9967de2579f308126.png Poor cat, you know? :noway:
    aa2a9d26323337971e9749d124d990af.png ....poor dog :noway:

That's the main part where the mentality of a lot of people on the planet needs to be turned. Food CAN be treats, just not overly done because it will hurt you in the long run. Heh run ;)
    But just try to limit yourself to small portions, watch your macros and you're already watching the caloric intake and deficit, with the adjusted calories burnt, you should be totally fine.

Best of luck!
  • miladymarathoner
    miladymarathoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks guys, these comments give me lots to think about. I have heard of tdee but I don't know what that is. Any reference material out there?

I used to run with friends and do races, but now where I live I can't do either. I am basically confined to a treadmill and maybe that's why I don't enjoy it much. I watch tv and try to zone out. But I am always wanting to get off the treadmill. I usually have to fight to stick it out.
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    Like others have said above: You're burning sugar to run so you're body craves sugar in an effort to get you to replace it (here's more on that http://www.withoutagym.net/crave-sugar/)

My question:

If you don't like running and you're doing it for weight loss, have you thought about cutting back on the long kind and adding in more shorter, intense runs (aka sprints)?

With sprints, you won't be burning large amounts of glycogen ( = sugar) so you won't get those huge cravings either. Instead, you will be stimulating your metabolism to burn more calories throughout the day (rather then at one lump sum). You'll notice the difference.

And if you never sprinting before: Just stay on your forefoot and pump your arms. You may not be able to go that fast on a treadmill but no doubt it will be faster than what you were doing before :)
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    With sprints, you won't be burning large amounts of glycogen ( = sugar) so you won't get those huge cravings either. Instead, you will be stimulating your metabolism to burn more calories throughout the day (rather then at one lump sum). You'll notice the difference.

So, what would you be burning instead of glycogen?
  • leviclampitt
    Options

So, what would you be burning instead of glycogen?

A mix of ATP and Glycogen (just much less).
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...but now where I live I can't do either. I am basically confined to a treadmill and maybe that's why I don't enjoy it much...

Are you in jail?

Half kidding, but seriously. As long as you have the ability to leave your house, you should be able to find somewhere to run outside.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

While training for one marathon I was running over 60 miles a week. At the end of the marathon I realized my weight was exactly the same and I looked at my sister and said "HOLY CRAP! Do you realize how many calories I had to eat PER DAY to maintain this weight?" At my weight and mileage it would have been around 3000 on average.

Someone else mentioned it as well but incorporate speedwork into your runs twice a week. Not only will you get faster and stronger (and I usually feel more adrenaline/accomplishment when I'm done) but it breaks up the treadmill monotony.

And don't use running as a punishment!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I run because it keeps me from going postal. The bonus is that it burns a bunch of cals, lowers my blood glucose (I'm diabetic), I feel good, and I feel like I've done something although I run on a treadmill and actually go nowhere. Perhaps it is time that you find a different exercise that makes you feel good about what you have done so you don't feel you need a reward for suffering. I sometimes eat more but only because my body wants fuel.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend doing intervals. It really breaks up the monotony. You can also get great burns on your treadmills walking inclines (assming it has that feature). I burn as many calories walking 3.5mph at a 10% incline as I do running at about 5mph. And do intervals with that too! Mix it up and make it fun again! Walk uphill for a few minutes at varying speeds then run for a few minutes. Heck, you could even do things like walking backwards or sideways (careful, hold on).

I've never tried it myself but appparently the Zombies Run! app makes it quite fun too.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hey, just looking to see if anyone has had similar experiences and has some tips.

I have run a lot in the past and I usually enjoy it. At a certain point, it becomes a penalty for overeating which triggers more overeating. And then I ultimately gain weight.

Especially when I get bored with running and feel like I just have to do it because I should, I tend to quit running or overeat.

Any ideas on developing a healthy relationship with running?

My personal method is to keep them separate. I run because I enjoy it, not to lose weight. Weight loss is strictly a food thing for me. It's good that you see the connection. Sometimes, just being aware of something will spark a change.

Good luck!