What do you eat for breakfast before a cardio workout?

Options
I'm getting back into the swing of things. I'm starting to workout after a long break and will follow a 1200 calorie diet. What do you eat for breakfast before hitting the gym?

Replies

• gelendestrasse
    Options
    Whatever it is make sure it's high in protein. I like peanut butter or a protein smoothie.
  • pbruce706
    pbruce706 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Either a bowl of spoon size shredded wheat with bran (2oz), 1 cup skim milk and 4oz fat free cottage cheese, or two poached omega 3 eggs with two slices whole grain toast. After my cardio I have 1/2 a grapefruit.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

Try things out and figure out what works for you.
    You may find that you can't eat something before working out.

I tried it for a bit, I ate the Chewy 90 calorie bars when I was on 1200 cals.
    Then I stopped eating before the gym and ate 1500 cals plus some of my exercise cals and was much happier.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I usually don't-- and if I do its half a protein bar or string cheese-- but I think its individualized by your hunger.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm another person who doesn't eat breakfast normally- I have to get up to do an hour and a bit at work before I hit the gym, and I'm never hungry that early in the morning.

On days I don't have to go to work, I'd still not eat breakfast and go to the gym a bit earlier, but when I get back the first thing I eat is usually something like poached eggs and avocado on a slice of toast, toast spread with cashew butter and sliced bananas on top, or Greek yogurt pancakes.
  • zoecollins
    zoecollins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My workouts are usually done on a morning so i do them on an empty stomach then have my breakfast afterwards which i try to make sure has good source of protein in it, if not a nutrition shake x
  • nataliesweet19
    Options
    Coffee with skim milk and a banana or a yogurt