FastDiet Anyone?

Options
mfpneuro
mfpneuro Posts: 13 Member
Anyone out there using the FastDiet? Basically: regular intake 1500 cal 5 days a week SSTWF and "fast" 500 cal Mon and Thu. I am 215 lb 6 ft male, and had no problem on the fast day: 1/2 oatmeal, 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 apple, Raman noodles, 1/2 serv almonds, lotsa water flavored with tsp fruit juice = 500 cal. I keep you posted. Just in 1st wk now. Ref: http://www.amazon.com/FastDiet-Weight-Healthy-Intermittent-Fasting/dp/1476734941/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389753283&sr=1-1&keywords=fast+diet

Replies

• avoidingdeath
    Options
    I know a doctor who is trying intermittent fasting but for different reasons as he doesn't need to loose weight. I think he mentioned something about a report that indicated increased cognitive function.
  • lrpeach
    lrpeach Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I tried it for about 4 weeks, but in the end I was just too cranky and found it hard to live my life. It's hard to stick to when you have children who are always eating around you and if you have work/social obligations that involve food. I found myself over-indulging a bit too much on the non-fast days so you really have to watch that if you aren't counting calories. I have read about the benefits of intermittent fasting and it is intriguing. Just too hard for me. I really like to exercise and on my fast days I just didn't have the energy. Good luck!
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    There is a group of us here doing the 5:2 known also as the fastday diet.
    I just love this plan. It is so easy to follow.
    I have been doing it since Dec.5 and lost about 7lbs. Took the week of Christmas off and then got back on. For a man you should be eating 600 on fast days and 2000 on non fast days.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are doing your low days so low the higher days should be at or near maintenance. I would guess for you that would be in the 2400 cal range, not 1500.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I did alternate day IF, which is a stricter version of Mosley's 5:2 plan (alternate every other day between high/low calorie days). It worked great for me and I successfully lost the weight and I'm now maintaining :)

And as previous poster said-your higher calorie days need to be at around maintenance calories. You're not eating enough on those days.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you are doing your low days so low the higher days should be at or near maintenance. I would guess for you that would be in the 2400 cal range, not 1500.

This!^ ......Fast days (2 non-consecutive) are 600 (for men) and then maintenance.....no way your maintenance is 1500.
  • mfpneuro
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I need to read the book and adjust 5:2 = 600 cal fast and 2400 cal maintenance with exercise. I'll keep you posted.
  • mfpneuro
    Options
    I know a doctor who is trying intermittent fasting but for different reasons as he doesn't need to loose weight. I think he mentioned something about a report that indicated increased cognitive function.

@avoidingdeath> Yes I have heard the same, which is additional reason for me to get , this right - I am a neurologist, and my mother had Alzheimers.
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Active 5:2 fast dieter ????
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!