Musical instruments - anyone else learning to play one?

Options
I gifted myself a bass guitar for my last birthday, but had to set it aside for a while. Now that I've started working on improving my person via healthier eating and (as of next week, if i can get the treadmill set right) exercise, I think my music skills should come next.

I got a DVD that purportedly teaches you to play bass in 8 weeks. My real challenge is that I'm a righty but my grip is reversed. I can't hold a guitar right handed to save my life. I'm a musical lefty.

Is anyone else just beginning to learn a musical instrument as an adult, or perhaps re-learning music?

Replies

• LaBelleGigi
    Options
    Anyone...?

Anyone...?

Bueller...?
  • trank406
    Options
    I play the piano.. been playing since I was a kid. I want to take a class though to be able to read music notes.. but other then that I'm self taught and I absolutely love it!
  • NormaHBrown
    NormaHBrown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My hubby recently bought me an acoustic guitar because I told him I used to play when I was in HS (almost a hundred years ago!). I still remember a lot of the chords, but I'm mostly just tinkering with it.
  • tashie143
    Options
    Don't have time but my hubby says I should sing lol he's better than me though! :tongue:
  • LaBelleGigi
    Options
    OK, we have a vocalist, a pianist, a guitar player, the bassist c'est moi... can we get a drummer? :smokin:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Trying to learn acoustic guitar!

Would love to be able to learn the violin, but I've heard it's incredibly hard.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i am thinking of picking up piano again, good for you on the self-improvement
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I play the clarinet. (:
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've been singing/playing acoustic guitar ever since a kid. Later on, I had friends who plays piano. So since then I decided to learn piano and started playing. But it'd be great if I go to a musical class so I can learn how to read musical notes so I can play/sing(learn diaghpram technique). em.

oh..and by the way I'm self taught on playing instruments:)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I played the flute and violin as a kid (until I was 16) and can probably still play the flute. I can still read music. I'd love to have lessons again, but just don't have the time at the moment. I'm hoping my kids will want to play an instrument.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I learned the trumpet in elementary and played through highschool. Also learned the piano, guitar and drums. Still play the piano (I have a baby grand right now) and still play guitar on occasion.
    My favorite piano piece I've memorized and can play is 18th variation from the Theme of Paganini (love song from "Somewhere in Time").

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I learned the trumpet in elementary and played through highschool. Also learned the piano, guitar and drums. Still play the piano (I have a baby grand right now) and still play guitar on occasion.
    My favorite piano piece I've memorized and can play is 18th variation from the Theme of Paganini (love song from "Somewhere in Time").

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Awesome!
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've been playing guitar on & off since I was nine years old. Self taught. Just recently started getting into using tabs as well, so I'm learning new things with it. I've probably learned nearly 500 songs so far.
    I can kind of play keyboards, but I basically just listen to stuff, & repeat it by ear.
    And if singing counts as an instrument, haha.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I play a few things. Mostly piano and voice which I teach also. I'd like to learn Cello, though. I rented one for a month and it's easy enough to figure out the notes and fingering but the bowing technique is a whole other ball of wax
  • LaBelleGigi
    Options
    i am thinking of picking up piano again, good for you on the self-improvement

Thanks! :happy: