I failed the first time - Need advice, 4 questions

Options
Question 1.

I gained so much weight that the inside of my upper thighs rubs together all the time and it hurts like hell even when not exercising. Simply walking is painful so the pain of going to the gym scares me even more (even though I have gone to the gym previously etc.)

I do want to exercise and get rid of this fat but I want to know if there is something I can do to stop the upper inside thigh's from killing me (especially when at the gym) - so to speak. I really do just want to be able to walk again properly and not feel like my legs are stuck together all the time.

What can I do? What type of creams are there to stop this from killing while exercising? - originally I was too afraid to ask because I found the issue so embarrassing that I tried to 'grin and bear it' through the pain, but it hurt so much I started to avoid going to the gym. - It got to the point where I avoided walking. I don't want to get any worse in this case.

Question 2.

I see people who were as big as me loose the weight and be left over with a huge amount of loose skin, it terrifies me to think that if I start to lose weight I’m going to be left over with skin that looks like that - I'm really happy for them that they lost the weight don't get me wrong - but for me I don't want the loose skin, I want to be able to go to the beach with my shirt off and surf etc. (assuming I can fix the leg problem in question 1 as well) - I guess what I want to know is, if it actually is possible to lose the weight and not be left over with a vast amount of loose skin (I’d prefer to be left over with no loose skin at all and am happy to do what it takes and take my time doing it if I know I won't be left looking disfigured) - This alone has stopped me from starting at the gym again as I fear loose skin more than I fear being overweight etc.

Question 3.

I got really itchy skin all over the last time I started exercising and I don't even understand what caused it but it was terrible – it only happened after I started losing weight from the first time I exercised properly – is there any way to stop it from itching as bad as it did?

Question 4.

So much happened in the last 6 months that I screwed up my gyming because I was unable to continue due to both money and personal situation – and I reverted back to old habits really fast and ended up putting weight back on – how can I not let that happen again? – (gave up coke then drank litres upon litres upon litres over the last 6 months, stopped eating correctly, everything just got messed up) – I’m in a position now where I can fix that again and I’ve moved about 4000kms away from the issues source so now I can focus again ---- how is basically my question?

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Question 1: My sister has big boobs and they chafe when she runs so she uses a lubricant - comes in a tube like chapstick. I see runners using it all the time at marathons. :wink:
    http://www.runoutlet.com/p/runguard-anti-chafe-stick-0.5oz-(sensitive)-40009/

Question 3: Sometimes, when doing a physical activity that is new to you, you may feel itching or zapping sensations under your skin at first. Something about blood flow, muscles and nerves - everything being activated creates a funky sensation. It goes away when your body becomes used to the activity. After doing the same activity several times, it should lessen and then eventually disappear completely. :flowerforyou:
    http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/c/question/54379/45782

ETA: links
  • bebeXchyM
    bebeXchyM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    2. Strength training, water, maybe a collagen-enriched cream and patience. Goodluck getting back on track!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    wear leggings (either under other pants/shorts or on their own) to stop chaffing.

losing weight slowly will help minimise loose skin occurring. you may have some, but realistically would you rather be overweight forever or have some loose skin? if you do end up with loose skin, you could consider surgery to remove it....it sounds like a better option than being unhealthily overweight for a prolonged period of time

consistency will help you stick to this. it's not over once you've lost the weight. it is something you need to focus on for life. working with someone to sort out the emotional issues that may arise might be a good idea - you don't need to turn to food/drink/poor lifestyle when you're upset about something or when part of your life isn't going how you want. you need to put yourself, your health and your goals above everything else....whatever you do, make sure it's going to help you be who you want to be and achieve what you want to achieve.
  • CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Q1 - Your legs are going to rub if you get sweaty. Can happen anywhere, and happens in lots of different sports, regardless of how fit you are.

http://egopharm.com/our-products/silic15/silic-15-cream-and-lotion/

This stuff is the best. It helps stop your skin rubbing, and it also helps if you have some chafing there and want to protect it.

And wear the right clothing. Lycra pants will help your skin to slide rather than rub. There is a reason why cyclists wear it! I suffer from the same problem, and my solution is to wear 3/4 (knee length) lycra pants from Target for all exercise. They are comfortable, cheap and don't get too hot. I can run in them, I used to paddle in them (and wooden dragon boat seats cause terrible chafing!), and I don't care what I look like in them. After all, I'm exercising, not going to a party.

