Adjusting to Cubicle Life

Options
Hi, guys! My name is Lauren. I graduated from college in the winter of 2011, and have been working as a designer for an ad agency for two years now.

Before I started my job, I consistently weighed about 125-130 pounds. Back then I was a bit more active. I did lacrosse and field hockey in high school and did tae-kwon-do at the end of college. And even when I wasn't working out, just walking across campus to my classes and back to my apartment (which was on top of a huge hill) was a workout.

Now, due to my sedentary cubicle job, I'm now about 150. Not so bad, but I'm afraid if I don't make a change to my not-so-healthy habits, I'll just keep gaining weight, and it'll just be that much harder for me to make a change down the road. Especially since I have such a sweet tooth!

I joined this site to try to keep better tabs of what I'm eating, and I'm also planning on working out for 30 minutes 5 times a week. Hoping to get back to the weight I was at before my job, and then maybe gain some muscles.

Good luck to everyone on their own journeys to healthy lifestyles! :)

Replies

• Sozzy23
    Sozzy23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also work in a cubicle, very sedentary job and lucky if on a usual day I get 5000 steps in if I do not exercise. Best of luck with your tracking and your journey!
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    HI there. I work at a desk full time too. the benefits of an office job is access to fridges and microwaves so eating healthy is esy if you're organised. I have a young child and manage to work 50hrs a week and gym 5 times a week for 1 - 1.5hrs each session. If I can do it, you can!
  • MsQuinzel
    Options
    Sozzy - I know, right? The agency I work at is pretty small; I only have to walk maybe 20 feet to the furthest office away from mine. And before this month started, I would just go back and sit my butt in front of the tv or computer. So clearly I haven't been doing enough! I was pretty out of breath when I started going to the gym this month, haha. But it's getting easier. Thank you, best of luck to you, too! :)
  • NorCal311
    NorCal311 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have been working at a desk fro the last 20 something years. One thing that I do about every hour or so is do a set of desk pushups, lunges, desk tricep dips, go for a walk around the building, do something. Sitting for long periods of time is not good for the body.

Wishing you the best,
    -Brian
  • MsQuinzel
    Options
    Manda - I definitely think organization is key. I started eating Stouffer's entrees a lot since I started my job because we had the microwave. Thought it'd be nice to have hot meals. But it wasn't until today when I checked to see how many calories were in the Fettuccini Alfredo (the one I eat most often). 630 calories! D: Had no idea. And to think I had an Amy's entree today that was just 250. Needless to say, I'm definitely gonna make sure I check out the calories from now on, and buy the lighter stuff.
  • MsQuinzel
    Options
    Brian - That's a good idea. I'll have to look into these desk workouts. Might even help getting the creative juices flowing with the blood pumping and whatnot. :)
  • NorCal311
    NorCal311 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Brian - That's a good idea. I'll have to look into these desk workouts. Might even help getting the creative juices flowing with the blood pumping and whatnot. :)
    It is easy, quick and you do not have to break a sweat. Just need to move and work different body parts that are static at the desk. Does not take a long time (30 seconds every hour) and will do a body good. Find what works for you and nail it!

-Brian