tredmill advice

Options
new member looking to drop a few pounds and mostly firm and tone up. yesterday I fast walked/jog at a speed of 3.8 and 4.2 on my treadmill. My time to go 1.5 mile was 23minutes. I was sweating and thought I was pushing myself to do well. Is it me or does that time seriously SUCK? I thought a mile was to be achieved in 12min. Is that walking? running? an athletes time? Am I just in that bad of shape? I know my stats will improve over time, I have just started trying to get fit again. Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated-thanks in advance. I'm 5'4, 140 pounds, medium build. Goal is to look fit probably weigh about 125-130 pounds. I do know I cannot achieve this with treadmill alone. A year ago I did P90X successfully. However, I hurt my shoulder and quit and now I feel I have big flabby arms from suddenly quitting. Hubby said I got too skinny because I wasn't eating enough when doing the P90X. It did help tone me up in places, but I'm afraid to do it again, I don't want even bigger arms. HELP! Any info appreciated I don't know what to do...Just want to be healthier and look good:wink:

Replies

• chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    My experience with my treadmill is that the calculating it does is OFF. I know my running time right now is around an 11 minute mile, but on my treadmill it says I only have .61 miles at 15 minutes so I don't use the treadmill numbers for anything - especially not for calorie counting. I throw a towel over the display, wear my HRM and forget about any of the numbers on the treadmill or I'll be completely discouraged.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    no matter how slow you are, you're still faster than someone sitting on the couch. Time doesn't matter. The fact that you are moving does. Your speed will increase as you get in better shape. Do not ever compare yourself with someone else. You are unique, embrace it :)
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    It is kinda slow but if you were jogging and walking then it's not too bad. Plus, if you were sweating - that's how you know you are getting a good workout! Your stamina and pace will definitely improve as you get fitter. Have you got a training plan? There are plenty available on the internet and I always think it's a good idea to have a plan and know what you are going to do each time you work out, because otherwise it's easier to quit or not push yourself so much. Good luck!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Based on your current stats and goals, I would suggest watching your calorie intake very closely, shoot for a deficit of @ 10% of TDEE. This will reduce body fat. I would also suggest resistance training, my preference is lifting heavy using barbell and weights. You will not get big and bulky, that is a myth. You will however look fantastic. Good luck!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Moving is all that matters in the beginning.... You have crawl before you can walk and you have to walk before you can run... 4 years ago I couldn't walk across the room and in an hour I will brace up and go put 5 miles in on the treadmill at the gym. You just have to build up to it... With bad knee's on my best day I average 12-13 minute miles and for me that is pushing it.... Having goals is fantastic but comparing yourself (time wise) to others is not necessary. You do you and keep challenging your best time whenever you get on the treadmill.... I personally would make sure you are doing some form of resistance training, you will not get big huge bulky muscles lifting weights......

Best of Luck
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I dont recommend treadmills, especially at home. They are bulky pieces of equipment and unnecessary as running outside is much more enjoyable in every single way, and treadmills do some of the work for you.

In any case, a mile. World elite would manage it in 4 minutes. Top club runners 4-5. Keen runners in 'good' shape, 5.5-7. Beginner runners maybe 7-10.

Not an exact science but I wouldnt care too much. If you are concerned about times, the only time you should try and beat is your own, regardless of whether a mile takes 5 or 15 minutes, (but not on a treadmill :-))
  • rslcarson
    rslcarson Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am not very fit at all and although I have jogged before I only started timing and calculating my distance this week.
    I jogged (outside)
    4 minutes jogging
    1 minute walking
    4 minutes jogging
    1 minute walking
    4 minutes jogging
    3 minutes walking home
    I checked my distance approximately online and it was only about 1.5 miles. This was really really pushing myself to the limit and I really couldn't have done much more. but I'm proud of myself. I know I will build up my fitness I could easily have stayed in and watched tv. What your body can achieve is very personal to you. I also have asthma and the temperature was beneath freezing which made breathing conditions difficult. Just take your stat and build on it.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I dont recommend treadmills, especially at home. They are bulky pieces of equipment and unnecessary as running outside is much more enjoyable in every single way, and treadmills do some of the work for you.

Purely opinion. I hate going outside in a foot of snow, slipping on ice, getting freezing rained on or conversely sunburned and heat stroke.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am not very fit at all and although I have jogged before I only started timing and calculating my distance this week.
    I jogged (outside)
    4 minutes jogging
    1 minute walking
    4 minutes jogging
    1 minute walking
    4 minutes jogging
    3 minutes walking home
    I checked my distance approximately online and it was only about 1.5 miles. This was really really pushing myself to the limit and I really couldn't have done much more. but I'm proud of myself. I know I will build up my fitness I could easily have stayed in and watched tv. What your body can achieve is very personal to you. I also have asthma and the temperature was beneath freezing which made breathing conditions difficult. Just take your stat and build on it.

This is a great routine. Keep pushing yourself, without hurting yourself, and remember to have rest days. Any moving is good moving. :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Purely opinion. I hate going outside in a foot of snow, slipping on ice, getting freezing rained on or conversely sunburned and heat stroke.

And how much of the year does weather really prevent running conditions? i.e extreme weather, getting freezing, sunburned? 5-10%?

Rain, as long as it isnt heavy, is ideal.

As mentioned, my main qualm about treadmills is that they do some of the leg moving energy for you, so dont give you the same workout as running in a street.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

In any case, a mile. World elite would manage it in 4 minutes. Top club runners 4-5. Keen runners in 'good' shape, 5.5-7. Beginner runners maybe 7-10.