Q2 - Stretch marks don't go away. If you have them, you have them. As for saggy skin, if you don't lose weight dramatically, your body will be able to adjust better. But speaking as a mum who had a c-section and a nearly 10-pound baby, sometimes saggy skin happens. Deal with it - My solution is to wear high-waisted vintage clothing that is much more flattering to my figure than low-waisted skinny jeans. Consult a doctor if the problem is unbearable, there are surgical options once you have your weight under control. Remember that losing weight should be more about improving health than appearance.

Q3 - Talk to your doctor, but it could be a circulation thing. Might go away as you get fitter and improve your circulation, but get yourself checked out first. Eliminate causes like allergies to sunscreen or deodorants.

Q4 - The best exercise is free and fun. A great example is www.parkrun.com. All you need is a pair of joggers and your barcode and you can do a fun run every week! I started about 10 weeks ago and it's the best thing I've done for myself. I'm a retired paddler - as a stay at home mum I have no time or $ to paddle anymore, but now, I have a weekly motivation to exercise and improve. Gyms are great but there are SO many things you can do that will give you great exercise and cost you nothing. Walking up and down stairs, running on a beach, swimming, tai chi in the park, walking through the snow, walking with a heavy backpack, walking the dog, push ups on park benches, chin ups on monkey bars in the playground. Find something that you like to do and do it often. Better still if you can find a friend to join you.
  • Frostyfrozenpants
    Frostyfrozenpants Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for advice.
  • paula5077
    paula5077 Posts: 57
    Options
    Question 1.

I gained so much weight that the inside of my upper thighs rubs together all the time and it hurts like hell even when not exercising. Simply walking is painful so the pain of going to the gym scares me even more (even though I have gone to the gym previously etc.)

I do want to exercise and get rid of this fat but I want to know if there is something I can do to stop the upper inside thigh's from killing me (especially when at the gym) - so to speak. I really do just want to be able to walk again properly and not feel like my legs are stuck together all the time.

What can I do? What type of creams are there to stop this from killing while exercising? - originally I was too afraid to ask because I found the issue so embarrassing that I tried to 'grin and bear it' through the pain, but it hurt so much I started to avoid going to the gym. - It got to the point where I avoided walking. I don't want to get any worse in this case.

Question 2.

I see people who were as big as me loose the weight and be left over with a huge amount of loose skin, it terrifies me to think that if I start to lose weight I’m going to be left over with skin that looks like that - I'm really happy for them that they lost the weight don't get me wrong - but for me I don't want the loose skin, I want to be able to go to the beach with my shirt off and surf etc. (assuming I can fix the leg problem in question 1 as well) - I guess what I want to know is, if it actually is possible to lose the weight and not be left over with a vast amount of loose skin (I’d prefer to be left over with no loose skin at all and am happy to do what it takes and take my time doing it if I know I won't be left looking disfigured) - This alone has stopped me from starting at the gym again as I fear loose skin more than I fear being overweight etc.

Question 3.

I got really itchy skin all over the last time I started exercising and I don't even understand what caused it but it was terrible – it only happened after I started losing weight from the first time I exercised properly – is there any way to stop it from itching as bad as it did?

Question 4.

So much happened in the last 6 months that I screwed up my gyming because I was unable to continue due to both money and personal situation – and I reverted back to old habits really fast and ended up putting weight back on – how can I not let that happen again? – (gave up coke then drank litres upon litres upon litres over the last 6 months, stopped eating correctly, everything just got messed up) – I’m in a position now where I can fix that again and I’ve moved about 4000kms away from the issues source so now I can focus again ---- how is basically my question?
    \
    for Q 1; Monistat makes a anti chaffing cream. it's cheap and feels like silk when you put it on your skin. It's for everywhere not just "there" so don't get confused by the monistat name. lol. I use it under my arms and in the summer behind my knees.

Q3 I sonly sometimes itch when I exercise. it's from the sweat. try to scrub as good as possible in the shower or even dry brush your skin. Use a pure coconut oil as a lotion, works great! Maybe that'll help some.

Q4 First things first, remove all negative from your goal!! Drink water, lots of water. try infused waters or even maybe try watering drink your cokes to start off. Also, get good friends! Find good motivators and support members. Whether that be in real life or on here. It does help! And be sure to take before pictures of yourself to help remind you why you need to keep going, keep pushing and keep striving!
    hope I helped some. best of luck :)
  • jbyesh
    jbyesh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Re: Q4 I haven't been able to afford the gym in years. I walk in my lunches and have a variety of workout videos (from step aerobics, kickboxing, calisthenics, to yoga - which I use when I'm just not feeling like an intense cardio session.) & if you fall off the wagon you get to decide if it's going to be for today ...a week?....a month?.... Or a year. Eventually you'll come back, how long it takes is totally up to you ! :)
  • hopeewilson
    hopeewilson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford the nicer BodyGlide or other anti-chafing stuff-- Vaseline works well in a pinch too! :)
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    1 - try swimming?

