Favorite QUICK and EASY meals?

Options
jujaws
jujaws Posts: 192 Member
My boyfriend has finally decided to take the plunge with me and so we're losing weight together. I'm trying to cut down fast food to only once a week so with that being said..what are your favorite quick and easy meals?

Last week we threw some quesadillas on the george foreman and they were pretty darn good! That thing works super fast!

Replies

• jujaws
    Options
    I was hoping to make something tonight, so any ideas you guys have would be awesome :).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to make something tonight, so any ideas you guys have would be awesome :).

Stuffed Pepper Soup

1/2 pound ground round
    2 cups chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
    1 1/2 cups hot cooked white rice

Heat a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped green bell pepper and onion; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black pepper, less-sodium beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
    Spoon 1/4 cup hot cooked white rice into each of 6 bowls; top with 1 cup soup.

*Variations: for tomato soup I use Amy's or Progresso - Campbell's too sweet (IMO). I also like to add some basil. You can use brown rice. Red & green pepper combo is nice.

You can also add extra water ....and throw Minute Rice in 5 minutes before serving.

You can also set this up in a crock pot......dinner is ready when you get home.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Foil-Pack Taco Chicken

4 servings
    4small boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 lb.)
    4 tsp. taco Seasoning Mix
    2lb. red potatoes (about 2), thinly sliced
    3/4 cup Mexican Style 2% Finely Shredded Four Cheese
    1/2 cup Chunky Salsa
    ¼ cup Light Sour Cream

HEAT oven to 400°F.

SPRINKLE chicken with seasoning mix. Place 1/2 cup potatoes on center of each of 4 large sheets heavy-duty foil sprayed with cooking spray; top with chicken, cheese and salsa.

FOLD foil to make 4 packets; place on rimmed baking sheet.

BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until chicken is done (165°F). Cut slits in foil to release steam before opening packets. Top chicken with sour cream.

Tons of foil pack recipes ....Kraft or Reynolds
  • fluffyrn12
    fluffyrn12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yummy, bump
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Salmon tagliatelle :) It tastes so creamy that it feels it should be fatty, but it's not. A medium-large portion is about 450 calories and really satisfying. It's a recipe in a book i have at home, but all you do is:

Makes 2 portions:
    weigh out 130g wholewheat/brown dried tagliatelle. boil in salted water for 10 mins.
    melt one tea spoon of low fat butter (I like flora light) in a large frying pan.
    chop (into small slithers) one large onion and throw into frying pan. Fry until softened.
    add 150ml skimmed 0% milk to the frying pan (I know, but trust me!)
    chop up 150g salmon or any skinless, boneless fish available. If smoked fish is used (we love smoked mackerel! make sure it's undyed) and add to the pan.
    Add another 150ml of skimmed milk and turn pan onto high to allow sauce to thicken. Once it's been about 8 minutes, turn down to simmer.
    Whilst your sauce is cooking, add in some spices of your choice (italian/mixed herbs we feel are nicest) plus anything additional you may want like spinach or spring onions etc.
    Drain pasta, divide between two plates.
    Serve sauce and fish over it.

Depending on what you put in, it can range from 420-590 but obviously macors will vary depending on what you do. We have it at least once a week usually on a gym night because it takes about 10 mins to do, there's only one pan to clean really and it's satisfying.

Tuna pasta with grilled peppers and frozen mixed veg chucked in with some herbs is also quick and tasty.

Jacket potato with "light choices" beans and reduced fat cheese is also a favourite of mine.
  • jobeanqueen
    jobeanqueen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Foil-Pack Taco Chicken

4 servings
    4small boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 lb.)
    4 tsp. taco Seasoning Mix
    2lb. red potatoes (about 2), thinly sliced
    3/4 cup Mexican Style 2% Finely Shredded Four Cheese
    1/2 cup Chunky Salsa
    ¼ cup Light Sour Cream

HEAT oven to 400°F.

SPRINKLE chicken with seasoning mix. Place 1/2 cup potatoes on center of each of 4 large sheets heavy-duty foil sprayed with cooking spray; top with chicken, cheese and salsa.

FOLD foil to make 4 packets; place on rimmed baking sheet.

BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until chicken is done (165°F). Cut slits in foil to release steam before opening packets. Top chicken with sour cream.

Tons of foil pack recipes ....Kraft or Reynolds
  • jobeanqueen
    jobeanqueen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    holy mackerel, this sounds awesome. And easy, and high protein/low cal! I'm making these tomorrow. Thanks!:smile:
  • gbpacker001
    gbpacker001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    flatout thin crust pizza recipe
    A quick and easy pizza recipe that is delicious, filling,

Ingredients

1 Flatout Flatbread in Light Original
    1/2 cup prepared pizza sauce
    1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    Veggie toppings of choice (I used tomatoes, onions, jalapenos)
    Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Spray a large piece of aluminum foil with non-fat cooking spray, and place Flatout Flatbread on it. Heat flatbread in oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until the flatbread begins to crisp.
    Remove flatbread from oven and top with sauce, cheese, veggies, garlic powder and oregano.
    Return to oven and heat until cheese is melted and pizza is cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
    Preparation time: 5 minute(s)

Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
  • gbpacker001
    gbpacker001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    the pizza is only around 290(more or less) calories depending on your toppings.
  • jujaws
    Options
    We've tried something similar to that foil chicken recipe and it was so good, I'll have to try it this way too!

The more the merrier, I'd love to try as much as I can!

I have to say my favorite quick meal is Swiss Chicken.

