Does it really matter? (I'm new ;-)

Options
Does it really matter when we eat what? Specifically, I don't really care to eat fruit during the daytime so when I want a sweet treat at night I reach for a banana. Being that it is usually bedtime and I've heard not to eat sugar too late, I am always feeling guilty about it. It totally fits into my caloric needs and I am also finding that at the end of the day I need to still eat 300-400 more cals to meet my goal! I have been satisfied and energetic through out the day so I am always surprised by this. Anyway, any insight would be much appreciated!

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter when we eat what? Specifically, I don't really care to eat fruit during the daytime so when I want a sweet treat at night I reach for a banana. Being that it is usually bedtime and I've heard not to eat sugar too late, I am always feeling guilty about it. It totally fits into my caloric needs and I am also finding that at the end of the day I need to still eat 300-400 more cals to meet my goal! I have been satisfied and energetic through out the day so I am always surprised by this. Anyway, any insight would be much appreciated!
    Carry on., you're doing fine. Eat what you want when you want. The important thing is not what you eat when but eating at a calorie deficit.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you have room in your calories and you want a banana, by all means go for it. It really doesn't matter what time of day you eat, promise.
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    As long as you are under your calorie intake then yes eat away.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't matter. There are threads a plenty on here to tell you that calories don't come in different types, they're just calories.

Eat it, log it (or the other way abut, if you prefer) and as long as you are under, don't worry about it.

Best advice is not to get too hung up on the specifics (I used to). Use MFP as a tool and a guide and you'll get on fine.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Not in the matter of weight loss...deficit is key.

For gym, exercise, running etc performance yes....try running with a full stomach, or lifting without energy.

* If eating more frequently makes it easier to control/reduce calories, it will help you to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating more frequently makes it harder to control/reduce calories, or makes you eat more, you will gain weight.
    * If eating less frequently makes it harder for you to control/reduce calories (because you get hungry and binge), it will hurt your efforts to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating less frequently makes it easier for you to control/reduce calories (for any number of reasons), then that will help your efforts to lose weight/fat

Or in other words, personal preference.

References:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Being under your caloric intake is the important thing. I dont deprive myself of sweets if thats what I want and I dont eat foods I dont like just to loose weight. I do however notice that my body feels better when the quality of food is better
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    No it does not matter. If timing mattered then every person working nightshift or any other wierd schedule would be screwed.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you've got that many cals to eat, spread some nut butter on your banana....delicious!! :)
  • Biddygirl77
    Biddygirl77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Just so I am understanding correctly I could, not that I would, skip all daytime meals and then eat all my 1200 cals before bed and still lose weight?
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Just so I am understanding correctly I could, not that I would, skip all daytime meals and then eat all my 1200 cals before bed and still lose weight?

Absolutely!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

That is correct.....so long as you don't have any medical issue we are unaware of such as diabeties, PCOS, thyroid issues....etc.....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes but you might get indigestion or have crazy dreams
  • Ruth947
    Options
    I quite often have a banana before bed as they are good for helping you sleep :-)
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    yes but you might get indigestion or have crazy dreams

Hahaha, yes you can!

But maybe you can´t find sleep after that :wink:
  • Biddygirl77
    Biddygirl77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can go most of the day without eating much. I prefer to eat my largest meal at the end of the day when I can actually sit down and enjoy it. I am a busy mom of 3 young kids so....that would probably explain why. I actually LOVE crazy dreams so sometimes purposely eat a square of dark chocolate right before bed ;-) I just never knew that it was okay since you hear so much about eating small meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism high. Thanks again, everyone!