2 - its really just the luck of the draw some people experience it some people don't it just depends on your skin and the way the fat is distributed in the body. I know you said you were almost more worried about the loose skin than being over weight but think of it like this: you can at least hide loose skin, you can't hide being over weight.

3 - might just be from the sweat? it should go away after awhile. You could always try and ask your doc about that one...

4 - take it slow. everyone wants to jump right in when they feel that motivation but keep your calories higher for a bit - eat what you want but stay at a deficit and try and make 1 or 2 healthy habits at a time. Think long term. Think about what is sustainable for the rest of your life. In order to permanently lose this weight your lifestyle has to permanently change.
  • Moun10Top
    Options
    Hi, I hope you're doing well on your goal of getting back on track. Maybe you could work out at home until you regain some confidence and comfort with exercising again. Wear some tights to compress your thighs, preferably the ones with a little sheen on them because they will allow your legs to glide better without so much chafing. Or wear shorts and apply coconut oil to inner thigh skin. Start out with 5 or 10 minute intervals of working out, and build up when you feel ready. I bought a mini trampoline a couple of months ago and started out slowly jogging on it for 10 minutes at a time. It's a good low impact indoor workout.

There are also some great free apps for your phone or ipod, such as the one by Nike. These let you choose a workout circuit to do at home, length of time, level of difficulty, etc., and they the built in timer and photos keep you on track to perform the moves correctly.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Greetings fellow Aussie (I hail from Tassie),

1. Try anti-perspirant options .....maybe "Neat Feet", no don't laugh it's for anywhere sweating/chafing causes issues. Ask at the Pharmacy they will be able to give you options......there's prob. newer better options now. Or the other help would be to wear like bike tights/leggings under gym gear, at least it will keep the areas apart. Just a bit of another hint......make sure that the area is kept as dry and healthy as possible, chafing can cause skin damage if not cared and treated. Again I think that there is special powder that has drying products in it as well as being medicated.....just a thought.

2. Dude.....it really is the luck of genetics as to how much loose skin you will be left with. I'm older than you and started at 126kgs (267lbs) at the age of 48....took me 2 years to get to 50kgs (110lbs) and I've maintained it for basically 2 years, add that too 2 kidlets, I have minimal saggy skin. I think taking it slow, getting plenty of water, moisturising all helps. But please don't let the worry about the future stop you living your life NOW. You will be so much healthier and if there are real skin issues afterwards there are medical procedures that you would qualify for.

3. I agree it may be from sweat....It could be too that you skin is a tad fragile caused it's stretched out...often obesity causes circulatory compromises and itching can be a part of that, kinda fits if you notice it when you work out.... I know when I was big my skin would itch like crazy - lost weight and it stopped. That said and I don't want to alarm you, itchy skin may be a symptom of blood sugar abnormalities, may be worth getting it checked if you haven't.

4. Start by taking that 1st step 1st. IE. don't fall into thinking you have to go "Balls out" and that if you don't you've failed. You're here on MFP it's such a great place. Start by weighing, logging everything that you eat......be consistent, do that for at least a couple of months. Read, Read, Read all you can on here....maybe join a group who are doing/going where you want to be. Have endless patience with yourself.....you may slip (Struth...you're only human), but don't let that derail you. Log it/deal with it and move on to the next day. Find something you enjoy doing that gets you out.....loneliness and isolation is not good for you body or soul......if it's the gym all well and good, if not all well and good, but do try and get out of the house, raise your heart rate and get some endorphins going.
    Rinse and repeat.

Oh, another thing.....feel free to add me as a mate if you want, but get out into the MFP zone and add some friends to your journey, support and encouragement goes a long.

Good luck !!!!!
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    2. It is totally out of your control. It is just one of those things where you have to let go and what happens, happens. The fact is that a lot more people get the lose skin then not, so brace your self for the fact you might get it right now. You have to dig in now and get ready for it so you don't fall back in to your old ways. Hiding the skin is super easy, almost 100kg of fat, even the blind are going to see that.