6 chicken breast halves (boneless)
    6 slices swiss cheese
    1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
    1/4 c milk
    1pkg dry bread stuffing mix
    1/2 c melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Arrange chicken breasts in the baking dish with one slice of swiss cheese on each. Combine cream of chicken soup and milk in a medium bowl, and pour over chicken breasts. Sprinkle with stuffing mix. Pour melted butter over top, and cover with foil.
    Bake for an hour or until chicken is fully cooked.
  • jujaws
    Options
    You could also easily use mozzarella if you don't like swiss cheese..and of course you can use the low fat cheese/butter/milk..etc. :)
  • crashmandi
    crashmandi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    something really quick and easy, I pre make meals and freeze them for reheating later. due to my work and training schedule, I have two or three nights a week that I just don't have time to cook. So reheating something means I'm not getting fast food and still keeping within my calories
  • lenyluyten
    Options
    I like to keep the Lean Cuisine meals on hand for work when I'm running late in the morning to pack a lunch. Many of the meals ex; portabello steak tips and broccoli has only 160 calories, I choose the meals that have 240 calories or less. Very tasty , my husband will use one as a snack meal mid day with that low of calorie it's dooable.
  • Venobambino
    Venobambino Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I made this recipe up a few years ago when we somehow ended up with frozen spinach and didn't know what the heck to do with it. Even my 3-year-old will eat it. It's what I throw together when I have no time to cook a nice meal. Only a few ingredients. It's surprisingly really good.

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
    1 bag of frozen spinach
    2 cups of shredded cheese (any kind)
    Grated parmesean cheese.
    Cooked rice

Defrost the spinach in the microwave (do not drain).
    Cut chicken into bite size pieces and cook on the stovetop until no longer pink (throw a little oil or butter in the pan).
    Toss the spinach with the chicken until well mixed.
    Add the shredded cheese and heat on low until the spinach is cooked thoroughly.
    Add salt and pepper to taste. I usually throw some garlic in with it as well.
    Sprinkle with parmesean cheese.
    Serve over rice.

Serves 4-5 people.

Oh, it also freezes REALLY well for later.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Following!
    I do love the crock pot. You can always prepare/chop the night before so in the morning you dump it all in, set and forget or cook overnight if you need a packed lunch. Even breakfast casserole can be cooked in the crock pot. I want to make again a sweet potato ground turkey stew ( I don't know calorie count though )
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2011/10/crockpot-recipe-for-sweet-and-spicy.html
    I need to skim my new recipe books for new low cal ideas (so your post is great!). I also love cooking quinoa in my rice cooker. Done in about 20-25 minutes.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just tried a new recipe tonight and it was really good and quick and easy, I got it out of Jillian Michales book Making the Cut:
    Broccoli, Turkey , and Cheese Lavash Wrap/ serves 4
    3/4 cup broccoli florets
    1/4 cup ( 2 ounces) tub-style light cream cheese
    2 tablespoons fat-free Italian dressing
    1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    6 slices (about 6 ounces) low-sodium turkey breast, thinly sliced
    1/3 cup bottled roasted red peppers, chopped
    4 round lavash wraps

1. Steam broccoli, covered for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender
    2. While the broccoli cooks, combine cream cheese, dressing, and Italian seasoning in a bowl.
    3. Combine broccoli, cream cheese mixture, turkey, and bell peppers in a medium nonstick skillet; cook turkey mixture over medium -high heat until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.
    4. Spred turkey mixture evenly over lavash wraps, roll up into 4 wraps.
    According to the recipe Jillian wrote it's calories 216, fat 7f, protein 143.s sodium 664, fiber 1.6g , carbs 24.4 g
    but of course check your packaging of the products you use to get accurate numbers for how you make it. I didn't know what a lavash wrap was so I just used tortillas I had, I also wanted more broccoli and I used enough where it was 3/4 cup per wrap and they were still delish!
  • licktat
    licktat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Before my healthy lifestyle I was a huge fan of Paula Dean, and I still am. Great lady. That said I love to cook and on Sunday I have all my kids and their kids for dinner and Dad is expected to cook. They don't want bean sprouts, so one week I was craving fried chicken, so I played with this recipe until I had it right. It will fix your fried chicken crave!

8-10 chicken thighs (skin removed) I like thighs. They are juicier and have no more calories than drier breast meat
    Corn Flakes - semi crushed
    3 eggs
    Tabasco
    Flour
    Chicken seasoning

Preheat oven to 350
    Spray pam on a 9x13
    Set out 3 bowls. 1 for flour, 1 for eggs and a teaspoon of Tabasco, 1 for corn flakes

Season thighs, then coat lightly with flour, dredge thru eggs, and roll it thru corn flakes and place in pan. It's ok to push them together if you like the chicken really moist. But if you like more crunch, place a rack in pan, and keep separation of thighs.
    Insert thermometer and cook to 170 and until corn flakes become golden....

I think I like it more than most fried chicken I have had! My family asks my to make it if I haven't for a month....
  • Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    Crockpot Chicken Taco Meat

1 can of salsa
    1 packet of taco seasoning
    2-4 chicken breasts

Throw the above ingredients in a crockpot and cook on slow for 4-8 hours. Once it is finished cooking, remove the breasts and shred with a fork. Place in a whole wheat tortilla or taco shell with garnishes; place on top of a salad for a yummy taco salad; eat plain; place on top of brown rice (you can mix the remaining salsa from the crockpot into the rice for easy Spanish rice). Whatever floats your boat! :)
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I also make Crockpot Chicken except I toss in a can of green chili's also. It's great. We make a second meal by tossing leftover chicken into warmed corn tortillas, roll, cover with enchilada sauce and sprinkle on a little cheese if you want. Top with lettuce, tomato, sour cream...whatever you prefer. Super easy!
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yum