Scales not showing progress

Options
I am in week 2 of Jillian Michaels body revolution (6x30 mins workouts a week). I am careful with my calories (1420) but it's not showing on the scales. Has anyone else experienced this? My clothes are looking great but when I get on the scales the numbers are going the wrong way. Is this normal? I'm overly fussed about it but it would be good to have the scales reflect all my hard work.

Do I just need to be more patient?

Replies

• drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have had a few times when my charts have plateaued, for no apparent reason even though I am eating sensibly and exercising well. Once I went around 3 or 4 weeks at the same weight then dropped 3lb the next week. It definitely isn't linear with me. The long term trend is the important thing, though it can get a bit disheartening, I agree.
  • weffie11
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred and it wasn't until the third week that things started to change on the scales. I remember asking others about it and lots of people had the same - third week! The main aim is to look and feel better - stronger, lean muscles are heavier for the volume they occupy than fat, so you may weigh slightly heavier but look a whole lot leaner!! Don't worry!! Keep going!!
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    body fat % and inches. if you track those measures I am willing to bet you'll see the progress there even if it doesn't show on the scale. =)
  • channi_c
    channi_c Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find tracking measurements really helps give a confidence boost if the scales arent moving much but ur doing the right thing.

Im excersising alot and want to get my size back down to a 12 (UK) if that means Im 12stone but a size 12 im happy and if im 10 stone and a size 12 stilll just as happy,

Dont get too concered about the scales, I bet you will reep the rewards in the long term. It can take a week or so for weight to catch up X
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Dont forget, weight loss is down to you and your honestly. Dont blame the scales.
  • morty1966
    morty1966 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Dont forget, weight loss is down to you and your honestly. Dont blame the scales.

I am honest, 100%. Which is why I asked the question.

I shall plod on, see what happens. I'm happy with the way I look, but the scales are not my friends sometimes. I've tried on a new dress I ordered in the sales, UK 14. It looked fab and is 2 sizes smaller than this time last year.
  • morty1966
    Options
    Thanks Weffie, that's good to know. I love her workouts, I am getting stronger with each one.

I'm going to start recording my measurements too. Thanks for that tip everyone.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

I shall plod on, see what happens. I'm happy with the way I look, but the scales are not my friends sometimes. I've tried on a new dress I ordered in the sales, UK 14. It looked fab and is 2 sizes smaller than this time last year.

So often people arent. The main thing preventing weight loss is people dont record things properly, treat things such as sauces, pinches of things, etc as an insignificance and this is the reason why.

It is never the fault of the scales or any other third party.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

So often people arent. The main thing preventing weight loss is people dont record things properly, treat things such as sauces, pinches of things, etc as an insignificance and this is the reason why.

It is never the fault of the scales or any other third party.

:huh:

OP, the scale is a dirty, stinking liar and you shouldn't pay attention to it. Don't think that just because you've gained a couple of lb that means you are doing something wrong, because a lot of the time, you aren't.

Chances are your body is simply adjusting to your new exercise routine and your muscles are retaining water. I gained scale weight when I did 30DS too. It didn't stay on for long, but I have a lot to lose.

Your clothes and measurements are a far more accurate way to measure success.
  • sadyia15
    sadyia15 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    hi, just quick question are you exercising along side the calorie counting?
  • morty1966
    Options
    Thanks Lauren (who looks so much like a friend of mine!). My friend who started losing weight at a similar time loses every week, sometimes a lot, sometimes just a bit. But she doesn't exercise much.

Sadyia, yes I am calorie counting and exercising. I don't eat my exercise calories generally unless I am very hungry. But I have increased my daily calories from 1350 to 1420, to account for the extra exercise.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself with a tape measure. Log the results here on MFP. If you are exercising you may be increasing muscle mass, which makes you leaner (=thinner), but weigh more. I have the same thing. Especially when I started lifting. Hang in there.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles will retain water, this can sometimes mask weight loss.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My irregular weight loss I described above is not down to my eating over for three weeks then having a week where I ate nothing. I do log my intake, and exercise, but the scales do not always show a linear loss (it would be odd if they did as I am human, not a machine), and it is nothing to do with dishonesty or fooling myself. I did that when I wasn't losing weight, before I found MFP.
  • rltigger2
    Options
    it is possible that you are not eating enough calories for your amount of working out and your body may actually be storing all the food you are eating...change up your intake number a little not a lot but add lots of fresh veggies for snacks 2-3 times a day...and also try drinking some caffeine free peppermint tea (I use hot tea) it works on the stomach and keeps it more normal to help the acids break your food down....these tricks helped me when my scale went the wrong direction...I went from 1450 calories to 1500 and went from gaining to losing again...but add veggies not just food....good luck!!!
  • morty1966
    Options

OP, the scale is a dirty, stinking liar and you shouldn't pay attention to it. Don't think that just because you've gained a couple of lb that means you are doing something wrong, because a lot of the time, you aren't.

Chances are your body is simply adjusting to your new exercise routine and your muscles are retaining water. I gained scale weight when I did 30DS too. It didn't stay on for long, but I have a lot to lose.

Your clothes and measurements are a far more accurate way to measure success.

So true!
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    There is a huge difference between losing weight and getting a healthier body.

I am adding another voice saying check your measurements, you may be losing fat but gaining muscle.

and muscle weighs more than fat.

Keep eating and keep exercising with a mix of cardio and weights, you will feel and look so much better
  • morty1966
    Options
    I'm thinking of weighing myself once a month rather than daily as I do now. I find the scales demoralising. Once a week easily leads me to slipping back, but 4 weeks is long enough to show a general trend and stops me obsessing. I will take my measurements though, after all being toned and slim is more important than the number on the scale. I shall weigh myself on the first of the month, then take the batteries out of the scales.
  • growtinymuscles
    growtinymuscles Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of weighing myself once a month rather than daily as I do now. I find the scales demoralising. Once a week easily leads me to slipping back, but 4 weeks is long enough to show a general trend and stops me obsessing. I will take my measurements though, after all being toned and slim is more important than the number on the scale. I shall weigh myself on the first of the month, then take the batteries out of the scales.

Measure and weight yourself once a week (no more often) on the same day and at the same time. Do it is the morning, it will be the most accurate at that time. Two weeks might not be enough time to notice a big change in weight, but you may notice your clothes fitting just a bit better. Keep at it and you will achieve the results you want!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference between losing weight and getting a healthier body.

I am adding another voice saying check your measurements, you may be losing fat but gaining muscle.

and muscle weighs more than fat.

Keep eating and keep exercising with a mix of cardio and weights, you will feel and look so much better
    The OP will not have gained that much muscle in 2 weeks of that sort of routine. At best with proper diet and lifting a few times a week you could gain a pound or so of muscle in 12 weeks. The OPs weight gain after 2 weeks will be water due to the change in exercise routine