How to manage weight when you can't excercise?

Options
Hi everyone!
This is my first post on myfitnesspal. I'm usually very independent and can pinpoint the reasons why I'm not having success losing weight and can find solutions that work for myself, but now I need your advice! I had surgery a week and a half ago to get a pretty large tumor removed from my thigh. The surgeon removed the tumor, a large margin of tissue surrounding it, an entire hamstring muscle, and some of my gluteus muscle. Needless to say, I'm having difficulty just trying to get up off the couch and walk around. Exercise is pretty much out of the question.
In addition, my wonderful family and friends have been showering me with gifts, and offering me whatever I want, so a lot of what is coming into this house right now is sugary drinks, sweets, cheesey foods, and foods loaded with carbs. In addition to the "bored eating" I am experiencing this thing where, I know that there is something delicious in the kitchen, and I simply feel the need to eat it, especially since so many things are treats I haven't had in forever because I had been eating rather healthy! The temptation is out of control though.
I know I'm facing a real personal challenge here. I've had to have surgery for the same thing twice already in the past, in 2011 and 2012, and last time I gained a significant amount of weight. I did manage to lose it, and then some, but it took A LOT of work. I don't want to end up back at square one!
So, has anyone else had to face this type of problem? How do I get out of this rut? I know I can't exercise, so I really need some tips on how to avoid the temptations and what I could possibly do as an alternative...
Thank you in advance for an suggestions and support you have to offer!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Exercise makes it easier to eat at a deficit, but it's not required. Learn to log everything you eat accurately & honestly. You can eat anything you want, as long as you meet your calorie goal.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • onemelodious
    onemelodious Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is all about portion control and sticking with healthy eating. When they say it is 80% food, they are right! I hurt my back 5 months ago and have had to scale back my exercise a lot. I was doing zumba three days a week and yoga three to five days a week. I still do yoga at least 3-5 days a week and am slowly adding back my zumba. I have been able to maintain my weight as I have been sticking to my portion control. It really does work. Good luck to you :)
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I had to lose weight for a number of months where I was laid up with an injury. You can do it. Here's some quick thoughts:

Be serious about your food tracking - get a food scale. Weight or measure things. Best honest with yourself.

Stock up on healthier, filling foods you like, so you have better choices on hand

Start up some new activities or hobbies to fill that boredom time, and work on consciously doing them, instead of eating to deal with the boredom

Watch some episodes of Smallville (worked for me) :wink: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/my-thanks-to-the-man-of-steel-407835

Good luck!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, just wanted to post that you look great and keep trying to be your best! You have gone through a lot, and strength is now your middle name. Keep trying to be your best!