Not enough calories?

Options
So I have finished my entry for today and I'm at around 1100 calories which is about 200 under my goal, what I wanted to know is, is this unhealthy or dangerous? I'm not trying to eat very little or 'starve' myself, I've just cut out certain things in order to make healthier choices and now I get full faster. So if I feel good, then is it okay to only eat this amount? Because I've heard that we shouldn't go under 1200 calories...

My stats: I'm 5'8''/5'9'' and weigh in the 140's (pounds). I know it's a healthy weight for my height! it's just that I have a small body frame and I would look (and feel) a lot better if I could lose 10 pounds.

Also, I'm trying to lose about 1lb/week.

Replies

• tbogey
    tbogey Posts: 4
    Options
    I've read that for women going under 1200 calories over a longer period of time can slow our metabolism.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if it's a one time thing then no big thing. if it's something you do on a regular basis, then just eat half an avocado or a tablespoon of peanut butter
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So I have finished my entry for today and I'm at around 1100 calories which is about 200 under my goal, what I wanted to know is, is this unhealthy or dangerous? I'm not trying to eat very little or 'starve' myself, I've just cut out certain things in order to make healthier choices and now I get full faster. So if I feel good, then is it okay to only eat this amount? Because I've heard that we shouldn't go under 1200 calories...

My stats: I'm 5'8''/5'9'' and weigh in the 140's (pounds). I know it's a healthy weight for my height! it's just that I have a small body frame and I would look (and feel) a lot better if I could lose 10 pounds.

Hi. To start off, you should not be eating 1200 calories at your height, you should be eating more. Here's a good link to see approximately how much you should be eating: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Here's what I came up with using your age, height, and weight. I use the desk job with little exercise setting because I don't know how active, etc. you are.

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1477 <----calories you need if you are comatose.
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 1773 <
    calories you need to maintain your weight.
    Calories to Lose a half pound a week 1684 <
    this is without exercise. If you exercise you must eat more than this.

It sounds like you have very little weight to lose, if any since you are in a healthy weight range, so you should lose that 5 or ten pounds very slowly.

The best of luck to you.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Hi. To start off, you should not be eating 1200 calories at your height, you should be eating more. Here's a good link to see approximately how much you should be eating: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Here's what I came up with using your age, height, and weight. I use the desk job with little exercise setting because I don't know how active, etc. you are.

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1477 <----calories you need if you are comatose.
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 1773 <
    calories you need to maintain your weight.
    Calories to Lose a half pound a week 1684 <
    this is without exercise. If you exercise you must eat more than this.

It sounds like you have very little weight to lose, if any since you are in a healthy weight range, so you should lose that 5 or ten pounds very slowly.

The best of luck to you.

This^^^

Someone of your height and weight should be eating more cal's for sure. I'd say around 1800 to start and see how you feel from there, especially depending on how often you exercise, and how much!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

YAY! We're twinsies - about the same height and weight! But I ate 1100 calories by lunch time, so not really. Nope, if I lost 10 pounds I would look like death. Which is why I'm trying to build some muscle eating 2200 calories a day. Seriously, look into it. Sounds like you may be headed toward skinny fat and that's not a good look my friend.
  • GeordieRover
    GeordieRover Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you don't put sugar into your tea or coffee, eliminate bread, and minimize milk, don't eat takeaway foods, or supermarket junk food packaged meals, that cram sugar and salt into every available gram of their offerings, you will be fine.
    Every calorie, you take, eliminate the fakes.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    Agree with the eat more camp. A day now and then wont hurt you, but you should definitely be eating more calories on an average basis.

Muscle build, there are quite a few threads on muscle building (weight lifting) and getting an amazing looking body.