Not an exact science but I wouldnt care too much. If you are concerned about times, the only time you should try and beat is your own, regardless of whether a mile takes 5 or 15 minutes, (but not on a treadmill :-))

Beginner runners are not 7-10 mins, just to let you know lol.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It did help tone me up in places, but I'm afraid to do it again, I don't want even bigger arms. HELP! Any info appreciated I don't know what to do...Just want to be healthier and look good:wink:

Obviously #1 is diet. You can just diet properly and never exercise and look 'fit'.

If you're trying to tone and look good, you don't need the treadmill.

Go on a clean diet with lower carbs(since you're not doing cardio, you won't need much) and do power yoga/pilates.

Given your goal, that looks like a better fit for you.

My two cents.
  • Betty_Rubble
    Betty_Rubble Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill workouts! I listen to "old school" Now That's What I Call Music - the beast and songs are great to keep a decent pace and put your mind to it and just go, go, go! Baby Got Back, The Humpty Dance, Now That We Found Love - the time flies by for me!
    I usually do:
    5min, 4mph, 4% to warm up
    26 minutes of 4mph, one minute incline intervals from 5% to 10% (usually do 5 to 8 and 9, then end with a couple 5 to 10%)
    Really feels like a good workout!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

Um your numbers are a little off as I can't imagine many beginner runners at a 7 min mile. Maybe if they are 17 and in fantastic shape.
  • jhansla85
    jhansla85 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. A year ago it took me 30 minutes to do a 2.3 mile, and just recently I got my best 5k time of 23.44. The more you do the faster you'll get.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

This is silly advice. Of course, one would not deny the fact that running outdoors is much more enjoyable. But the risk of injury due to hidden patches of ice is way more important to me than an enjoyable run. I would hate to slip on ice and break an ankle or tear a ligament and get sidelined for a month or two. You make due with what you have and take it from there.

Oh, and those times you listed are ridiculous. OP, you have to start somewhere. You're in competition with yourself, not a guide listed somewhere. The more miles you put in, the more you'll improve your endurance and speed. Patience is key.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

And how much of the year does weather really prevent running conditions? i.e extreme weather, getting freezing, sunburned? 5-10%?

Rain, as long as it isnt heavy, is ideal.

As mentioned, my main qualm about treadmills is that they do some of the leg moving energy for you, so dont give you the same workout as running in a street.

Try living in Northwest PA (or anywhere in this part of the country, for that matter). You're out of commission for at least 5 months out of the year if you have a normal day turn job. I'm not a fan of running in snow/ice and in pitch black before or after work.

Treadmills are completely fine. I've been strength training for almost 3 years and still do treadmill work at least 3-4 times a week, even in the summer. I enjoy getting outside for a run as much as I can but when you workout at 5 am it's a little dangerous running outside.

To the OP- go at your own pace. Don't try comparing yourself to others, especially when you're just starting. When I first started, my mile time was upwards of 15 mins, but I didn't let that discourage me. Only now I'm into the 8-9 minute mile range, but running isn't my primary workout- lifting is. If you enjoyed doing P90X you should give it another go if you're healthy enough. You won't get "huge" arms from doing it- you'll lose weight. I've been lifting regularly for almost 3 years with the GOAL of gaining muscle and making my muscles larger and I'm just now nearing my goal body (still have awhile to go yet, too). You don't accidentally get "huge" from working out.
    Purely running to lose weight is going to also burn a percentage of muscle along with fat. Being "toned" comes from having lean body mass under the weight you lose, and if you're burning muscle from pure cardio, you're not doing yourself any favors. That's why you see so many people telling new-comers to also do some form of strength training from the get-go. You could do some at-home strength training, there are tons of body weight routines online. You could also get some weights for at home, if that's possible for you. When it comes to educating yourself the internet is your best friend. There are so many free resources it's crazy.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    new member looking to drop a few pounds and mostly firm and tone up. yesterday I fast walked/jog at a speed of 3.8 and 4.2 on my treadmill. My time to go 1.5 mile was 23minutes. I was sweating and thought I was pushing myself to do well. Is it me or does that time seriously SUCK? I thought a mile was to be achieved in 12min. Is that walking? running? an athletes time? Am I just in that bad of shape? I know my stats will improve over time, I have just started trying to get fit again. Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated-thanks in advance. I'm 5'4, 140 pounds, medium build. Goal is to look fit probably weigh about 125-130 pounds. I do know I cannot achieve this with treadmill alone. A year ago I did P90X successfully. However, I hurt my shoulder and quit and now I feel I have big flabby arms from suddenly quitting. Hubby said I got too skinny because I wasn't eating enough when doing the P90X. It did help tone me up in places, but I'm afraid to do it again, I don't want even bigger arms. HELP! Any info appreciated I don't know what to do...Just want to be healthier and look good:wink:
    A mile in 12 min. would be 5mph. 12min * 5 miles = 60 mins. If you were going between 3.8 and 4.2, you probably averaged 4mph. If you go 4 miles in an hour, how long does it take you to go one? 60 mins divided by 4 = 15 mins. So at 4mph you'll do a mile every 15 mins. or so. At 5mph, every 12 mins.

Which is all irrelevant unless you're planning to race or something. If it got your heart into elevated zones, you got the benefit.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Plus, if you were sweating - that's how you know you are getting a good workout!

No, Sweating just means your body is trying to cool you off. Sweat =/= a good work out, high calorie burn, or fitness.
  • hotmamajenE
    hotmamajenE Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will keep at it and only get better. I do have some lightweight dumbells. Over the years, I have purchased P90X and the Brazil Butt Lift so I'm sure those would help also if I stick to it. I'm going to look on the internet like someone suggested for weight training info. This seems to be a great site for encouragement as well. Thanks again!